Anti virus software

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by JustaMeThang, Jun 16, 2004.

1. JustaMeThang

JustaMeThang New Member

What would you guys reccommend for the best protection? Price isnt really a concern, I just want to make sure I have the best thats out there. I have gotten mixed reviews, and figured Id consult the experts. Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me.

2. phoenix0583

phoenix0583 New Member

I've always had good luck with Norton Antivirus, been using that for like 4 years now... a lot of people use that or McAfee. Personally I think its better to stick with a major company like McAfee or Symantec because they've got the infrastructure and manpower to respond to new threats with updates quickly.

I also use Ad-Aware to get rid of spyware... spyware has become a major issue now too.

3. JustaMeThang

JustaMeThang New Member

What happens when you DL programs which come with certain adware attached to it? When I deleted it through ad-aware, the original program wont work with it. Are there any option besides Kazaa or similar which do not come bundled with adware. I currently have around 25 unwanted programs due to this program bundle.

4. phoenix0583

phoenix0583 New Member

To replace Kazaa look around for a special version of it called Kazaa Lite K++... I'm sorry I can't find a good page on it right away, they've pretty much all been eliminated. Its a hacked version of Kazaa Lite that doesnt have any of the spyware/adware in it + a few other kazaa goodies. Too bad the makers of kazaa are trying phase it out ...

But yeah, if you can Kazaa lite k++ use that, its worked for me for a long time. Other than that... when you're installing programs they have to tell you about additional programs being installed, otherwise its spyware. Just be careful of what you download and install.

5. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

symantec a/v > *

they have excellent analysis of threats, updated definitions more than once per week, and easy updates. mcaffee updates can sometimes be a pain in the ass

6. JustaMeThang

JustaMeThang New Member

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. Im very technologically challenged.

7. Stev

Stev Active Member

x2