Another Nuva Ring thread v. sigh...

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by foreverLost, Apr 19, 2007.

1. foreverLost

foreverLost New Member

There have been several threads about the nuva ring, and i just figured i would post my experience and hear others.

Before going switching from a daily BC pill to the Nuva Ring I did tons of research, probably too much because i was aprehesive after reading some of the horror stories! I had been on the pill for close to 3 years, had no side effects what so ever, just want to try somthing new, and not have to think about my birth control.

I had read stories about blood clots, sever depression, weight gain - ya know: normal BC concerns. I read an article online about 3rd generation birth controls (which contain desogestrel) that have a pretty scary rate of bloodclots in healthy young women. Why i was still willing to try the ring is beyond me. i figured i would be fine! i dont smoke, im healthy, and the chances of that actually happening are so low.

anywho. my doctor didnt discuss any of the side effects to me, or that i was supposed to keep them in the fridge because heat releases the hormones from the ring.

well, the first day i was all psyched to use the ring, i inserted it in the hot shower (doh!), and i got it up as far as i could (which wasnt very far). the most i could do was set it right behind the ridge of my pubic bone, laying flush on the front wall of my vagina. later that night walking around i felt it slip down. this continually happened about 10 times a day - it was extremely inconvenient. I let this keep happening untill i read online about using a tampon aplicator to push it up there, so i did. and it stayed up there for about..... 10 hours longer than before :rofl: SO ANNOYING!!!

I mean i would be at work, feel it slip down, it would be rubbing on my pubic bone and be painful, so i would walk to the bathroom, wash my hands, open the stall door without touching anyhting, then shut it and push the damned thing up there! On top of that, i was somwhere on a scale between spotting and full blown period for about 3 weeks (untill i stopped the ring).

the last 3 years on BC i had absolutely no noticable side effects. with the ring i read about heavy heavy discharge, but since i was basically on my period for the whole time using the ring, i never got that :mamoru:. I found myself getting extremely agitated, very easily. somone could be clearing their throat or sniffeling a few times and i felt like inside i was going to explode - i felt like i was going nuts!! I never got depressed, i just got angry :hs:.

I have always had a super high sex drive. i noticed on the 2nd day of it being in i had NO interest in my SO what so ever. 2 weeks in of not touching him he said " well just let me give it a try, maybe if i get you turned on you'll want it".... i could NOT get wet. i could NOT orgrasm. i was broken :wtc::wtc::wtc:

Every morning i would wakeup with a migrane - i NEVER got headaches before! that sucked! and even a lick of alcohol would give me a hangover.
    I started getting pains in my left foot. on and off randomly - now im not. sure if this was just in my head thanks to my exessive research :mamoru: , i suspected maybe i would be one of the few women who got bloodclots and died Sex was painful in most position, afterwards i would get a horrible burning sensation, enough to make me gag and almost throw up.. We only did this once - but my SO came in me and after he pulled out after, the burning started to set in...o god here it comes.... it got so intense i started to cry, he felt horrible but sex isnt supposed to be like this :ugh:

I would also get random crying spells, and i dont mean ' i spilled milk, wahhh :wtc:" like SO-- 'do you wanna go rent a movie tonite?' me-- :ugh::wtc::wtc::wtc::wtc:

i felt like a basket case. he still makes fun of me because i would be crying my eyes out wimpering ' i dontknow why im crying, im soo sorry " :mamoru:

i was on the last week with the nuva ring in before i was supposed to take it out and have a period when i got this horrible "reaction"? My first reaction was that it was a yeast infection since i keep having to adjust it, maybe my hands werent clean enough and i caused it myself. Well both sets of lips were swollen 3x the normal size, red, and extreeeemly sensative! It wasnt the normal burning and hot , itchy feeling a yeast infection would give. and i had this weird itching feeling inside of my vagina. that was odd.

i called my gyno, she was in with patients so i talked to a nurse there and she said oh oh oh ive heard of this happening, its either an allergic reaction or your body adjustng to the ring (but after 3 weeks????) and she said i was 'too narrow' for the ring so it kept getting pushed down. so i took the ring out and about 1 hour later GOD WHAT A RELEAF!!-- the pain and swelling was down dramatically :noes:

i couldnt bear to put the ring back in, i had the gyno call in a script for my previous lo-ovral BC pill... i am now on my period and feeling 150% better! cant wait to start my pills again.:hsd: anyone else?

2. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

thing is hideous.

Nothing like sticking your finger or dick in there and finding a hard peice of plastic. Talk about painful. I thought i cut my penis open when i hit it. Worse BC ever

3. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

Those horror stories really freaked me out. I've been on Depo for 3.5 years now and I haven't had a single problem with it. It's been great.

I've heard nothing but bad things about the Ring though. I even actually had a friend have some sort of allergic reaction to it. It was such a mess.

4. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

Yeah that's definitely not normal, you must just be allergic to it. I hope no one thinks that this is a reason not to use the ring but it works fine for most people, just not you. I never had a single thing like that happen and it never slipped out of place.

5. Midgetized

I think you are getting that confused with an IUD. The ring looks and feels like one of those jelly bracelets. It is very soft and you might feel it a little but it certainly wouldn't hurt.

6. Midgetized

You know you shouldn't be on the shot for more than 2 years right? Because it depletes your calcium levels and can lead to osteoporosis.

7. foreverLost

foreverLost New Member

Well i know 2 people on the ring personally, and they both have never had any slipping down or reactions, so i guess it is just me. i just found that weird because im not sensative to hormone BC normally... and when it would slip down, it wouldnt come out or even show on the outside, it would just rub the pibic bone and i guess the bottom of my vagina. it was just verrrrrrry very annoying! almost like having a tampon in too low and when you rock your hips back and forth you can feel....

8. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

Yup, I've known that since day one. I take 1000mg of calcium supplements daily for this exact reason.

9. Bear Klaw

Bear Klaw Guest

nope, i read the package it comes outa

10. LordOvenMitt

LordOvenMitt New Member

I just started the ring and I always feel like I am going to puke. My period is also always messed up. I had it for three weeks straight. And I have no idea now when I am even supposed to get it. It doesn't slip out, thank the lord though. I am very skeptical of it and am considering changing. The gyn said to try it for three full cycles before deciding to change. Ehhhh. We will see.