SRS Anti Depression Meds and Breastfeeding

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by S4Driver, Nov 15, 2005.

1. S4Driver

S4Driver New Member

My g/f is breastfeeding our 8 month old baby, and is currently taking Zoloft. My g/f feels that it is not working for her anymore. So, we called the Dr. and were told in so many words that we were out of luck if we continue to breastfeed our daughter. I find it hard to believe that there are no options for my g/f, short of her stopping breastfeeding. Anyone have any ideas or experience on this?

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

The American Academy of Pediatrics has classified Zoloft as a drug "for which the effect on nursing infants is unknown but may be of concern"

When in doubt DONT do it, for the safety of your child i would not recommend the usage of zoloft while giving it breastfeeding.

One option is to lower the dosage in consultation with your health care advisor. on the other hand you are what you eat, whatever your gf gets into her system might be transferred thru her breast milk to the child.

3. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

you need to talk to another doctor. He can't just say something like that.... he needs to either tell her to take something else or stop taking it all together.

4. teo

teo . => ? => !

consider getting a second opinion from an unaffiliated doctor.

5. pashy

pashy New Member

if she needs anti-depressants, i would suggest she starts weaning your baby immediately.

if you think about what anti-deps do to ppl - side effect wise, why wouldnt it affect your baby?

why does it surprise you there arent really options available? you wouldnt suggest she take other drugs whilst breastfeeding would you? or suggest she smokes? or drink alcohol?