GUN Antis pissed that Police auctioning M16

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Feb 27, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070227/NEWS05/702270351/1138/BLOG

apeer Co. Sheriff's office to sell machine gun to the highest bidder
    Department needs the money

February 27, 2007

BY STEVE NEAVLING

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

You, too, could be the proud owner of an automatic weapon -- courtesy of the Lapeer County Sheriff's Office.

Via its Web site, www.county.lapeer.org/sheriff, the department is auctioning off a fully automatic M16, dating to the mid-1970s and capable of firing about 700 rounds a minute. The only requirement is that bidders have a machine gun permit -- available to any adult who doesn't have a criminal record.

Advertisement
    Purchased by the department for $500 in the '70s, the weapon, which Lapeer's law enforcers thought might be needed in the event of an emergency like a hostage crisis, has never been fired outside of a shooting range. Undersheriff Robert Rapson said Monday he thinks it may be worth as much as $17,000 now.

So what's a county sheriff's department doing selling a fully automatic machine gun?

What else? Raising money.

Rapson said his office hasn't received a budget increase in six years and desperately needs funds for new guns and other equipment for its 82 deputies.

"We are a small county, and we need to take advantage of this," Rapson said. "We've had to cut to the bone for a long time."

On its Web site, the sheriff's office began taking bids two weeks ago; the deadline is May 1.

The Colt M16 A1 is described as "collector quality ... in excellent to new condition."

"This is the real deal from the Colt factory and marked as M16 with safe, semi and auto selector switch," the Web site reads.

Rapson said he's not worried about a potential safety threat because he's confident that the background check and permit process -- which anyone interested in the weapon must go through with the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives -- will weed out potential bidders who might have criminal intentions.

But gun control advocates say it could end up in the wrong hands.

"Even the most reasonable gun owner doesn't want to see this kind of weapon in circulation," said Shikha Hamilton, president of the Michigan chapter of Million Mom March, a gun control group. "The fact that a law enforcement agency is selling a dangerous weapon is appalling."

A 1986 federal law banned the sale of new automatic weapons but allowed those already in circulation to be legally sold. A few states have passed laws outlawing the sale of all automatic guns, but Michigan is not among them.

There are more than 6,500 registered machine guns in Michigan, according to the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

2. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

God damn this bitch woulda had a heart attack in the 60s and 70s.....

3. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

I dont get why everyone is allpussyhurt. I mean its a fucking POLICE DEPT selling the rifle. If anything, it should be one of the most safe and thorough background checks.

And wtf, to an anti trying to put words us gun owners mouths? I mean "no gun owners want to see this dangerous baby killer on the streets"
    I guess I can go ahead and be quoted saying that even antis love guns and use them to rape 13 year old retarded children

4. Gimik

Gimik New Member

See what she did here? She says the "reasonable gun owner" don't want to see it, so if you agree, you become an "unreasonable gun owner". That's all they have to do.

5. cura

cura New Member

I want to see more baby killers like this on the street. Transferable autos are outrageously overpriced.

6. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

A reasonable gun owner will have common sense and reasoning and will realize the rifle will be sold to someone with money and the appropriate background checks will be done.
    So in otherwords a that bitch needs to pull hitlers cock out of her ass

7. Pump Scout

Pump Scout New Member

8. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'd hit it

with my truck

9. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

So that weapon is theoretically transferrable just because it was made prior to 1986?

10. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

same here, but since I dont have a truck, I would have to go with a tire iron....

11. Chris

Chris New Member

I hear you can find good deals in Somalia, just take it apart and FedEx the parts home

maybe send a few pieces to your momma's house just for good measure

12. Chris

Chris New Member

ACTUALLY transferable, no theory about it

13. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Hm, probably thousands of those sitting around SWAT team armories and the like... could drive down the price of NFA weapons and be a source of funding for police departments/cities out there. And the police departments would still come out ahead since the price of new full-auto weapons is considerably lower...

14. t1h

t1h Guest

no criminal record? is that for misdemeanors and felonies or just felonies?

15. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

I dont think it would be enough of an amount to see any fluctuation in the price of machine guns.

16. Chris

Chris New Member

:werd:

17. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Probably true. But it seems like it would be a decent source of funding for police departments especially if they get those NFA weapons a whole lot cheaper. I think it would be great the more full auto firearms there are out there. More fun for someone :)

18. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

That`s here in MI

19. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Unfortnently I think alot of them get destroyed or end up sitting in police museums... I remember reading awhile back about some PD that was going to destroy several transferable thompsons :wtc:

20. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Don't get me wrong. I think it would be a good idea. But you dont see many police departments selling of their old stock like they did in the 60s and 70s. And Im betting there are a bunch of city policies that would prevent the sale of such items.

However, if a bunch of departments did sell. Just because a bunch of M16s flood the market, wont change the price of other MGs as a whole.

21. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

what a dumb slut. if these people actually took some time to educate themselves about an issue rather than spew blind fear from their fat fucking mouths they'd realize that gun control causes more harm than good :mad:

22. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

waaahhhh the police are selling a gun!

give me a fucking break :mb:

23. reman

reman New Member

machine gun permit?

24. Chris

Chris New Member

25. luvitlo94

luvitlo94 Make a choice and don't look back.

Yeah, the same county did this back about 6 months ago or so, but with a total of 8-10 i think.