Anxiety after eating

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by storm2099, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. storm2099

storm2099 Active Member

So for the past 3-4 weeks I've been getting really bad anxiety after meals. Wake up in the morning and I feel perfectly normal, but after I start eating I'm hit with this chest/stomach anxious feeling that, due to eating every 2-3 hours, lasts right until bed time. It does start going away, until the next meal kicks in.

I have a doc appointment, but wanted to see if anyone here may have any ideas? What a shitty feeling :squint:

2. Bodhi

Bodhi My crotch is red .. my lambos blue .. and ill be g

you shouldn't be getting anxiety after you eat .. unless you triggered something bro .. what happened BEFORE you started getting anxiety after eating

3. storm2099

storm2099 Active Member

The only thing that changed (meal / activity wise) is that I dropped coffee all-together. I used to drink 3-4 cups a day, if not more. I was expecting some detox headaches, but I can't imagine it would cause anxiety?

Should I get my cortisol levels checked? I imagine this could really mess with gym progress.

4. storm2099

storm2099 Active Member

Actually, now that I think about it... I did switch my multivitamin from garbage centrums (never realized how bad they were) to orange triad around the same time.

5. heebler elf

heebler elf Guest

shove a xanax up your vagina

6. Bodhi

you went cold turkey on 3-4 cups of coffee a day bro ..

research caffeine and its withdrawal effects

i wouldn't go apeshit bananas with dr drewing it all up on your own .. let the man with the phd give you the remedy

7. storm2099

storm2099 Active Member

I figured this was the cause, at first. However, it's only supposed to last about 5 days at most. This is going on for almost a month.

We'll see what the Doc says, but knowing them they'll just try to prescribe an anti-depressant.

8. Bodhi

anti-depressants .. join the ranks of the zombie nation

[​IMG]

9. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Caffeine withdrawal can cause anxiety, but it wouldn't last a month.

Have any stressful events occurred lately? You may have developed an anxiety disorder. It's not uncommon for anxiety suffers to experience anxiety when eating. In fact, people who have anxiety disorder often are anxious all day, but it tends to get really bad upon eating.

Anxiety perpetuates itself, so if you became anxious while eating once it's possible that you now have a subconscious trigger to get anxious at every meal.

Maybe work on some deep breathing techniques a few minutes before eating and see if that helps.
    If that does not help, see a doc to discuss what could be the root cause of this.

10. The Great Deceiver

The Great Deceiver 21st Century Schizoid Man

Are you eating alot of red meats? Because in red meats, when they kill the animal, he's in alot of fear, so you're eating the fear of the animal and you feel pretty anxious

11. Voltekker

Voltekker Active Member

Thats true how much red meat are you eating ? I cry every time I have a steak.

12. storm2099

storm2099 Active Member

:bigthumb:

13. storm2099

storm2099 Active Member

No stressful events. Everything's going quite good actually. Though it does sound like what you're describing. I'm leaning towards to the whole caffeine thing.

14. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

i love the taste of fear

15. hip hippo

hip hippo Eric Berry, son.

suffering is better, imo.

16. Daria

Daria New Member

I would be interested to hear what your Dr. has to say.

17. CPop

CPop New Member

Anxiety runs in my family and I've had my fun with it. I noticed an increase in axiety from time to time after eating. What I determined was that it was my stomach that was upset, lots of burping. Somehow the vagus nerve was getting stimulated, which was causing heart palpitations and anxiety.

Pay attention to what you eat, for me artificial sweeteners seem to bother me. Coke zero tends to have the biggest effect on me; I used to drink it often and was fine, but reached a point where I cannot handle it without the promise of excessive burping/palpitations and feeling like shit. Not worth it.

Good luck, talk to your doctor and see what he says.

18. BlaXicaN

BlaXicaN OT Supporter

i have read about the vagus nerve being stimulated. i get frequent heart palpitations/racing and i have had an echo and a stress test show normal.

it's definitely what you eat as i have learned. i tend to stay away from very sweet stuff, anything that has caffeine, etc. you should also read up on foods that have msg.
    i know the feeling you're talking about after eating; i get real bloated before the anxiety, especially if i eat like dessert. fatty foods and fast foods will cause this problem too. just try to eat more balanced; also do not eat before going to bed, and sleep well.

19. Bodhi

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.