LGBT Another SSM thread...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by CoCo, Jun 21, 2004.

1. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

It was just announced that the Senate is to vote on anti-gay constitutional amendment the week of July 16.

REPUBLICANS PROMISE VOTE
    The Family Research Council just reported via their Washington Update email service that Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist joined religious right leaders in a secret telephone conference call this morning in which Frist promised that the Senate will vote on the anti-gay amendment to the US Constitution the week of July 12.

It was predicted earlier that the passage of the hate crimes bill in the US Senate was likely a precursor to the Republicans trying to pass the anti-gay amendment. (
    My logic for this prediction was basically that the hate crimes bill would give Republicans, and bigoted Democrats, the chance to vote for the federal constitutional amendment while claiming that they're not in fact anti-gay -- after all, they voted for the hate crimes bill! (And just so you know, we already have a federal hate crimes law.) The Senate vote would simply add sexual orientation as an additional category to a law that's already on the books - the Senate bill will still have to be reconciled with the House, which has not passed the bill.) Anyway...

RELIGIOUS RIGHT TO BOMBARD SENATE WITH CALLS
    The Family Research Council made it very clear in today's email that religious right bigots will now be blasting Congress with phone calls, faxes, and in-person appeals to pass this amendment. As you know, there's been talk that the Senate doesn't have the votes to pass this amendment, and maybe that's true, but maybe it's not. It's hardly unreasonable to imagine a scenario in which the religious right inundates Congress with angry phone calls and letters over the next month, and then our allies in the Senate cave under the pressure (Lord knows it's happened before). After all, how many Senators have come out in favor of gay marriage? If our enemies can spin this vote as being either for or against gay marriage, you just wait and see how many of our "friends" get cold feet.

REPUBLICANS USING OUR SEXUALITY AS POLITICAL WEAPON
    Of equal concern: The Republicans are forcing the vote now so that it will embarrass the Democrats before their party convention at the end of July in NYC. Yes, they are using our sexual orientation as a political weapon, hoping that any pro-gay Senators will lose votes in the fall by defending us now. So I say, fair is fair. If they have no problem using our sexual orientation as a political weapon, we should have no problem using their sexual orientation and other sexual proclivities as political weapons either. Anyone who supports the FMA, or works for a political person or entity who does, had better watch his back. The days of our community protecting you while you stab us in the back is over... A lot of organizations are starting Calls To Action, and I just wanted let Queer OT know what's going on.

Stay Tuned...

2. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

I honestly don't care anymore.

I feel bad that I don't care and maybe it's a responsibility of me but I'm just tired of all of the bomb throwing between the two sides.

3. CoCo

Well, it has gotten to the point that we all keep hearing about it sooo damn much, and nothing at all is ever new. It just gets monotonous after a while, so I understand (but I'll still keep an eye out for what's going on in the news, and prob. post it too!)...

:wiggle:

4. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

:) My toughts exactly.

5. CoCo