SRS Antidepressants. Is it worth it? Have you taken them?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by wimp, Dec 27, 2006.

1. wimp

wimp New Member

Highschool to freshman year of college I was very depressed. I'd be depressed about everything from the way I looked to my social life, which actually wasn't that bad in retrospect. Depression was a part of my daily life. It became so routine that I became accustomed to it and I don't know how to explain it, but when you're so deep down into depression, you don't really want to feel happy again because it becomes so routine. I'd think about suicide almost regularly and would just feel sorry for myself.

Eventually I started smoking pot and I loved the stuff. It made me feel happy and comfortable. It's hard to describe but when I was depressed, I longed for a comfortable, relaxing haven. My favorite book when I was little was the Fantastic Mr. Fox because Mr. Fox creates this large underground labirynth in which he takes everything he and his family needs from the crooked farmers. It seemed like paradise. A cozy little zone where one was safe from harm and was self-sustained. What I longed for was my own safe haven away from the world where I could just be safe, warm, and comfortable. Anyways, that's what drugs create... I guess. It fuzzes the world outside you and creates paradise, for a while.

Eventually I started smoking everyday for about a year and a half and I really do not like the way it's making me. Apathetic, lethargic, forgetful, and generally unlike the way I'd like to be or idealized myself to be. I even got my first C in college! Anyways, I've stopped smoking pot for a while now, and a realize how much pot has kept the depression in check.

I wonder, though, if antidepressants would help me. How does it make you feel? How exactly does it change you? Does it make you feel numb? Does it actively make you happy, or does it simply remove a person's depressive tendencies and thought patterns. It's ironic that I'm asking this because yes, pot definitely changes a person more than any antidepressant probably would, but when I smoke, I smoke at night and when I am sober, I feel just like myself (or think so at least). When taking antidepressants are you constantly under its influence and is it a life long commitment? Please share with me your personal experiences in terms of how it affected you mentally.

Thanks a lot. :)

2. gkremian

gkremian New Member

Antidepressants affect different people in different ways. When I took them, they didn't necessarily make me feel any different (happier) but they gave me way more energy. What you need is counseling. It sounds like you have dysthymia, which can be much worse than depression.

And you may feel that drugs keep depression in check, but marijuana typically makes depression worse. You should think about getting off it permanently.

3. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

I took them from the end of my freshman year of college and for about a year and a half. Eventually it was almost like I became immune to them and I just quit and felt fine. Since I've been off I've been even happier, not that the pills made me sad but once I got off them I found new friends, changed my situation completely

4. Electric_Church

Electric_Church New Member

This sounds very similar to me man...

Ive just started taking effexor 150mg a day... they seem to be doing good things for me and keeping my mind out of the dirt.. im still smoking pot daily but things will chance in 07!!

best of luck

5. Electric_Church

Electric_Church New Member

well it wont harm you getting anti depressants... it will help you!

6. rfh625

rfh625 New Member

wierd man you sounds exactly like me, only im still a senior in HS and ive already been smoking weed for about 2 years about everyday. i thought it was so harmless that i slowly turned into the biggest pot head in my school. im depressed and wondered about anti depressants. me and my cousin got real drunk at a christmas party and were smoking my bong out front, then my aunt found it and my mom is gonna pee test me on Jan. 25. so today is day 1 without smoking at all and i cant sleep. im gonna start working out again and becoming a normal human for a while. hopefully everything will shape up

7. Durka Durka

Durka Durka Guest

i kind of do the same thing with alcohol and cigarettes, they make me feel happy for a time but then i just go back to being depressed when i'm not doing exactly what i want to do and i'm not used to it anymore so it makes it like 20 times worse

8. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

i'm going to be blunt.. we've chatted about this since at least 2005.... you need to do something about it or just deal with it.

this isn't new to you or even me... just try something and see if it's going to work or not.

Talk to a doc or a therapist... my old therapist who I saw back at our college is still there....

9. gkremian

gkremian New Member

Oh, yeah, some people say that antidepressants will only make you better. This may not be true. If you start on antidepressants, keep in contact with your psychiatrist or doctor about it. I took lexapro for a short duration and I spiraled downward to the point where I attempted suicide. I changed meds and felt fine afterward.

Therapy + Drugs > *

10. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

I was on paxil for 2-3 years now... I would rather not be on it... I have been as high as 40 mg, I am on 10mg now. I feel like I could use more since I dumped my girlfriend for cheating on me.

Give up the god damn pot. I smoked it just as much if not more then you did, it makes depression so hard. You wont have any money, you get depressed and smoke pot to try to alleviate it, when the pot wears off you feel worse. And that shit is expensive man. I feel so much better sitting on a pile of money in my bank account, because that is security to me. Getting high and being broke makes me feel like shit.

You will not realise it until you do it. Quit the damn drugs.

I stopped doing drugs and started meditating and trying to astrally project. They are not drugs, but have better effects then any drug can ever have. To learn I would use www.gnosticteachings.org

And if you have it in you (so many people dont), turn to God. You are depressed for a reason. Pray to God to help you, because you are gonna need it.

You are gonna need to start changing how you are living moment to moment in your life, how you are thinking, how you feel, how you act, what you do... If you feel lazy to get up and go to the gym, that is sloth, get up and go the the gym. Anaylzing and judging your defects will become your best friend. If you are afraid to ask out a girl that is a defect, so go do it.

A lot of times in order to get ahead you are going to have to make sacrafices, deal with it, you have to work to make money, you have to do a lot for love, you have to turn down the weed in order not to be a lazy loser. I mean I have been that lazy loser. I am sick of it.

I mean both me and you I assume have been heavy pot smokers. We only use it to cope. It is not like you see pretty new colours every time you smoke it. OMG MAN check out this new crazy g13 x white rhino cross, zomg!

Yeah, it gets you really baked man... really baked. Meanwhile you are sitting infront of final fantasy XII baked out of your mind instead of at the gym. But oh, how you may complain if you have a fat stomach (internally in the mind). Oh I am such and such a loser.

Antidepressants DO NOT HAVE TO BE A LIFETIME COMMITMENT.

ANTIDEPRESSANT are VERY OFTEN the result of being a POTHEAD.

I WAS A POTHEAD. I know it makes me feel like such shit man. I can only recommend it medically for cancer patients or if you have horrible insomnia one night only.

It is that seeking behavior that makes you feel worthless. That is why you feel depressed. You feel you do not have shit to back you up.

If a man cannot keep his house (mind and body) in order how can he expect to do anything outside of his house? You cannot expect to achieve.

Oh, alcohol is garbage too. In fact the goverment wanted to get rid of the entire works, but the average public is so intoxicated by wanting to be sedated that prohibition never made it. That is a shame.

Face life sober. How do you expect to beat depression into a pulp and BE HAPPY WITH YOUR LIFE? If you are drugged or drunk, you are just grabbing onto more stuff to drag you down. Free yourself of it, you are sinking in the ocean and cannot breath. Grab some buoyant objects (go to the gym, get fit which will increase your energy levels and looks, go get a nice haircut and a shave, get some new clothes, look nice have a nice girlfriend, fall in love) that FEELS REALLY GOOD. You WILL NOT NEED those damn drugs after all of that.

Honestly if you have a job look at how hard you have worked, how much you have made, and what you have to show for it. Piss all. 9 thousand dollars here, mostly down the drain. Thousands on pot, perhaps a thousand on a girlfriend who cheated on me when she had to go long distance for a while, but am I gonna let that shit take me down? NO. She tried to commit suicide when I dumped her. I am going to visit her in the mental hospital today. I am gonna come home feeling depressed.

But I am gonna face it without drugs. I am gonna go buy a new fan for my video card, which burnt out. I am gonna start going to the gym and working out.

I will eventually get her off my mind, and I did not need to get all drugged to do it either. Plus I will be stronger.

Anyways, THC just mimics anandamide, the real deal chemical produced by your body during workout (except you get endorphins and more working out too), so while you are there hurting your temple (body) with drugs to get high, I am getting high the same way naturally while making a tone, fit body.

An alchohics first step is admitting he is a drunkard, so he may heal. A drug user is also intoxicated, so you must admit you are a drunkard, an escapist, looking for an easy way out. THE ADVICE YOU WANT TO HEAR LEAST HELPS YOU THE MOST. It is you (the I, the ego) that disregards and hates the truth. It is that little voice inside of you, the concious mind, which directs you onto the right path.

Yes this post sounds like negative critism. But I have been there and god damn, I wish someone told me this shit before I went what you might be about to go through.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007