SRS antabuse

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jse3101, Oct 23, 2007.

1. jse3101

jse3101 New Member

I'm 23 and an alcoholic. I've tried different ways to quit many times and all ended up failing. I'm a strong person and know I will be able to quit soon, but I heard about a pill you can take that will make you sick if u drink alcohol after (antabuse). I was thinking about taking that for the harshness of the immediate cravings I will have for the first few weeks. I KNOW I won't drink if I have that in my system. Does anyone have any experience with this pill?

2. pretty_n_ink

pretty_n_ink New Member

I haven't taken it myself but my ex takes it for alcoholism. I can tell you that it does take some of the cravings away and if you drink any alcohol you'll puke your guts out and have the shits. You have to really want to stop though because you can skip a pill and get drunk if you feel like it. Try going to http://www.rxlist.com and doing a search.

3. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Me personally? no but I've talked to many alcoholics that took this and still drank. Yes they got sick and yes they kept on drinking because they needed it. Some resorted to other methods to the the alcohol in their systems and other just quit taking it after they couldn't stay away from the booze.

You may be a very strong person in every other area of your life yet where alcohol is concerned you may have surprisingly little control. That doesn't make you weak or a bad person...it just might mean that you're an alcoholic and you need help staying away from alcohol. AA can help.

4. 88 Notch

88 Notch New Member

I have taken antibuse. For a while it worked because I knew if I drink it would make me sick. After a little while I would conveniently stop taking it and drink a few days later. When I drank the day after taking it, I got very sick. The stuff does what it's supposed to do, but didn't stop me from drinking, because I wasn't ready to stop.

5. jse3101

jse3101 New Member

thank you for the insight...especially coottie...i think aa would probably be the best solution...i just needed to hear it...thanks