LGBT (another) wedding etiquette question

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by is300eater, Jun 27, 2005.

1. is300eater

is300eater New Member

Okay, so this Saturday I'll be attending... yet another wedding... last time I posted a question about weddings... I was asking if I should shave or go with the scruffy look because I was breaking out in the chin area... anyway, this time I'll be going with the clean cut look... BUT here's the question...

On the invitation, it specifies "Formal Attire" AND this wedding is at the St.Regis Hotel... I totally frawned when she told me that it's a"formal attire" event, because the first thing I thought of was... those cheesy tux that high schoolers wear to the prom... ya know? ...the ones with the lame ass colored vest? I hate those things.... So, last week I went to Men's Wearhouse and they actually have pretty decent tux for rent... I pre-paid a black 3 button single breasted tux, but I'm going without the vest... kinda like what Brad Pitt wore in his wedding with Aniston... I like it simple... the rental came out to be near $100... BUT this past weekend... I bought a Hugo Boss black 3 button single breasted suit... and it'll be ready tomorrow.... totally taylored to fit me... the only difference is that the tux's lapel is kinda shiney... and there's a lame stripe down the sides of the pants which makes it a tux and NOT a suit... The reason why I'm asking is... I, honestly.... would rather wear my Hugo Boss, and cancel the rental (which, I was told... I'd get my money back), BUT the bride's sister told me that I'll be sitting at her table... which is like... close immediate family and friends... so, what should I do?

I asked this guy at my gym (who's gay AND very fasionably knowledgible), he told me that it is totally fine to wear a black suit to a "formal event", as long as it's with a tie that's NOT meant for work... like floral print or patterned... something solid would be ideal... which I have... (black-Hugo Boss)... in fact... he said he owns a tux, and never wear it anymore...

what do you guys think?

(BTW, I think all Hugo Boss stores are having a big sale... just about everything's at least 30% off)

thanks in advance for your replies... sorry for writing so much...

2. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

...your fag speaketh the truth.

3. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

I think it would be best to ask somebody close to her and see what they think is appropriate as this is her wedding and you don't want to offend the bride by showing up in what she considers "casual."

4. NOVAJock

NOVAJock Modded & Underrated

:rofl::mamoru:

5. creos

creos New Member

Yeah, a dark suit and a tie like you suggested would be fine for formal attire.
    That Hugo Boss suit sounds really good and would probably look better than the rented tux. If you want to kick it up a notch go with a set of nice cuff links as well.