SRS Anxiety Meds...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by verbal, May 28, 2009.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

I know some of you in here take anxiety meds. Since some things have been going on lately, I've been really anxious at times. I have an appointment with my doctor for a few things, one of them being anxiety. I don't want something I have to take on a regular basis. Just something that I can take when I'm feeling crazy anxious.

Any tips on what meds I should avoid and which I should 'aim' for? Since I'm never taken any anti-anxiety meds, I'm not sure what's good and what's bad. I know everyone is different, but I'm just looking to hear some experiences.

2. Daria

Daria New Member

Ask your doctor about Ativan. My boyfriend was taking it twice a week 3 or 4 months ago because he was going through a rough time at work, but he hasn't taken it since. He keeps some on him just incase. Our doctor is cool with it.

3. illectronic

illectronic I'm Coming Home OT Supporter

A lot of options.

4. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

If you don't want to commit to a daily medication then you need to first simply try deep breathing and/or meditating.

5. zameil

zameil OT Supporter

Stay away from effexor

6. verbal

verbal Active Member

He wanted to give me Wellbutrin but my insurance wouldn't cover it. After hearing this, I called and stated that I'd rather have something I can take as needed instead of something I have to take once or twice daily. But he gave me a 2 week sample pack of Lexapro. Took the first today and I'm not sure I like it cause I've been randomly nauceous through the day.

7. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

:uh: Dude, pretty much every and any anti-depressant is going to make you sick for at least 1-2 weeks.

You seem to be obsessed with quick fixes. There are no quick fixes.

8. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

it's a very common american mentality. 'Give me a pill to fix my problem for me'

9. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

This man speaks the truth and his AV is proof of it.

10. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Depending on what type of anxiety you have, it could be the only solution. Generalized anxiety pretty much needs medication since therapy or cognition change doesn't really work.
    Plus, pills that you take "when you need it" are probably benzodiazepine, and there's a higher risk of dependance than with antidepressants.

11. CoffinRX2

CoffinRX2 New Member

I was previously taking Effexor and Xanax for depression and anxiety, and have now swapped to Pristiq, Seroquel and Xanax occasionally.

Effexor works great at the time ..... but a bitch to get off! ... I ended up having to admit myself to the local emergency department at 4am one morning due to the withdrawals

12. FairyTat

FairyTat Anticipation, the taste of things to cum

50 mg of Imiprimine every night before bed. It keeps me from having panic attacks during the night, helps me sleep and evens me out during the day.