Another Remote Desktop Help Post

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kuyajay, Feb 20, 2004.

1. kuyajay

kuyajay OT Supporter

ok, I'm trying to set up remote desktop so I can connect to another computer that is going through my router (netgear mr814). I did the steps on the microsoft website step by step. I "think" I even opened up the port 3389 that people say to open up for Remote Desktop. I tried connecting to the other computer using its ip address but it still won't let me connect. I get an error message saying that possible network problems are preventing my computer from connecting. I tried going to "browsing for more computer" section but all I get on the screen is my workgroup name but it won't let me open it up to see what computer I can connect to. Am I missing something?

2. skooter

skooter Guest

so both computers are behind the router? i use remote desktop and if i connect from outside of my network everything works fine, but if i connect within it will work for a little while then give me an error and close the window.

3. kuyajay

kuyajay OT Supporter

yeah both are under the same router.
    when I try to look through the workgroup, it says my workgroup doesn't contain any terminals error?

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I'ma little consused. Are you able to access the other computer through network neighborhood? If not, you probably have a network issue that is giving you the problems.

I use remote desktop to connect from my work PC to my home PC on the web and use the client without any problems.

What OS is the client machine running?

BTW, if you are staying in the network, you will not need to open port 3389.

5. kuyajay

kuyajay OT Supporter

Ahhh I'm sorry, I'm a bit illiterate on this computer stuff. But I dunno how to set up a network neighborhood or what it is? =)