SRS Anxiety/Panic Attacks...I think I am crazy

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by vodkacollins, Aug 18, 2009.

1. vodkacollins

vodkacollins New Member

Disclaimer: I have already been to the medical doctor about this today, got an EKG, doctor told me i was fine. I have also called to schedule an appointment with a behavioral psychologist to help me calm down and will meet with her next week.

but yet, i still call on the power of OT to tell me what tricks they have found that work well for them.

I had what i believe was a panic or anxiety attack today while i was at work. i cant figure out what triggered it or why exactly it happened. in the past 6 months i can remember a couple times when something very similar happened. once when my husband was on an international business trip and i was home alone the whole week and the other time when i had a really bad dream and woke up in a panic.

i have lived the last couple years in a state of high stress, i believe, out of a desire to control things i have no control over. i want to find a way of basically letting go and chilling out.

i am open to other peoples ways of calming themselves down. breathing techniques, exercises, books to read, food to eat, etc etc. I know not everything will work for me, but i really would like to find a way of starting to chill out and trying may different methods even before i have my doctors appointment.

any and all suggestions are welcome, thanks guys :)

2. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

Did you ask for benzodiazepines or other anxiety meds?

3. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

4. uneek

uneek OT Supporter

it may be that you feel more secure when you have structure and/or a routine. your husband being out of town (for example), could affect your routine.

might be worth trying to figure out when/how you will be changing from your normal day & try and set up as much structure as possible in advance. for example if your husband is going out of town, planning what you will do every day after work while he's gone.

5. CA

CA New Member

Dr. David Burns' "The Feeling Good Handbook" is a pretty highly regarded book for cognitive therapy. I've never had panic attacks myself, but the section on them in the book offers some really simple solutions that I would never have thought of on my own.

6. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

I've started meditating and it's been fantastic. I listen to this CD almost every day:
    [​IMG]

7. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

8. vodkacollins

vodkacollins New Member

great suggestions, thanks so much! I am heading to the bookstore shortly to check out some books, so i will take a look at the things you guys posted

oh yeah, and if i can, i would like to avoid the medication for now. while i do think that meds can be helpful in many situations, i dont want to depend on them for the rest of my life if i dont have to, and while a quick fix would feel amazing, i am willing to put in the work and time to try and solve this in a med free way.

i'll let you guys know what i find!

9. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

eh. for me, the thing that best helps my anxiety is my faith in something greater than myself which is running things. like you were saying, damn near everything in the world is out of my control, and it's my personal belief that this higher power of mine will take care of things provided i follow a couple simple rules. that's pretty much is. if i can try to believe this, then i also understand that things don't turn out "wrong" or "right", then just happen and that's the way they were meant to be. I don't know if that's makes any sense haha

10. vodkacollins

vodkacollins New Member

i went and bought anxiety for dummies last night (my barnes and noble near me had a small selection for some reason) and ive read through about 5 chapters. i like it so far, so we will see how the rest of the book is and if it helps me at all.....

it makes sense, i just find that i need something more to keep me calm.

11. Panoptimist

Panoptimist Put a bangin' donk on it.

Sounds like the past 20 years of my life.

Every time I get into some routine of a positive frame of mind something gets fuct. I've been told by psychologists that I'm too hard on myself and I have perfection issues.

Life.

12. Panoptimist

Panoptimist Put a bangin' donk on it.

See that shit just scares me.

What helped me was reading a lot of Sartre and studying Existentialism. Responsibility and such. Then I forgot what I had read and lost everything.

13. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Please don't assume I'm saying this in a mean tone (because I'm not), but I really don't think books are what will help you in the heat of the moment. I suggested meditation because it's obviously a much more intense version of deep breathing techniques that can also work well with anxiety attacks.

Since I've started the meditation and deep breathing techniques I haven't had anything near a panic attack in 6+ months :hs:

14. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

When I start to get anxious I color (like Disney coloring book and box of 64s) or knit. There's something about the repetitive motion that's enough to keep my hands busy but the activity is relatively mindless. I usually have start an activity like that just as I'm beginning to feel it come on cause if I wait too long it doesn't work.

15. blackbirdbeatle

The worry cure isn't a feel good book about balancing chi or connecting with your inner child. It's a concrete, scientifically proven method of ridding yourself of worry. Hopefully if you follow it, it will relieve some of your anxiety.

Get these books at the library first.

16. moni

moni OT Supporter

one flipping panic attack and you go for an ekg?? Hell thats funny. I have suffered CONSTANT anxiety mixed with panic attacks daily for over 5 years now. Tried Klonapin,valium,ativan, xanax etc; Counseiing and books up the ass. Finally got a prescription for some med I have never heard of before called clondine I think it is. First time I have calmed down in what seems like forever.

17. Abomb

Abomb New Member

rosea rhodiola helped me feel better for a month while my hormones were going crazy giving me some serious anxiety you can find it at vitamin shoppe

blackb from here suggested it to me

18. vodkacollins

vodkacollins New Member

oh im all for the meditation cds, i just didnt find any at the store i went to. i bought the book that is helping me write a journal about what im feeling when im anxious since i know i need to face those feelings, but i agree, i think its meditation and breathing techniques that will help me when a panic attack comes on.

i want to find something that does this for me as well. part of what im trying to do at the moment is pay attention to when the panic really starts cause once my heart starts beating fast, its too late, and i have no idea its happening before that, though i highly suspect that it is

this wasnt my first attack. and i was at work, the nurse sent me to the doctor, and the doctor did an ekg because thats what he felt he needed to do. paying attention to the tension i have in my body and the worry i have in my brain, i realize that i have been in a state of panic for a few years now but i am just now trying to solve it.

19. blackbirdbeatle

So it worked then huh? I'm taking it daily. Not so much 5-htp anymore but if the OP wants SSRI effects without most of the problems or the withdrawals then you can take 5htp (The only side effect is it may curb your libido like anything that increases serotonin).

The rhodiola with 5-htp seems to work for a lot of people. The amounts are different for everyone but the usual deal with rhodiola is that if you take a little bit it makes you sleepy and if you take a lot it gives you tons of energy. In all doses it's supposed to help with anxiety and stress.

20. Lucky Penny

So I have ptsd and for me, when I'm starting to remember something or have a flashback or start to get very anxious it's like my body knows what's coming before I cognitively recognize it. So subconsciously I start acting differently or start exhibiting certain behaviors that I wouldn't normally do.

It was my SO that recognized this first actually. He pointed it out that before every panic attack it starts with getting fidgety and I'll start twirling my hair. I also get very quiet. Then I'll start biting my lip and picking at my fingernails. Then I start doodling a lot and if I haven't started trying to calm down by then I start to get all jumpy and I've usually got to ride it out. If it's not triggered by something specific whole process usually occurs over the course of a few hours.

There are other things I've noticed too. I've always liked taking showers, I find them very relaxing and I do a lot of my best thinking on the shower. But I know that if I find myself sitting on the floor of the shower and I'm so lost in thought that I've kind of lost track of the time that I'm working on something and I need to start some centering activity before shit hits the fan. Like I was saying before too- the repetitive motion of knitting or coloring allows me to process whatever I've got going on without going into panic mode. I know that the weekends when I suddenly get the urge to repaint my entire apt then I've got to do something about it quick :rofl::rofl:

Anyway, that overdrawn example was to suggest that you have your hubbs help you out with this. Maybe ask him to write down what he notices before during and after you get very anxious or have a panic attack. And write down that you notice too. Compare notes regularly, that way even if you don't feel it coming on you can recognize that it's about to happen and take the steps necessary to get yourself in a supportive or comfortable environment and recenter.

21. vodkacollins

vodkacollins New Member

we actually started talking about this on tuesday and he mentioned a lot of behaviors i am doing without even realizing it that all happen before i have high anxiety. i started a journal to try and track how i feel every day and to try and be more aware of all of those things, and i asked him to do the same thing about how i act on a daily basis. so great suggestion :)

i should seriously learn to knit, i can imagine that would be nice and calming on those bad days.

22. Lucky Penny

Yay!! I hope you can get some good information from your journaling then :big grin:

Knitting is nice cause it's mindless, easy and you can take it anywhere. Plus the yarn is kinda fun :mamoru:

[y]3uw-nUvGrBY[/y]