MIL Answer this if you've got the time

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by NisAznMonk, Apr 6, 2008.

1. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

1) How do you know when it is time for you to get out?
    2) Do you ever compare yourself to your HS peers and wonder why you picked the military?

A family member asked me these questions and I couldn't answer them right away. I'll start, but I'd like to hear your answers too.

1) I don't know when it'll be time for me to get out. Sometimes I wonder if I'll just enjoy what I do, and the journey that comes with it. So far if the rest of my career is anything like my first 22 months then I'm going to be in for a long while. I'm sure time will fly as well.

2) I try not to, but it can be hard. Plenty of my former peers have gone on to do very well in school and have great careers. Others have done nothing with their lives, and just live day to day. Then there are plenty that are in the middle living the average American life. I'm stuck working in the USAF on stuff I can't talk about. If I can get on track for a Bachelor's Degree in "something" then I don't think I'd ever regret my decision. We all aren't built to cram in a college education and to get a "job".

2. J

J Active Member

I often find myself wondering about my decisions, and upon reflection my life seems drastically different than most of my HS peers. I've tried out so many different things and pretty much bounced from here and there until I finally found what I'm certain I want to do.

But in the end, it doesn't matter what everyone else is doing. As long as you've got your shit together and you're doing something you can enjoy, you're on the right track (but you're definitely not at the finish). It's great that you're looking to get your bachelor's -- because no matter how content you are in your position in life, you should never stay stagnant.

3. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

For me it is time to get out when the salary I will be earning outweighs the pension I'll be receiving upon retirement.

I compare myself with my high school peers and feel no less of a man than any of them. Of the college graduates none can say they've been the places I've been, seen the things I've seen, done the things I've done. Few can say they've loved and lost their fellow man, championed a true cause and won, or had the strength to stand up and fight for their country. I love what I do, not many of them do.

4. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

1. when my contract is up
    2. I could care less what they are doing

5. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

I compare myself to my high school peers and I am glad I picked the military.

6. kawasakizx6rrrr

kawasakizx6rrrr New Member

i am only doing 4 years. and i get out in less than a month. i knew it was time, because of all the bullshit that goes along with the marines. i love being a marine and a machine gunner, but i don't like the marines. if that makes any sense. i don't regret my decision to join in the first place either. too many hire ups, giving eachother awards ( a bronze star for doing route clearance and never getting ieded or shot at, but you're a captain and co. commander, so that makes it ok), and (i understand there is a large amount of risk involved in the infantry when you're in country) but risks that put our asses on the line and not theirs, that could have easily been avoided. when they lie to you and tell you if you don't extend past your eas to go to afghanistan, then they will send you to the next deploying unit to iraq( this mind you was told to us when we were still on deployment in ramadi, and was total bullshit) when life on a small base in iraq is worse than garrison life on camp lejeune, when you get back from patrols and are supposed to have downtime, but you are landscaping and sweeping the streets of dirt, when you have to fieldday your hooch in iraq and have it virtually spotless (our idiot first sgt, actually came in and checked under the racks for dirt with a huge jarrassic park flashlight) when hire ups pretend to care about your welfare, but don;t even take the time to learn your name, when pogs think they have to prove something and think your a piece of shit because you're infantry and have a chip on your shoulder. when pogs tell war stories, when pogs don't know their place, when female marines/ pogs have stickers on their vehicles, stating stuff like "its gods job to judge the terrorists, it's our job to arrange the meeting" yet like i stated they are females or pogs that will only ever fire a rifle at the rifle range. basically, when you make a list of "reasons not to reenlist" and said list exceeds 50 solid reasons, then it is time to get the fuck out. me and my roomate have over 150 solid reasons. i just wish i didn't have to leave this gun club, with a bitter taste in my mouth. end of rant

7. jimmybuffett

jimmybuffett New Member

kawi you have less than 100 post and you're one of my fav OTers

good day sir

8. kawasakizx6rrrr

exactly, i dropped my pack the moment we got back from ramadi. but it all still pisses me off. but i have less than a month and they i am done, so i can def. see the light at the end of the tunnel.

9. kawasakizx6rrrr

eh, i just have alot of feelings and opinions, thats all. you are good people to jimmy

10. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

1) I'm still fairly new to the army, but right now I have two hard limits for my service, all depending on what happens with the completion of my training. If I pass selection these next two weeks and earn my green beret, I'm going for 20 years at the very least. if not, then most likely I'll do my 5 year contract and return to being a chef in the civilian world.

2) I've never been one to compare myself to others in any serious matter, but for the most part I'm probably behind the curve of my peers: 5 years college, no degree to show for it, worked in the food industry for 7 years, and without a degree in the culinary arts, I couldn't break much more than $18/hour. In no way do I regret my decision to join the military, and in some ways I believe it puts me in a category that's incomparable to my HS peers in the civilian world.

11. The Weasel

The Weasel Lakers, Packers, Flyers, Backpacking, Halo Crew OT Supporter

1) I knew I was only going to do the 4 years and get out. I came in and really enjoyed the first year of my enlistment. Then, I saw different leadership, bullshit details, dumb people that should never had made E5, etc. So, I made the decision to not re-enlist, get college, and get as much military schooling as I could.

2) I see my friends getting their degrees and actually getting by pretty well. Some don't do anything and piggyback of their parents. For the most part, they are doing well and are much happier than I am at certain times. So, going back and living a normal life with them will be the best option for me. I joined thinking I didn't have the grades for college or the patience. But in retrospect , I now realize that I was just young and wanted to party and was just passing classes.

12. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

I keep a count of the number of things that are making me get out of the Navy come next may, if I remember correctly that number is above 1.374 million at the moment.

I don't think I have any regrets, because as far as I know I'd still be sitting on the computer at home playing Everquest or some shit, but it's the little things, and the little things only, that push me to not really like this "job".

13. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

2 Week SFAS :noes: Yah i think I'll do my 5 and probably get out unless I can get a decent bonus for a few extra yrs. Maybe do some guard time as well.

14. Swoop411

Swoop411 New Member

I enlisted the first time in 1997. I spent six long years in the Harrier community and hated every fucking minute of it except for the deployments. At least then we were chopped down to a tight knit group with only 6 aircraft to worry about.

I got out in 2003 and loafed around for six months trying to find work while drawing my unemployment. Finally I was hired on at a commercial refrigeration company and learned the in's and out's of HVAC/R. After three years of killing myself just to earn a living I had enough.

Now I am back in the Corps as a Combat Photographer and have found my calling. It was definitely one of the better decisions I have made in my life. I will stay in until it doesnt feel right anymore, or I retire, but at this point I have a lot of time invested and it wouldnt make sense to bail. But like I said, if it doesnt feel right then I am out. No reason to stay if you cant deal with what is going on around you.

No matter what anyone says, in the end it is your decision. Some people will talk it up like its the greatest thing ever and you are a bag of ass for wanting to get out. Other people will call you a dumb ass for wanting to reup. You have to make up your own mind.

The only thing I can offer is that if you like being in the military but are unhappy then try another MOS. They would rather send you to school and retrain you than lose you altogether. I went from being the most de-motivated person on the planet to actually enjoying what I do. All it took was some time away and some reflection on what I wanted out of life.