SRS Anxiety Issues

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by IHAMWETARDDID, Jul 14, 2008.

1. IHAMWETARDDID

IHAMWETARDDID "We could make babies and accidental songs..."

Good afternoon all,

Hm, I was wondering if the way I am feeling is uncommon and what to think of my current emotions. It seems as though I am suffering from extreme anxiety. I have had emotion problems in the past i.e. clinical depression and have been on several types of medications for this. One day about 3 years ago, I stopped taking my medication cold turkey because one of my close friends found them and made me feel like shit for having to take all the medications for something that was "all in my head." Ever since then, I have not gone back to the doctor and am extremely hesitant to taking medications.

I know I am depressed, how else can you explain random sob sessions & the feeling of hopelessness. I mean, I am not too bad off financially and I have a steady relationship and so forth, but I feel horrible inside for feeling like this. I know so many more people who have it worse off then me but still these feelings will not pass no matter what I tell myself.

Anyways, lately I have been noticing myself becoming extremely anxious over even the most minute situations. For example, if I know I need gas in my car I will fret over it all night long and up until the moment I get gas, but the feeling of having to stop and get gas will make me anxious in itself. Another example, if I am at a restaurant or a public place in general, I get a feeling that something horrid is about to happen and I start envisioning these things and begin to feel panic. It has not gotten to the point of physical panic yet although I have been there in the past. Today in class, the teacher was discussing a topic and my thoughts took over and I felt as though I wanted to cry; IN THE MIDDLE OF CLASS! I would say that 7/10 times I am driving, I am also crying. I don't know what is causing all of this but it is really starting to worry me.

I have a fear/anxiousness about going to see a psychologist/psychiatrist but I think its time. Who should I go see first? I have been to both an uncountable amount of times when I was growing up. These little "attacks" are affecting my everyday life and could start to cause strife in my relationship with my boyfriend. Does anyone have any suggestions? I also do not want to be a zombie like I was before on those medications but if I need medicine then I know I need to take it. Thank you for all your help in advance. Just needed to get this off my chest.

Cliffs: I've recently started feeling extremely anxious in what should be neutral situations. Should I see psychiatrist or psychologist first? I have exp. w/ both, but when I was growing up. Please read for further info. :hs:

2. Imok

Imok New Member

Iham, please don't beat yourself up over this. If you had diabetes would you be so hard on yourself? probably not. Any mental disorder has to do with something misfiring in your brain. You NEED to get medical help immediately before you get any worse. Don't be ashamed for what you are feeling, to you, these are real emotions and feelings and no matter what anyone says, you cannot just "snap out of it" or "get a grip". Please, please, don't let anyone make you feel "inferior or bad" for having depression and/or anxiety problems. They are just as real as someone who has heart problems, or diabetes.

I would go to my family physician first. Often times, they can give you a prescription for antidepressants or anti anxiety pills without even going to the psychologist or psyschiatrist.

So, tomorrow, you make an appt. and get in there. The sooner the better. Just remember that the meds don't usually work right away, you have to give them a chance to get into your system.

3. IHAMWETARDDID

Well, I have already been to my primary about this and he suggests, because of my extensive history with depression, that I go immediately to see a psychologist or psychiatrist. I am just not sure which to go see first. Maybe I should go to the psychologist and then they can refer me to a psychiatrist if need be. Thank you for your help and I truely understand that mental issues are a medical condition. When the situation happened with my friend I was young and naive and was always told by my mom that again, it's all in my head. Honestly, the only medication that really showed a difference was Zoloft, I took that when I was about 15-16 but I maxxed out on the dosage and it stopped working. Since then I have been unable to see sucessful as when I was taking Zoloft.

Thanks for your input.

4. Imok

Imok New Member

Iham, I'd go directly to the psychiatrist then since they can prescribe meds and psychologist can't.

5. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

There are many threads on this issue in this forum, if you want some more opinions just search "anxiety" in here. But anywho, I personally think seeing a professional could really help you. They don't necessarily have to put you on meds, but talking about how you are feeling is a great way to relieve stress right there, on top of the fact that they can give you tips on how to live with your anxiety better if not cure it.

I went years ago and my anxiety is way down. Haven't had a bad attack in a few months and am very happy about that :x:

My point is, go. Thinking about it constantly to yourself will not help, why not try every possible option?

6. IHAMWETARDDID

Thanks, should've searched the thread before I posted. Sry :o Congrat's on your success.

7. iwishyouwerebeer

Oh no sorry necessary, just figured it might help because it can be helpful even to see just how many others feel the same way.

And thanks :) Do you think you will get yourself to a psych?

8. IHAMWETARDDID

Ya, I understand. Thanks. I am def. going to try and go see someone. I have to check my insurance to see how to go about mental health coverage. I know they offer it but have never looked into it.

I am starting to become aware that everyday the anxiety is getting worse and worse and I am sinking farther into a depression. When people ask me what is wrong I am unable to point out just one thing. It seems as though its everything all tangled together. When people around me start to notice it, I get worried because usually I appear to be a very happy & outgoing person. Thats just how I act, but once I am alone, its a different story.

9. iwishyouwerebeer

I was the same way. No one had a clue I was depressed. Then I'd sit in my room and have massive attacks. It sucked. That's why opening up helped so much. Someone unbiased who didn't judge me.

10. IHAMWETARDDID

I do the same thing! I'll be driving in my car or walking somewhere and all of a sudden I suddenly get the feeling of overwhelming sadness and the only way to make it better is to cry. I know this cant be normal because it has been going on for a while now. I have been to doctors before, when I was little. Back then, I thought I knew how to play the system thought and I always felt that they were out to get me in trouble rather than help me. My complex of doctors is negative but I would love to prove myself wrong!

11. iwishyouwerebeer

I hear ya. People come in here or ask me personally if therapy really works and I think it can help (not always) if you go into it with an open mind. As long as you are there to really try and open up, really try and get help I think it's a great tool :hs:

12. IHAMWETARDDID

Exactly, at this age I would be willing to go into therapy with an open mind and WANTING help. When I was younger I did not think I had a problem therefore there was no need for help!

That was my problem also. I did not want to open up. One time, when I was younger, I thought I was starting to open up and I told the therapist something and she made DCF come to the house to investigate my living condition and they made my sister and I stay with relatives for a couple days. That was traumatizing at the time and from then on my trust issues seemed to progressively get worse..

13. Imok

Imok New Member

I agree with therapy, it can be a great tool. I think with a mix of therapy plus meds you will see such a difference. In all honesty, it sounds like you are in a pretty good depression, been there, done that. Therapy has been helpful by giving me tools to help me deal with anxiety when it comes;however, I NEED the antidepressants as well.

Sounds like you had a traumatic experience with therapist but don't let that sway you from them. They can be helpful, if just for someone neutral to talk to. They are sworn to privacy unless you divulge that you are going to harm yourself or someone else. I think you've made a big step just to be discussing it, give yourself a pat on the back for acknowledging that you need some help, that is a huge first step you know. Takes a lot of strength to realize this.

I'd love to know how you make out with this.

14. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Haven't had a chance to read everyone's response yet or your whole post but I just wanted to tell you and sorry if its mentioned if you are a caffeine drinker cut it out entirely, that alone has helped my GA.

15. IHAMWETARDDID

I have been here and done this also but this time its more than just a depression. My anxiety is driving me mad. I don't want to become reliant on antidepressants but, at this point, any help will be considered a good thing.

Thanks, I understand the first step to admit you need help, LOL my dad was part of NA until he relapsed so I know that program well. I know I need help, now its time to act upon my yearning to be helped. Hmf..

16. IHAMWETARDDID

Well, I will admit that I do consume caffeine on a daily basis but it has been consistent over the years. I have not increased nor decreased my caffeine intake in any way so I don't know if caffeine is playing a role in my anxiety. I mean, its worth a try, but one thing I am "addicted" to is diet soda. I know its really bad but its better than being addicted to narcotics or alcohol. Ah, my excuse to drinking caffeine. LOL Thanks for your comment though

17. Paulie Walnuts

Sure my friend, feel free to contact me at anytime Im always available to a fellow Asylum friend that needs an ear to listen or vent to.

Yahoo!IM and AIM: PaulieWalnuts447

Oh and give cutting it out a try, it might work out nicely.

18. Wilddog

Wilddog OT Supporter

Alot of clinics offer anxiety and depression classes that are usually only 2 hrs a week for a few months. I took them for my anxiety and they helped me tremendously. They teach you to deal with anxiety through various mental techniques and they promote the ability to get off meds. Also, you learn that things like caffiene can have a large impact on your anxiety

19. Paulie Walnuts

Can you give us a few pointers from what you learned please?

20. Paulie Walnuts

I know never judge a book by its cover but wow I never expected someone like you to be depressed or have GA issues.

21. HatSee

HatSee Active Member

Go back on the pills. Your friend doesn't exactly know what they are talking about, so their opinion shouldn't matter.