LGBT Another Priceless Thread

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by NOVAJock, Sep 17, 2005.

1. NOVAJock

NOVAJock Modded & Underrated

2. A gay gene? :eek5: This means a possible gay pill in a few years.

3. sholnay

sholnay New Member

i really have no idea what to say, I dont dare jump in to a thread like that - I have nothing to add - it just sickens me that some people think that way. someones post, i dont know who, was right when he said, referring to mark, that his views are why life sucks for a lot of people. what can ya do - im a pretty bad activist.

4. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

One could argue that being gay is a learned response, but I won't get into that theory.

;)

5. NOVAJock

NOVAJock Modded & Underrated

Why bother with him? Good question. I probably shouldn't waste my time, but I'd rather blow holes in his arguments, regardless of what he may publicly post, and make him look like a total ass, than to just sit there, and let him spew forth a pile of bigoted crap.

6. coma

coma New Member

I'd bet my last dollar that "Mark" has issues with his sexuality (*cough*gay) that he has yet to face. Those types always do.

7. Jeremie

Jeremie Guest

Bah.

I am all for being an activist and changing the minds of bigots such as Mark is my bread and butter.

However, I have to do that sort of work every freaking day of my life... I just don't have the energy anymore.

8. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf New Member

I don't have the energy for them either. The folks on the religion forum know everything there could ever be about the bible :rolleyes:

It is amazing how stupid I am in matters of my profession / call. Who knew the Bible has never been edited by humans and that the King James Version is the one true version? Who knew that homosexuality is a word that existed over 2,000 years ago and the original Greek words that were used in the Bible are wrong? Who knew the Book of Q never existed?

God - I should just let these bigots educate me instead of wasting all my time in class.

Fuckers.

9. Jeremie

Jeremie Guest

Who is the man in your avatar?

I appreciate winning a good cause, but I would kill for some time off. I wish I could just relax and enjoy life rather than having to fight this 24/7 battle.

10. marxwa99

marxwa99 Boom Squad

okay, i have to respond on a couple of points. And this is all my opinion and should not be taken as the truth. My experiences differ from others and how i've come to my conclusions are derived from these experiences.

First off, no matter what we do, as a minority (and some would even call it an oppressed) group of individuals, every action we do, no matter how personal ends up being political. I just ran a regression statistical analysis for an acquaintance yesterday and the data suggested that the passage of anti-gay laws in a state is potentially explained by the presence of the gay minority in the state. With that said, by being an out individual, with an active role in the community -- and when i say active, i dont mean activist, just simply being present amongst peers, gay and straight -- you are cultivating a positive social identity for gays.

Second, we all see it's pointless to argue back and forth. We can't change these ideas that are imbedded into these people. However, we should aim to determine how they have come to have these beliefs imbedded into their brains. We assume religion, but there are other reasons that are probably deeper than just that. Only when we make sense of how an individual has come to have a negative perception of gays (whether its due to religion, fear, self-hate, hegemony, etc.), can we attempt to express our opinions in a manner that considers their views and asks them to reconsider. In turn, they should do the same. YET, i should stress, that this is easier said than done, because really, there is no valid possibility of a middle ground or compromise.

i think the main culprit is hegemony. Heterosexuality has always been considered the norm. Homosexuality has been dubbed pathological, an illness, sodomy (due to misconstrued biblical translations), etc. With never an outright positive representation in western culture, unless some native tribes elsewhere, people are prone to generating these negative beliefs towards gays. It is only when people who have contact with gay people and are willing to be open-eared to their being can they be changed positively.

11. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

I will argue against this.
    I spent a good portion of my younger years thinking that the Bible was 100% correct and that homosexuality was wrong and etc....

These people may not have unresolved issues with sexuality, but more likely with a moral code that they have been trying to resolve logically. People live life in an incredible amount of conflict and this is where it comes out. They remember something, but when you ask them why its wrong according to what they believe in, they have no good answer.
    This scares them and they retreat deeper into a shell.

its sad really.