anti-virus refuses to update

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by stoliohranj, Aug 17, 2005.

1. stoliohranj

stoliohranj beautiful fucking tits man

my dad was running norton on his computer and has been complaining that norton gives him update errors ever since i installed firefox. i figured it was just norton being gay, so i installed AVG free edition, and it too, refused to update. kept giving connection errors. windows firewall is turned off,and as far as i know there are no other firewalls running. he does have a valid internet connection as i am able to browse sites. he said this happened as soon as i installed firefox, but i can't see how that is possible. any ideas?

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

it could be a virus that's preventing access to security related websites. Do a search for a file called hosts. There is no extension, make sure to search in hidden and system folders. Open it with notepad and see if there are any sites listed. There are a lot of viruses that will add entries in it to redirect many of the security websites from coming up, it redirects them to 127.0.0.1(local host). If there are any listed other than the local host one, you can remove them and save the file.

3. stoliohranj

stoliohranj beautiful fucking tits man

good idea, i was toying with the idea of a virus blocking access to security sites. so i started shutting down processes, but that didn't help.

4. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Do what DAN513 said and check your hosts file.