SRS Another thread about quitting weed

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by h0tw3ts1ut, Apr 17, 2006.

1. h0tw3ts1ut

h0tw3ts1ut New Member

I have gotten a reputation as a druggie that isn't undeserved. I've been smoking weed on and off for a long time, but recently, in my senior year of high school, it has picked up big time. I've also "branched out" tried a lot of other drugs that I had previously promised, to myself and others, that I would never touch. The months of February and March were a blur for me, in which I was spending hundreds of dollars a week on cocaine. I would come to school loaded, on 36 hours of no sleep, and I would habitually take lines in my front seat while working as a pizza delivery boy, just to keep going.

While I was on cocaine, my weed use decreased dramtically; I continued to buy it in bulk, but I sold most of it to finance my cocaine habit, and just kept a little around to help calm me down and/or bring back my appetite if I had gone too long without eating. Then came prom night the first night of April, where I was geered beyond belief, and my date, who I had fought with over cocaine use previously, and to whom I had promised I had quit, noticed. My mom thought I was acting strangely at pictures, and then later found a cut straw (busted).

After ruining my prom night by dissapointing my date severely and having a genrally shitty time (I couldn't dance for more than a song at a time because I kept overheating and tightening up; choked down food at dinner, and got wasted beyond belief afterwords), I quit. Weed got me through withdrawal; I just repeatedly smoked myself to sleep until the bad feelings went away, and spent all my time with a few understanding fellow druggies. Now, I still smoke a few times a day, but my mom recently confronted me over the cocaine, and now she's testing me until I move out. She wants to see the marijuana, which she knew about but passively condoned, go away.

But I need it. Otherwise, I get depressed (I was perscribed antidepressants and assorted other shit my whole life, until this year when I started to "self-medicate," because I hated being robotized by those fucking pills). I'm high right now in fact, perfectly functional. I was driven to quit coke by social and financial consequences. Also, I went to an NA meeting while trying to quit coke and was shocked by the pathetic, fragile losers I met there, which scared the fuck out of me, propelling me towards going clean. I did not want to be like those people. So they can't offer me much "support," but the reasons I quit coke don't apply there. So how do I do it?

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

My dad took me as a kid up the station, he showed me the drug addicted homeless people wallowing in their own filth and said, this is what will become of you when you take drugs. It also scared the fuck out of me, but it worked for i can't relate at all to you because i never did drugs,alcohol or sigarettes. I only know that if you continue your self destructive behaviour you will end up (as you say) like a pathetic ,fragile loser like them. Your spiritual attachment to drugs has created a state of hell for you, your not happy, because nothing in the universe exept loving and helping others can do that.

My advice(and im not kidding here) is to become a bhuddist.Simply,because you don't relate to all medical treatment here nor rehab, its something you have to 'want'. Your life has gone to shit anyway , so why not give it a try? If it doesn't work you can always go back to drug world,right?

3. selfpollution

selfpollution New Member

That's sound advice, it's what I did. Buddhism doesn't rely on superstition like christianity and recovery does. It can help tremendously. Read Buddhism: Plain and Simple by Steve Hagen. Hardcore Zen by Brad Warner and Dhama Punx by Noah Levine are also some good ones. Noah Levine was a drug addict and is in AA/NA and is a practicing buddhist.
    From a harm reduction point of view, smoking pot to abstain from cocaine is good, it is definitely progress. I just read an intersting article about how, in the inner city, kids are kicking crack with marijuana: http://www.alternet.org/story/11315/
    the author writes on drugs, recovery and public policy she is also a recovering heroin addict.

There are lots of paths to recovery, you are young and thinking about these things, which puts you ahead of quite a few people, just don't give up and cave in to coke etc. There is still time for life to work out really well for you.