another offering to the broly gods

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by psy_caliber, Jun 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psy_caliber

psy_caliber New Member

another offering to the broly gods (old pic, pg.2)

Im trying to get a little smarter in this department… any help is appreciated. Ive been working out for about 15 months now. I used to be about 20% BF and couldn’t lift worth a damn. Now im significantly improved in both body fat and muscle strength. Ive gotten more and more serious as time passed, adding cardio, making my food intake stricter, adding protein, adding creatine, and now im eating moderate amounts of lean meat all the time with my food. But im still looking to get cut. I head about bulking or w/e, but I don’t believe you have to get bulky and then drop the fat before you get cut, because ive seen it done straight. Im just wondering what the difference in regimen is between a decent built, regular-workout guy and someone who is cut. This is what im eating now (been slacking as of late, but im getting back on it):

- BREAKFAST: about 1cup skim milk w/ multigrain cereal, 5 egg whites w/ fat free cheese and whole wheat toast, some type of lean meat (a little chicken, tuna, w/e), and a banana, water
    - Then I have a piece of fruit, like an apple or something, about 2hrs later, and water
    - LUNCH: crazy ass salad – lettuce, spinach, cucumbers, broccoli, mixed veggies, fat free cheese, lean meat (shrimp, chicken, turkey, tuna, or some combination), sunflower seeds, flaxseeds, fat free ceasar Italian dressing… makes a decent LB or 1.5LB of salad, and water
    - another piece of fruit & water few hrs later
    - creatine + cranberry juice, workout (about 7pm), LOTS OF WATER
    - DINNER: crazy salad again, with different lean meat(s)
    - Fruit again, and water
    - (right before bed) about 30g of soy/whey/amino acid protein blend w/ skim milk, and then some more water

as far as workouts... 4 days (1 off day): biceps, chest, abs (cardio)... legs, glutes (no cardio)... triceps, shoulders, back (cardio)... rest (no cardio). i workout an above-average amount of reps per group at decent weight, not too heavy though. "endurance style" or whatnot.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

lift heavier, read the stickies, stop typing in Times New Roman

3. psy_caliber

psy_caliber New Member

:ugh:

stickies = long/less personal/less flaming. this is better.

4. Elfling

Elfling New Member

The difference between "well built" and cut? Bodyfat percent.

Do you have any idea how many calories you are taking in? Just saying "big ass salad" doesn't mean much.

What's your current weight/height?

5. N-Word-Jim

N-Word-Jim Cure for boredom

Everything actually sounds pretty good, If you're still losing weight, just keep at it. If you've plateau'd and you want to lose more fat I'd probably drop 200 cals off a day the first week and another 200 the second day. It depends on how fat you are though. If you're really fat, you can drop it a bit more, but if you're already fairly lean (say average), then if you drop it much lower you're going to lose too much muscle mass while dropping the fat. Just keep in mind that once you get down a few % past average BF losing the rest/cutting up becomes a slow careful process.

6. psy_caliber

psy_caliber New Member

5'11, 168. im not fat at all, i have no problem with my fat content. i look like a slim dude who goes to the gym. but like most at my point, id like to get to that next level.

i always assumed that the greens in my salad were trivial. i dont count those calories (cheese, sunflower seeds, flaxseeds, and dressing i do, though)

its not the fat that i have a real issue with as much as its building muscle. i was wondering whether the food im taking in is sufficient to support muscle gains.

7. Elfling

Elfling New Member

That sounds pretty slim to me. Hard to judge without pics- but you don't have much to spare I would think at that height to be cutting. Have you thought about just lifting heavier for a while and seeing where it takes you? Not even necessarily actively bulking but- less high reps, more low rep high weight stuff and keeping your protein high.

8. Damnation

Damnation OT Supporter

i think reading the times new roman confused the fuck out of me. are you wanting to bulk up or what's your question?

9. Damnation

Damnation OT Supporter

that's yours to wonder. we all have opinions of what a decent build and a cut person looks like...that and bf%

10. psy_caliber

psy_caliber New Member

when i said "cut," i was also implying that i would like to get more of the muscle on first. though i do have much more than i once did, im still kinda skinny.

as far as lifting, ive always been a medium rep, medium weight kind of person. never tried low rep/high weight because i kinda liked having the endurance/strength in a smaller package, but my goals are obviously changing...

see if i can maybe get a pic up later tonite

11. psy_caliber

psy_caliber New Member

well theres people who obviously are regular gym attendees (many of us on this subforum) and then there are those that have it down to an art form. i wouldnt mind entering that phase. just trying to get smarter is all. by cut i dont mean low BF, i mean very muscularly defined.

for example, what are some good techniques for building mass... ive heard deadlifts (dont do) squats, bench, military presses (dont do)...

12. Damnation

Damnation OT Supporter

eat more, heavy weight, low rep. simple stuff nga

13. psy_caliber

psy_caliber New Member

lol i wish :hs:

thing is, i do on average maybe a total of 60 reps per muscle group (of the 3 for the day) at medium weights. takes about an hour for all 3. just for comparative purposes, what is an example of a low-rep, high-weight workout for any muscle group (pick one) that would give a good burn for a few days? give me your own stats, i dont care. just wanna get an idea of the reps/weight increase ratio

i do appreciate the positive feedback, as well. thanks to all u guys (and girl).

14. Damnation

Damnation OT Supporter

from what i read on sites, magazines, here...squats are the best mass building work out. what's with the "(dont do)"?

and it is simple dude. you're just looking to get bigger, but keep a low bf (correct me if i'm wrong). eat smart, lift heavy, and sleep.

15. Damnation

Damnation OT Supporter

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2493732

check out the links and pick whatever you think you'll like.

16. psy_caliber

psy_caliber New Member

thanks, ill check that out :)

17. ralyks

ralyks New Member

If by muscularly definied you mean you can see striations and muscles are visible seperately (ie you can clearly tell delt from bi) then you are talking about low BF.

18. psy_caliber

psy_caliber New Member

RIGHT..... but the muscles gotta be there first before you worry about a lower bF, doesnt it?

19. Durk

Durk New Member

I would like to help but I can't read, it appears there's something wrong with your font

20. energie

energie I like to place an order.. the name? Situation the

less salad more meat

21. Jam_Master_J

Jam_Master_J New Member

You've been lifting for 15 months and you still don't know what you're doing...

22. psy_caliber

psy_caliber New Member

lol god damn it i typed it in word and C&Ped it here. its hard to see the whole thread in the little box :hsr:

23. psy_caliber

psy_caliber New Member

youre wasting the internet to tell me that? what a douche bag, i said i wanted to get smarter on the subject. why the fuck would you be so redundant? is it to impress your friends and look like a real F&N veteran? :ugh2:

24. Damnation

Damnation OT Supporter

lol he's a bodybuilder. he can say whatever he wants because he really is > some of us

25. psy_caliber

psy_caliber New Member

he can kiss my fucking ass because at the end of the day, hes still a drag on the decent people of this subculture, no matter how much of an expert he is. im sure when he started, he went through the same struggles we all go through. but now he feels like hes part of an elite group and the less people in that group, the coolermore revered he is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.