A&P another request for critiques

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by poley, Apr 16, 2003.

1. poley

poley Guest

I took these pictures yesterday. The first 3 are nighttime exposures, and I would appreciate any advice on getting those better. The others are all with the macro auto settings, and I was surprised with how well (I thought) they came out.

2. coolchrisrm

coolchrisrm Because if I wear it any place else, it chafes.

Sep 10, 2001
    They are all in focus and look great, so you obviously are a master with using your camera, however the shots are kinda bland, and not very interesting, the best shots IMHO are the PineTree/PineCone they seem a little bit more interesting to view, even though your subject is not very exciting,
    (i do like that spider shot cause you can see the eyes, and hair on its leg :eek: :cool: )
  3. Jcolman

Jcolman Active Member OT Supporter

Aug 19, 2002
    The night time shots are not exciting because you don't really have any composition to them. Simply shooting the moon and some clouds with no framing is dull. Also the moon is blurry due to either a long exposure whereby the moon moves during the shot or the camera moved slightly.

Try framing the moon with some tree branches and lighting the branches with a "slave" strobe. The tree branches will look better if you can get the light up high and shoot it down on the branches, much like the moon light. Put a blue gel on the strobe for additional effect. The moon is a fairly bright object and doesn't require a long exposure. Bracket your exposures for best results.

Another great night shot is to shoot a city skyline at night, leaving room in the upper portion of the frame, rewinding the film in the camera and shooting a full moon with a telephoto lens, positioning it in the upper portion of the frame. Of course, it's easier to "bi-pack" two slides and reshoot them in a slide copier or simply photoshop the pics together into one shot.

Your macro shots are well exposed and sharp but that's about it. Close up shots of bugs really need something "extra" to make them special. A shot of a spider on a dew draped web lit by the rising sun can be spectacular. Another trick is to place your camera below the bug, not above it, so the viewer gets to see a unique angle. It will help to make the shot more dramatic.

4. poley

poley Guest

Thanks a lot. I'm really just getting used to my camera, so I'm working on focus and lighting (and exposure time) more than composition, but those are good things to keep in mind. I did the moon shots sans tripod, so that's why they're a little blurry.