SRS Anxiety.... or what's my deal.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Opie Winston, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Opie Winston

Opie Winston New Member

I have always been somewhat of a shy person around ppl that I'm not comfortable around, but as of lately, I'm begininng to think i might have anxiety disorder or something of this nature. Whenever I'm put into a slightly uncomfortable situation, it feels like I can't control myself, and I shut down. Here are some specific situations.

1. Speech class - I end up dropping the class in the second week because i had to give a one minute speech (one MINUTE) about another person in class. I knew about the speech since the first day of class, and for the next 2 weeks, I was unhappy and the whole time worried about giving the speech.

2. I never approach or hit on girls anywhere, including when I'm out at the bars. I will not go up to girls I find attractive. Also, I will never make a move on someone when the situation presents itself.

3. I've been 21 for a year now, and I will not go by alcohol by myself, and if I do, I will be shaking the whole time.

4. I basically feel uncomfortable and nervous anytime I'm by myself in public.

5. Lastly, I had a career fair at my college last week, perfert opportunity to meet companies so I can get a internship for the summer, but instead I walked once around, got all nervous and basically ran out.

This is the sad part, I feel like I'm an outgoing person. I was a leader in many college projects, and I'm going to be the captain of my college golf team. I love sharing my opinion.

I feel like this anxiety is ruining my life and making me pass up soooo many great opportunities. If I want to be successful, I need to figure this out.

Thanks for your help and advice. I know its a long read.

2. Plasma

Plasma New Member

What are you anxious about?

If you picture yourself in the situation where you become anxious, what are you worried about? People looking at you? Why, what are you trying to hide? Is it something they are thinking? etc

Drill down until you uncover something :)

3. Opie Winston

Opie Winston New Member

it goes like this..... why are you nervous? There's no reason to be nervous, then why am I nervous? I shouldn't be nervous, there's no reason to be nervous... and it goes in this cycle, making it worse and worse, and I get all flustered. I try not to be hard on myself, but I am. I feel inadequate or less of a person when i feel this. I feel it as a huge weakness.

My hands shake, face gets red, and most of all I feel like I'm out of my body or mind, that I can't control myself or the situation. If I look back on a certain time when I've felt this way, I don't even know or remember what I said.

4. Matt-Z

Matt-Z New Member

Sounds like Social Anxiety Disorder. I have a close friend that suffers from it. Best is to seek advice from a professional.

5. sp0rk in the ear

sp0rk in the ear New Member

6. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Keep forcing your self to do things and you will get over it slowly.

7. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

:werd: