SRS Antidepressants May Spur Brain Cell Growth

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RUchaps, Dec 28, 2005.

1. RUchaps

RUchaps Active Member

I'm always on the look out for new information concerning antidepressants since so much is still unknown about them.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20051228/hl_hsn/antidepressantsmayspurbraincellgrowth

TUESDAY, Dec. 27 (HealthDay News) -- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), a widely used class of antidepressant drugs that include Celexa, Paxil, Prozac and Zoloft, boost nerve fiber growth in key parts of the brain, according to a study with rats.

The finding may help explain how SSRIs work and why it takes a few weeks before some antidepressants begin to have an effect.

The research team from Johns Hopkins University found that SSRIs increased the density of nerve impulse-carrying axons in the frontal and parietal lobes of the neocortex and part of the limbic brain that controls smell, emotions, motivations, and organs that work reflexively, such as the heart, stomach and intestines.

"It appears that SSRI antidepressants rewire areas of the brain that are important for thinking and feeling, as well as operating the autonomic nervous system," study leader and neuropathologist Dr. Vassilis E. Koliatsos said in a prepared statement.

It has long been thought that antidepressants work by increasing synaptic concentrations of the brain chemicals serotonin and norepinephrine, enhancing or stimulating their transference.

"But our findings -- that serotonin reuptake modulators increase the density of nerve synapses, especially in the front part of the brain -- may offer a better explanation of why antidepressants are effective and why they take time to work," Koliatsos said.

The study appears in the January issue of the Journal of Neurochemistry.

More information
    The American Academy of Family Physicians has more about antidepressants.
    http://familydoctor.org/012.xml

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1471-4159.2005.03562.x

3. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

i never have and never will condone the use of antidepressents..they are garbage imo.

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Garbage that save countless lives and make countless more worth living ;)
    Pretend Mental Illness isn't real, and it will go away, huh? Good luck with that. Anyway, this forum isn't a place to vent ones feelings against anti-depressants. Try On-Topic for that.

5. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

why is it than placebo's seem to work just as well over 50% of the time, and excersize is proven to make the same effects as antidepressents..?? but either way.. this will be my last post on this topic i guess in here..

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Anti-depressants are subject to double blind studies. Those that don't outperform placebos don't make it to market. You really have no idea what you're talking about. Like I said, keep it to another forum. The last thing people in this forum need is people who care nothing about them or their problems discouraging them from getting the help they need because you feel like projecting your ideology onto their situation.

7. RUchaps

RUchaps Active Member

very eloquent.

i think exercise can be a better option to anti-depressants, but only if its effective. I'm very athletically oriented and i've been a faithful visitor of a gym since i began highschool, but eventually that alone wasnt doing it. And when depsression hits, the first thing to go is often your will to do things like exersicing bc you dont see the point any longer.

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

The problem with that is that most people have trouble sticking to an exercise regimen when they are depressed. Their mood isn't stable enough, and their outlook isn't rational enough, to struggle through those first few weeks in the gym. Just getting out of bed is hard enough.

9. RUchaps

RUchaps Active Member

http://www.mercola.com/2000/dec/31/antidepressants.htm

The doctor's reviews below sound a bit extreme, but he makes a good point.

>Dr. Mercola's Comment:Here is another reason to avoid antidepressant medications. Any drug that promotes cell growth has the potential to promote cancer as well. In addition, the fact that the mechanism of action of these drugs are not fully understood should really underscore the potential for problems. After all, if the mechanism is not known, there is no way to reasonably predict all the unintended effects of these drugs.

Does this mean they should never be used? Absolutely not. I must use them about once every month or two for patients in severe trouble, as an interim measure until we are able to sort through some causative factors that will improve the person in the long run.

Are the herbal antidepressants better? I tend not to use hebs like St. John's Wort as they, like the drugs, are only temporary band-aids, and I have found the drugs to be more consistently effective.

Ultimately tools like journaling, prayer, exercise and some of the modalities that we use in our office like DCA are what help the person resolve their health issue at a profoundly and more permanent level.

10. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

woah wait, stop the presses.

Something can CAUSE CANCER?

All it takes is a good summer day in Los Angeles or Houston to induce cancer.

I'll take my chances with SSRIs, thank you very much.

11. johan

johan Active Member

I tolerate every person's opinion here in Asylum -- everyone has the right to speak and be heard -- but your statement above (in bold) is simply not true.

Sorry, but it isn't. Not even close.

12. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

okay well i stoped talking, but clearly other ppl are responding, i know this is a crappy google search, and tommarow when i am not so tired and sleepy, i will back up my claim from scientific journals, but here is something to keep you thinking where i was going. I understand the major claim today in the psychology world is to hand out antidepresents, but guess what.. antidepressents don't solve anything, since as soon as you take a person off of them, or ween them off, they seem to feel depressed again. I am a firm beliver that if no other behavioral method works, one can always give medicine a chance. But my assertion and problem with antidepressents are just that, they don't cure, only set aside the depression. Anyway here are some crappy links, and i will try to provide some from science journals tommarow..

http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/p020906.html
    http://www.mcmanweb.com/article-18.htm
    http://www.bio.net/bionet/mm/neur-sci/2002-May/048456.html

Another point to note is that in order for a drug to be approved by the FDA it is only tested to make sure it works or what not for a couple of months, which is not nearly sufficiant enough when people are stuck on antidepressent for Years! I know i make some harsh claims, but this is what i have gathered from the information that i have studied from in the past.

too Peyomp: If the only thing that works for someone is antidepressents, even if i do belive there are better methods than great! I would advise that person to use it if they feel they really are being more productive and are seeing gains in terms of mood. I am by no means telling anyone to stop taking antidepresents, we are humans and have a mind of our own, but in my mind, antidepressents are junk. There is a proven method (excersize) which leads to as much gain as antidepressents do, and granted one is not in the mood to do aerobic excersize. A psychiatrist should adminstor antidepressent for a bit to get them onto a routine where they do workout, than ween them off, but unfortunaltly this does not happen.. and many people are stuck with having to pop a zoloft for some years. =(

13. svetlanalemon

svetlanalemon A little blood and vomit on the car seat...

im kinda going to have to go with Legend Zero

just because of the fact that in America antidepressants are being prescribed like candy, without other options

i think antidepressants should be last resort, as they directly affect the brain and receptors, you never know what can happen, as with amphetamines and other psychoactive drugs

alternative methods should be looked over, and practiced before resorting to drug intake

14. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Anti-depressants and therapy in combination are the most effective treatment for depression. You can suffer because of your ideology if you want, but people that actually want to get better will take the pills, do the work in therapy, and lead richer, happier lives than you will... should you fall victim to this disease. Good luck being needlessly ill.

15. johan

johan Active Member

well you know, lots of stuff causes cancer. seeing p-dog's name above this reminds me that metronidazole causes cancer, but hell, if you need a massive dose of metro...you're gonna take it. Else you're going to die in about 3 weeks of bloody diarrhea instead of 40 years from now.

Anyways, the point is, lots of stuff causes cancer. The real issue is, what are the tradeoffs, how can we get more of the benefits and less of the sideeffects.

SSRI's are extremely useful tools, and a short term of therapy with them can completely turn someone's life around, and the extra risk of cancer is hard to quantify, but is probably on the "very low" side.

16. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

If I hadn't taken Metronidazole, which definately causes cancer, repeatedly... I'd be better off. Dead, with a bloody ass. God bless the anti-medication bitches, and their dead fat corpses. Pile mine with the others! I left myself unto you! Now carry me!

Now I'll probably get a heart attack, cancer (from something else... harrumph!) or walk in front of a bus. What a wasted opportunity life is... I coulda gone all natural! At least then I woulda known, you know that i wasn't WEAK and DEFECTIVE that I couldn't kill the Amoebas on MY OWN, by TRYING HARD.

Sometimes thats all that matters. Its not about being sick or being well. Its how you fight the completely unneccessary battles without the aid of modern medicine that makes you feel less like a pathetic piece of dogshit, momentarily, to yourself, before you die from it. Or worse, 10 years before it kills you and it just goes and goes and goes... and you're so miserable holding out for help that the red cross would shoot you in the face if they saw you because your masochistic ass refuses the medicine that any fool with an MD could give. But at least you didn't take a pill! Shew.

Naturalism is the way to suffering. The only way to cure depression without being a radio-talk-show-loser is to give up and embrace, rather than defeat it. Kill yourself 10 minutes after you finally get on the air. At least you've been heard, in the only forum that matters, that is thoroughly outside your sick mind.

God bless those Amoebas, anyway.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
  17. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

btw, alcohol is a depressant, and i will be in Vancouver starting Mar 1.