Another rant about the iPhone...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by verbal, Mar 2, 2008.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

I was at a family gathering today and during the 1.5 hour drive home I got to thinking-- Apple puts so much thought and good ideas into their products. But why the fuck did they not put those good thoughts into the iPhone?

I've been working in the IT corporate world for almost ten years now. I know how things work-- numerous meetings for everything. And I'm sure there's even more meetings when a physical product is being produced. All the meetings involved in making the iPhone means they purposely chose all the bad features. And I don't mean lack of MMS or GPS or whatever.

They chose to have minimal iCal features. They chose to have a recessed headphone jack. They chose to have the volume controls only control the ringer and no other alerts. I could go on and on with this paragraph without ever mentioning something 99% of people complain about.

I just don't get why they chose to NOT make it do the basic things every smart phone should do. They could've easily done it AND made the phone innovative. How can a company do just about EVERYTHING right with all their products then release something this poorly planned? Just doesn't make sense.

2. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

so they can add them in software and claim new features later :o

That's what happens when you're better than the competition I guess, no need to work harder? :dunno: pisses me off too though, lack of real Bluetooth is complete bullshit.

3. inamorata

inamorata New Member

i never really thought of it like that

apple DECIDED to make a recessed headphone jack.....WHAT ASSHOLES!!!!

4. TALLandNcharge

TALLandNcharge New Member

Wow, some people are never happy. The recessed headphone jacked prevented my phone from falling to the concrete one day when I was listening to my music.

5. fatass

fatass New Member

is it any suprise they want you to use their hardware with THEIR hardware?

6. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Get an iJack and quit crying about the recessed headphone jack. Plus the iJack allows you to use your headphones as a hands free headset too.

7. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

God i hate my monster cable adapter i bought to use other headphones on my iphone. Then again im looking at getting some sennheisers soon anyways.

8. verbal

verbal Active Member

That's the thing-- they aren't adding new features. Three or Four firmware updates since it's release and what 'new features' have they added? Multiple home pages and mass SMS? Holy shit! Great new features! :ugh:

I'd just like to be able to use my DJ headphones with it, but I can't due to the jack. And it really doesn't bother me that much, I just used it for the rant.

9. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

yeah, I feel you. I thought about getting one several times now, but I think I'll wait longer. SDK and 3G have yet to show up, and I might just not buy an iPhone on principle until Bluetooth actually works on the thing. I mean come on, unlimited data and you can't tether it to your portable? Fuck that.

10. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

You can tether. I'm doing it right now.

11. verbal

verbal Active Member

What do you mean tether?

12. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Connect your Mac to your iPhone and use it as a modem to access the internet.

13. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

I'm going to guess that is more AT&T limiting that as opposed to apple, but thats just my guess. I could be wrong. I don't see why apple would care.

Plus, its possible, you just have to have some basic networking knowledge. I tether mine a lot on the go.

14. verbal

verbal Active Member

The only way to tether is by jailbreaking?

15. Pseudonym

Pseudonym --

still waiting for iPhone in Canada.

thought about buying one online and unlock it for Rogers, but i'm also waiting for the 32 gig to come in so the 16gb price drops.

16. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

It's definitely AT&T limiting it and not Apple. Allow tethering on the iPhone and they'd have a ton of extra traffic from the millions of iPhone users on their network. The AT&T network isn't all that robust and wouldn't be able to handle it (just look how it went down when the iPhone first launched and that's just general email and web browsing traffic). AT&T just recently introduced limits on tethering data on all other devices just like Verizon. They are also charging people to tether if they do it and don't have a tethering plan. A friend of mine just got an added charge for tethering with his Tilt when he didn't have a tethering plan but did have an unlimited data plan. If you go over 5GB/mon they cancel your contract and make you pay the early termination fee too.

Yes the iPhone must be jailbroken.

17. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

yeah but the tethering is that gay-ass wifi hack :down: there is NO reason not to support bluetooth when they already have full support in all their other computing products. For fuck's sake, they've already written all the code! (Don't get me wrong, I know enough about networking to do it, but it's completely obnoxious that you have to use a workaround in the first place)

Besides, wifi hack is fine for tethering, but what if you want to send someone else a contact to their phone, or browse a file in their phone, etc. Or listen to stereo audio with A2DP...

18. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

That shit is a massive copout IMO. Just because you can tether doesn't mean people are going to do it unless they are out of other, faster options. Who the fuck would use edge if a WiFi access point is available? And if the iPhone is pulling down full HTML for mobile Safari, then the lion's share of any browsing done tethered will look no different from browsing done on the mobile. So the traffic difference in practice can't be too large at all.

Hell, let's not forget that you can download whole youtube videos over edge on the iPhone as it is.

19. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

You would still see MUCH more traffic across the EDGE network if they allowed tethering. Browsing on the iPhone is nice but it will never replace the ease of using your laptop to browse and write emails.

20. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

while bashing at&t, why not through in the fact that they are forcing you into a 2 year contract while not offering any subsidies for the phone. generally, the wireless companies go with the contract to cover the cost of phone subsidies or to guarantee some good pricing, but no you get nothing. you can buy the phone for the same price without the service direct from Apple and there is no need to go with at&t.

21. skolen

skolen Guest

Cause if you already have AT&T/Cingular service you can just pop in your SIM and go, correct?

22. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

it's still the same amount of data being pulled down. Just because you're more comfortable at a computer doesn't mean you'll be able to work any faster than the network can feed you data.

Besides, what percentage of people with iPhones do you think would tether anyway? For the most part, that's a pro / business feature, and the iPhone is far from catering to those types.

23. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

It wouldn't be the same amount of data being transfered through. Data transfer rates went way up with the introduction of tethering even though people had had access to the internet through their phones from a long time before that (this is what I've been told from a friend that works with Verizon). You make it more convenient to get online with your laptop and people are going to be online using the data much more. Lots of people bring their laptops places where they don't have access to the internet. They may have their iPhone with them but it's still not as easy as opening Safari on your laptop and surfing. Plus there are lots of things you can do that involve data transfer on your laptop that you can't on the iPhone (or can't do easily). Hell you know if it was possible people would be using it for BitTorrent.

Not just business and pro users use tethering. It's becoming more popular all the time. Part of the holdback was that until recently it required a smartphone or more expensive phone. With the introduction of the iPhone and this smartphone surge you now have a much bigger section of the general cell phone user with cell phones capable of tethering and as such many more doing so. I know lots of people that aren't very tech savvy but tether. Plus if it was an available feature you know Apple would advertise it and because of that everyone would think it's cool and use it.

Why do you need to tether when you can do the same thing on your iPhone? Do you really think you wouldn't have more data transfer if you could?

Apple is adding features slowly. If they release them all now then there would be no value in buying any of the future iPhones. In addition they need to pick and choose which features to add. Why put the work into tethering which as you said many people wouldn't use when they can put their resources towards adding something like sudo-GPS?

24. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

The whole point is that the iPhone is THE device that has officially negated the distinction between phone and computer. Look no further than the following links for proof:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/12/26/uk-iphone-users-love-their-data

http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/03/03/bittorrent-unofficially-lands-for-iphone

Mobile computing on wireless data networks is the future. Lead, follow, or get the fuck out of the way... or the market will do it for you. AT&T/Apple are only delaying the inevitable by crippling the iPhone.

OK, now that sounds like a fucking cop out. Bluetooth is fully implemented in OS X, and tethering is a standardized Bluetooth service. Implementation of that feature would take no time, so don't think for a second that that limited resources are the reason that it's not on the iPhone yet.

Jobs is a jealous god and wants to keep as much control of the platform as possible, even if it impedes developers. Same goes for the iTS distribution of apps. Just because they have a "safe" channel for distributing apps doesn't mean that doing so requires excluding other distribution methods, but it's pretty clear that iTS is designed to be the ONLY way to get apps on your phone without hacking. There is simply no good reason for this that doesn't come back to Apple's desire for (IMO excessive) control of not just the OS, but what you can use it for.

Can you begin to imagine if Apple took this approach for Mac developers? "Sure you can write apps, but you can only distribute them through us. Oh, and we get to decide if you get to distribute them at all."

No thanks, at this rate I'll wait for Android. Apple is quickly losing me as a customer in this arena.

25. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Would you pay another $20 a month for tethering if the feature was available (the price that AT&T currently charges)? Would enough people pay it to make it worth wild to put the time into adding when people seem to bitch and complain about how slow EDGE is already? The iPhone makes it feel snappy but it's a bit painful like dial-up when you're tethered to it. It's still a first gen product. This is Apple's first time stepping into the wireless market. Maybe they'll add it when the 3G iPhone hits.

Bluetooth may be fully implemented in OS X but there are other reasons it may not be included on the iPhone. Maybe it takes up too much space and people would be mad if their 8GB iPhone only had 7GB of space on it. There could be a large number of reasons that it's not included. Maybe there are much more complicated reasons it's not. Who knows. You seem to act as if you know all of this would be very simple to add and they are completely going out of their way just to screw people over. I've met people on the iPhone development team and they use the phone too. Do you think in their meetings they said "Lets make a phone that I will use myself that is crippled."? I think it's more likely that they looked at what they needed to get it to the market as quickly as possible and what the bare minimum requirements were and started from there. GPS was a huge complaint so they addressed it with a firmware update as well as they could. Maybe next they'll pick MMS (although they fairly rightfully think that MMS is old and using email which is already on the phone is the way of the future). Features are being added but it's not going to all be there in their first release.

I hope Android is everything people are making it out to be (although it will be a challenge to make it work well with the numerous hardware manufactures and wireless providers). Hopefully when/if it takes off it will convince Apple to step up and compete.