Anti-spyware write up, hows it look?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MacandCheese, Jun 21, 2005.

1. MacandCheese

MacandCheese Mmm Mmmm Goood ;)

Hi everyone,

I am giving a 1 hour seminar in my office in a few days to educate everyone on what spyware is, how it works and how to stop it/remove it. This is a handout i created (i also have a cd of all the software... which is all freeware) to give to everyone so they can bring it home and use. I also have a powerpoint presentation explaining everything and will have a computer filled with spyware displayed to show them how to use each software. Take a look at the handout and let me know what ya think:

(Please forgive the plain text paste, i didn't want to reformat everything out of ms word)

===========================================

Steps to a Spyware free computing environment

Step 1 Blocking Spyware

* Download and Install the Google Toolbar (Download)
    * Download and Install the a Firewall (Sygate Personal Firewall Download)
    * Download and install FireFox web browser (Download)
    * Download an edited HOSTS file and install (instructions below) (Download)
    -------* Perform a file search for "HOSTS" on your computer (Start > Search)
    -------* When it finds a file that's named "HOSTS" with no extension, you may stop the search.
    -------* Open the file with WordPad (it will ask you to select a program) and copy all of the entries from the downloaded HOSTS file into your HOSTS file. Save and close.
    * Disable the Messenger Service (instructions below)
    -------* Windows XP (Home and Professional editions):
    -------1. Click Start -> Control Panel
    -------2. Click Performance and Maintenance.
    -------3. Click Administrative Tools.
    -------4. Double click Services.
    -------5. Scroll down and highlight "Messenger" (a single click).
    -------6. Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.
    -------7. Click the STOP button.
    -------8. Select Disable or Manual under the "Startup Type" menu selection.
    -------9. Click OK.
    -------10. No need to reboot - You are now blocking webpopups advertisements!
    -------* Windows 2000 (Server and Professional editions):
    -------1. Click Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Admin. Tools -> Services.
    -------2. Scroll down and highlight "Messenger" (a single click).
    -------3. Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.
    -------4. Click the STOP button.
    -------5. Select Disable or Manual under the "Startup Type" menu selection.
    -------6. Click OK.
    -------7. No need to reboot - You are now blocking webpopup advertisements!

Step 2 Removing Spyware

* Download and Install Adaware (Download)
    * Download and Install SpyBot (Download)
    * Download and Install Spyware Doctor (Download)
    * Disable spyware from executing when you turn on your computer (instructions below)
    -------* All Windows (Windows 2000 users, Download msconfig first):
    -------1. Start > Run
    -------2. Type ‘msconfig’ and press enter
    -------3. Select the ‘start; tab at the top
    -------4. Uncheck every program (except antivirus and anything you recognize)
    -------5. Press OK and reboot.
    * Install and Update antivirus (AVG Free antivirus Download)
    * Advanced users :: Download and run HiJackThis (Download)

Step 3 Patch Security holes in your software
    * Browse to Windows Updates and download/install all updates (Link)
    * Browse to Office Updates and download/install all updates (Link)

Once you have completed all of these steps, you may jump for joy as your machine is 99% clean! But please remember that this is a never ending battle (just like virus’). You must constantly run anti-spyware removal programs and keep your antivirus software up to date.

===========================================

2. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

Hmmmm, i'd like to add a few things if you don't mind.

As much as i love Google, any toolbar from any company constitues spyware/adware to me, i loathe toolbars, it is not needed.

I work on IE with SP2 installed, run MS Antispyware (real time) and ad-aware scanned once a week and do not have any spyware or pop-up issues ... ever!

Firefox is dealing with a pop-up problem right now, or pop-under as they like to call it, same difference.

I like your ideas though, i guess it really comes down to a matter of opinion, and kudos on the msconfig, one of the best tips anyone can give. Disabling unwanted startup programs makes a HUGE difference.

edit: you'd might want to recommend them to stay away from P2P programs cause most spyware comes from there. Or recommend them some P2P with no spyware.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2005
  3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Just a few comments here...

Nothing at all is wrong with IE. If what you said above was followed, there would be no need for FF because you'd be fine in IE. Like it or not, IE is the standard browser and as an IT guy, I would defiintely not change the web browser for my company when it's already built in to Windows.

I am very against the Google toolbar or any toolbar like said above. I've seen it mess up machines and personally don't like those kind of add-ons to my browser. Does it work with FF BTW??

All in all, if anyone is running Windows XP SP2, it has a very good firewall and pop-up blocker IMO, so that would save them from having to install the firewall and google toolbar.

I'm not sure of the spyware apps though. I personally only use Microsoft Anti-Spyware. I see no real need to install 3 or 4 different ones unless you have a problem with the machine.

Just IMO...

4. MacandCheese

MacandCheese Mmm Mmmm Goood ;)

Thanks for the opinions guys! Most of the items above are more for home use rather than office use. MSIE is the standard here too for most intranet purposes. And yes, i like msie also. But since most of these companies go after msie, using firefox does help your odds to avoid attracting spyware onto your machine

IMO, The firewall in sp2 is by far not the greatest. I've read a bit on it and it seems there is code out there (that spyware garbage has grabbed and used) that basically lets you open ports very easily via the registry. If i'm wrong, definitely correct me here...

I suggest all of those spyware removers because often more times than not, when you have a machine with lots of junk on it, they will each remove most of it, but not all. Having two or three just helps your odds of getting everything out. I would have suggested ms's spyware remover, but it's still in beta...

You're right about the google toolbar... maybe i could take that off the list being firefox and msie with sp2 have popup blockers.

Keep the comments coming. This is definitely helping. Thanks so much :)

5. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

I think MS Anti-spyware is one of the bestest one's out there now. And it might be the best (until MS starts "fixing" Giant's code :o)