Antibiotics and BC

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Falconer, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

How long do antibiotics mess with BC? I know if a chick is on antibiotics while she's on BC she can get pregnant, but say you're doing a 10 day cycle of antibiotics, should you only use backup during that 10 day cycle, or is there a certain amount of time you have to wait after, or what? Anyone know?

Thanks.

2. Elphaba

Elphaba New Member

I'd think that it'd only be for that 10 days she's on the antibiotics, or maybe a day afterward. Once the antibiotics are out of her system she'll be fine. Since she's probably she's taking one pill a day, I'll be out of her system by the time she'd take the 11th pill, if there was one...
    Does that make sense?

3. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

It makes sense. I just wonder if it is dependent upon the half-life of the antibiotic or whatever. Like you know how some drugs stay in you for days or weeks...

4. demosnat

demosnat New Member

Call your pharm to find out which one, but only one CLASS of antibio (not brand, class) actually fucks with b/c. I think its cipro but im not 100%

5. hi2u2

hi2u2 New Member

^no its amoxicillin
    and two wks to be totally safe, but if youre in a super hurry, at least 2 days after shes stopped taking the Antibiotics

6. Elphaba

Elphaba New Member

True. Thats why I was talking about the "11th pill". I'd assume that if you have to take it every day to keep it working/in your system, then it'd be out somewhere around 24hrs after she took the last one. I'm no pharmacist/doctor though, I'd call them, they'd be able to tell you the specifics.

7. fray

fray New Member

you don't think it would totally get you off cycle if it did happen to interact? as in, when you started again, it would be like starting day 1 after taking nothing and you'd need a week or so to adjust?