MIL Another question from the Castle Air Museum v. KC-135 and B-52 painting

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by PanzerAce, Jun 6, 2008.

1. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

This time the question isn't how to pry open a cockpit;). I need to find out how the crew names are listed on the side of a KC-135 and B-52. Specifically, the location of the names (I've seen some pictures where it *looks* like it is painted on right below the text on this plane (KC-135): http://www.zavodsky.com/KC_135Selfridge.jpg), and how the various jobs are denoted (such as crew chief, load master, boom op, navigator, etc), assuming they are denoted at all. If you also know the lettering spacing/size, that probably is going to come up as well.

Thanks again guys.

edit: this is the picture showing what *seems* to be the crew names, in the lighter gray box under the cockpit, behind the plane number: http://www.afrc.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/070905-F-0000J-001.jpg

2. dubrocker

dubrocker sho nuff

here's all i got for the b52. there's one on display outside the museum here. i read your post and used it as an excuse to go for a ride. hope it helps!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Cool, any little bit helps. It looks to *me* like the stuff inside the state was the original location (based on font and wear), and the Capt. Bill is a later addition.

Cmon, I know SOMEONE on here has be able to walk outside to the flight line and atleast tell me where the names are, even if they can't get any pictures :squint:

And what is 'SRA'? in SRA BOYER?

4. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

its a B-52 so it was probably at Barksdale which is in Louisiana and therefore the star on shrevieport

SRA = Senior Airman, probably the crew chief of the plane

5. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

SrA is probably the ASSISTANT dedicated crew chief. Dedicated Crew Chief would be SSgt McMillian right above him. In those days the names and state were spray painted on using stencils. Now it is all vinyl. The names are also applied toward the top of the state. Check out this picture for a general idea.

http://www.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/070212-F-6256P-007.jpg

Up top next to the star it says "CREW CHIEF" and below are the names of the DCC and two assistants. Take it for what it's worth, I'm only a B-52 crew chief.

6. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

As for my not even close to expert information on the KC-135, usually the names are on the inside of the jet somewhere towards the crew compartment.