SRS Anxiety attacks / Meds / Etc.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Turboed_2, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Turboed_2

Turboed_2 .

Recently a lot of stress had been dumped on me all at once. My fathers declining health, relationship issues and a lot of stress at work are what I have on my plate right now. I've never had anxiety problems much, aside from the normal ones, like pre-interview and first days of jobs, that sort of thing, but recently, I started getting them for no reason (that I know of). I had one last Monday which was mild but Tuesday it just shot straight up and I immediately went to the doctor and talked to him about what's going on. He wound up increasing my Celexa from 20 > 40 and also gave me a Xanax prescription. I hate to say it, because of how addictive it is, but the Xanax is actually helping me until my body transitions from the 20mg of Celexa to the 40. However, I'm trying to be strong and not use the Xanax unless I have real problems, of course as soon as I tell myself that, I start feeling more and more down, which leads to me just using it to make myself feel better. A couple of highlights were taking xanax as soon as I got up one day (shitty morning) and one night where I took xanax and washed it down with some beer.

So here's the thing. I'm tired of anxiety. I hate it and I want it to stop, hopefully my celexa will help some, but I've been exercising again also, just to try to help myself feel better overall, but does anyone have any other solutions? I mean, I try to just sit down and relax and breathe, you know the most common thing to do, or so it seems, but that really doesn't help much. Any advice is appreciate, thanks guys.

2. zameil

zameil OT Supporter

I don't know so much as per US v Australian meds but I use "Effexor" which my doc prescribed for me.
    It took all anxiety from me and enhanced my ability to concentrate etc.
    It also has stopped my depression bouts and controlled my anger

(I was a very violent short tempered 5 foot 11 110kilogram guy so no one argued with me which made it worse) and now I'm placid, better mannered I can deal with dickhead clients and the stress's that go with work/ family etc.

I've been on these for about 9 months now and in short it worked for me.

The only side effects was after I take them they turn me into a fuckin zombie for about two hours then I come good, and you get some sex probs like you can get it up but it takes forever to bust your nut.

But definately worth it.

I also meditate for two hours every morning.

3. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

My husband deals with anxiety and extreme panic attacks. He takes Effexor, but it completely killed his sex drive so he is supposed to switch to something else.

4. zameil

zameil OT Supporter

Sounds like it could be a common problem with Effexor. It didn't kill my sex drive but it did affect it. Like I said it seems to have worked for me.

5. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

It is one of the side effects of Effexor. His appt with his doctor is finally on Monday, so hopefully it will come back soon :hs:

6. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

I went through the same thing. Still am. I do not take xanax, i'm a recovering addict. I was started on Zoloft, which was waaaay too strong, and made my dick quit working :ugh:

Been on Prozac 2 weeks, anxiety is virtually gone i'd say. Only side effects i've seen is a little headaches at first, but they are tapering off, and my fingers tremble sometimes. No sexual side effects, no insomnia, it's really helped alot.\\

I also do counseling (psychotherapy) and 12 step programs

7. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Yeah, that's was I was going to suggest, psychotherapy with a psychologist could really help. The only treatments that have been proven as "well-established" for anxiety problems are cognitive-behavior therapy and exposure treatment.

8. Turboed_2

Turboed_2 .

It's been a couple of days and I haven't really felt too anxious. I woke up early this morning though thinking about things and had a hard time going back to sleep, so I'm up an hour and a half before my alarm goes off. The weekend wasn't so bad, I went running on Saturday for a couple of miles and walked a couple of miles too. I'm beginning to think that the Celexa is kicking in more now than it was before. I just hope that it stays like this. As for therapy, I go and talk to one once a week. It usually helps me for a while, like after the session I tend to ask a lot of random questions to people involved with my situations (like the ex) and tend to feel a little better.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm rambling, still a bit tired :hs:

9. Savage

Savage New Member

I was on 150 mgs of Effexor for depression and anxiety, and the shit worked wonders after the first few months of acclimation (which were rough). And it also affected my sex drive, but in a different way. It actually increased my libido by a huge amount. My amateur diagnosis for that is that I have pretty bad anxieties regarding sex (due to my highly religious upbringing), and that was one of the anxieties to get wiped out while on the drug.

I'm off the Effexor now (trying to live drug free :hs:), and when I decided to quit, I quit cold turkey. Let me tell you, that was a NASTY withdrawal. I almost lost my gf due to the two months of hell I went through.

10. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

What's the approach that you therapist uses ?

11. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

:wtc: My husband's doctor is weaning him off of the Effexor, but he's only taking 2 weeks to do it. I was on Effexor once and I remember that I had a terrible time getting off of it too.

12. Savage

Savage New Member

I tried to taper down, but felt like complete shit. So if I figured the only reason to taper down was to not feel like shit and I was already feeling like shit, I might as well go cold turkey. I had no idea that I literally wouldn't have been able to stand up or talk correctly for almost a day.