GUN Anti-Glock Crew check in

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Reverend, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Reverend

Reverend OT Supporter

In almost every pistol advice thread I see some Glock sackrider that posts "Buy a Glock. /Thread"

I can't stand Glocks. I've never shot one I've liked. I've always felt that the recoil was less comfortable or less controllable than I'd prefer. I don't think they're that stealthy or concealable(at least not on my small frame), seeing as they're thick and block-ish. I've also never understood their model naming conventions, but that's not a reason I wouldn't buy one. From a design perspective, I've never really thought that they were anything special to look at either.

There must be a reason that people love these guns. They're probably one of the best selling pistol brands out there.

Ironically, I LOVE my SA XD's, whose design isn't that far off from the Glock basic design standards. I think that they're the slickest shit since the 1911.

Just some random thoughts...flame away. :wavey:

2. smartypants

smartypants New Member

reliability.

3. Reverend

Reverend OT Supporter

Define reliability. They jam just as often as any other gun I've seen. Mostly failure to feed. Granted, that could be the ammo, but I've seen plenty of Glocks jam up during rapid fire sessions.

4. Hooch

Hooch New Member

Sounds to me like the good Reverend has some built up slide rust animosity.

5. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

6. sqwirl

sqwirl New Member

It's like the mustang of the gun world.

Cheap, great aftermarket support, easy to work on.

Some of people like the sheer simplicity and can handle the grip angle.

It's interesting that you don't like the recoil feel on glocks. I'm the opposite, I think the XD has the less comfortable recoil just like my usp.

I'm sure the popularity in popular culture of the glock name has helped as well. Just like all the CS fags sack riding the desert eagle.

7. McCroskey

McCroskey Jonny, what can you make out of this? OT Supporter

I can't deride the success/quality of the Glock but I don't like the grip angle/feel.

8. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

I've seen ONE glock fte. that was my wife's G19 in it's first 50 rounds or less. two fte.
    whereas, i was at an ipsc match two weekends ago and a guy was running an xd and, i swear to god, it failed at least 2 times per stage.

9. Reverend

Reverend OT Supporter

We could go at this for days. lol

I'm not interested in an e-argument.... Just wanted some insight.

I go to the range once a week, and I'm always looking at what everyone else is doing/shooting. I always get really nosy when I see someone fiddling with a jam, and I was just saying that I see Glocks jam just as often as any other brand. I'm not logging failures, though. I'm just going by memory. It might seem like more Glock failures because there are simply more of them out there.

10. sprite

sprite Active Member

Reliability
    Simplicity of design
    Simplicity of function
    Simplicity of maintenance
    Ready availability of OEM and aftermarket parts

I don't know what a "rapid fire session" is or how many "rapid fire sessions" you've attended, but in shooting USPSA for three years and working as an RO at level I & III matches I've had a pretty good vantage point to see lots of production guns shot by lots of shooters with experience ranging from "how does this thing work?" to national champions and can say that collectively Glocks go bang more consistently than any other brand of firearm that I see frequently enough to be able form an opinion on. Sure, a Glock can have troubles, and a XD/M&P/whatever can run flawlessly at any given match, but cumulatively Glocks outpace the others in my experience. Especially as the day goes on, guns start getting gunked up, magazines have been dropped in the mud/dirt all day, etc.

And that is not to say that it is all attributed to the simple mechanical reliability. Even if it is purely the shooters fault it is still a failure to go bang. People brain farting and forgetting to deactive safeties, accidentally activating safeties, get a bum grip and riding up on the slide catch, etc... all user induced failures to go bang that occur significantly less frequently in Glocks due to the safe-action design and lo-pro "controls".

11. Calhoun Burns

Calhoun Burns ...and the gunslinger followed.

+1

I don't necessarily hate Glocks, but I'm not particularly enamored with them either. If I could get past the issues I have with the grip and trigger I'd probably add one to the stable - a couple that I have handled and liked had had work done on both areas.

12. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

I personally shoot well with glocks, and like the way they feel. Their reputation for top notch reliability (including my own experience) and simple design, makes them my top choice for a semi-auto pistol. When someone asks for my OPINION on what hand gun to get, I recommend to them to get a glock.

13. antiabercrombie

antiabercrombie fuk u lemonardo OT Supporter

I have a hard time remembering which model # goes with which caliber/size, but that's my only real compliant.

I've put hundreds of rounds down the range with my G19, and I plan on getting a G26 for CC.

Decent price point, easy to use and understand the mechanics, problem-free (so far), and I can do all of the modifications that I want by myself.

I'm sure the same can be said about other brands, but it has been a perfect entry-level pistol for me.

14. Reverend

Reverend OT Supporter

Good enough for me.

I still won't buy one, but at least I have some insight as to why they're so popular.

15. mcoski

mcoski New Member

have an xd9, getting a g19 as well :o

16. nakedbrian3433

nakedbrian3433 I don't have time to bleed. OT Supporter

I'm in the same boat Rev.

I have no real gripes against them, they just don't feel right to me. But I love the XD. It just feels better. Probably the grip angle.

Not to hot on the look of the block, but the XD doesn't bother me. I don't really get it, but still. To each his own.

But I am always in for trying out a new model. Maybe by some chance it will feel different.

17. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i don't like glocks, because i feel like i need to break my wrist for it to feel right in my hand.

18. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

I partly see where a bunch of y'all are coming from.

I'm issued a Glock, and policy says that the 22C is the only pistol for duty carry, so that's that.
    I didn't like Glocks before, in the Academy, but since using one there and being issued one at work, I've learned to live with them reasonably well.
    I wish the trigger felt less springy/spongy, but mine at least has a decently crisp break and nice even travel. And I've only had some mag-related failures in it: pre-weaponlight upgraded mags in a pistol with a light, causing some premature slidelock. those mags have been replaced.

So I'm in the "I don't DISlike Glocks, but I'm not really a fan, either" crew.

Mostly my gripes are the grip and the trigger. my 1911 still feels a little more natural in my hand, though I have a lot more range time with the Glock by now.

19. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

I don't feel one way or another toward glocks, but I do enjoy shooting them. Even though I can't point worth shit with one (not used to its grip angle).

20. wickedgun

wickedgun New Member

no you dont, you dont see anything. you've never seen a glock jam up, you're only making shit up to support your "I LOVE SA XD" attitude.

21. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

I ride Glock's dick because the shit works. It's like saying Snap-on tools are garbage because they're expensive. No, Glocks do not FTF as often as other guns....most police agencies use them because they get the job done and they get it done well, just as any quality tool should. They're not pretty, they're not the most comfortable, but most people shoot very well with them and they're reliable as shit. Fuck I don't even know why I'm typing this bullshit again, go enjoy your XD.

22. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

:wackit:

23. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

believe the hype. that's all i have to say

24. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

It's not that hard to understand why they are so popular.

-Simple to use, no grip safety bullshit, just point and pull the trigger

-Easy to maintain, no rusting or finish issues. Doesn't require cleaning after every 100 rounds or a ton of lube to run.

-Reliable, has very few parts, less to break.

-Affordable, both the price of the gun itself and the mags. Don't you love some of those guns where they fuck you for $50 each on the mags, nice huh?

-Lots of accessories available if that is your thing.

25. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

I think it's a good function reliable design, it just doesn't fit my hand personally. I think generally the XD, Glock, and M&P are pretty much the same thing, it just comes down to personal feel and aesthetics.