anti-theft box mod idea

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Leb_CRX, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

ok this is a bit crazy, but most say I am very crazy so it works out

I just recently acquired a 12 inch typeR in a sealed box, and theft in my area is really high, I am playing it smart and not bumping it near my house or anything, but I want to build some kind of counter mesure in case some fucker decides to steal my hard earned shit

I am fairly sure there aint anything I can bolt it down to, and I refuse to bolt into the metal/wheelwell to put some L brackets cause I am told they will just rip them right off. I got a rear sway bar on my civic and I am thinknig of cutting 2 holes and sliding the bar through....that way if it's a smash and dash they can't take the sub...as it will be attached to the sway which is hard metal

here's a picture of my idea
    [​IMG]

now I understnad this will probally hurt the audio in a way or another...can anyone tell me what this will do from an audio stand point? any feedback is appreciated, I don't know much about audio, but I can't imagine a bar passing through a sub enclosure is a smart idea, but if it means thiefs don't get my shit it might be worth it...what can I expect from an audio stand point? is this a bad idae? good idea? any feedback appreciated it

cliffs: cutting hole in sub enclosure to pass strut bar to prevent thiefs from smash and grab's

2. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

BTW anyone got any ideas on how/where to place the amp/mount it so it's not too easy to take

Thanks again

3. ls1pimp

ls1pimp OT Supporter

Bad idea. The box is sealed for a reason.

4. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

You definitely do not want to do that if you plan only only drilling holes, sliding it through, and calling it a day. What you could try to do is seal the holes with silicone or some sort of other caulking. But, then it will be a PITA even for you to remove it if you need to. Maybe you could build an extension off your box and then drill holes in the "fake" box attached to the enclosure.

5. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

Well if I were a thief and I broke into a car to come across that contraption I'd stick my fist thru the sub just in spite :sad2:

6. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

either way, if a thief breaks in, you are at a loss, so why not prevent them from profit?

7. C-Lord

C-Lord New Member

your best bet is to keep your trucked locked and if you can lock your seats in the back do that to but if you drive crx(just looking at your username) i think you are out of luck with thos ideas. But keep it the volume down in like 2 miles radius and keep it covered. If thief wants something they will get it.

8. bmxenbrett

bmxenbrett Guest

why not use L brackets, you just need strong ones and put the lower point under the box. but im sure there are other ways. what about putting a metal plate inside ur box and running an throught the back and just use a cable or somthing

9. DarqueGT

DarqueGT New Member

when I had L brackets - they always pulled loose from the box....and in some cases - ripping a nice sized hole in the box.

i used 2 eye bolts through the back of my box, with large washers so that if it somehow pulls through, it's just a ruined box. but it's held in place by some really sturdy metal wires.....it's the same kind of wire that you'd use to hang large pictures....only this wire is much thicker. it doesn't slide side to side or back and forth.

i used it in my last car....no problems. now I have 1 12"...before I had 2 12"s....both have held up.

10. MacAlert

MacAlert Maxima driver OT Supporter

The problem with having the strut bar going through the box is:
    1. Possibility for loss in space volume
    2. Strut bar hitting back of sub
    3. Possibility for leaks causing crappy sound from the sub
    4. The thieves can always remove the sub from the box
    Theres no point in trying to secure it, just make sure your insurance covers your system and call it a day.

11. iplay72

iplay72 OT Supporter

well if u really want to do it like the picture how about if u: drill holes on the side of your box to fit a 2 inch pipe. cut the pipe the same length as the width of your box. then slide the pipe through the holes and seal it up good. then u can slide your sway bar through the pipe giving u the security you want without sacrificing box performance. of course you would lose some volume in the box, it would be a pain in the ass to move the box, and thieves will still get it if they really want it. but it's better than just drilling holes and sticking the sway bar through.

12. mtkversion

mtkversion Good Times Aplenty

Just smear some dog poo all over the box then set up a mist system in the trunk to keep it nice, wet, and stinky.

Thieves will be deterred by the foulness.

For an added touch, use your own feces and really make it a DIY project.

13. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

I just got stereo theft protection on my car, hmmm.... problem solved.