Another noob with questions. Sorry.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Boomer, Mar 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boomer

Boomer lulz OT Supporter

OK, so here's the deal. I'm 5'10, 130 lbs. I want to gain... a lot. I'm new to this whole thing, so don't jump on me if I don't understand something :hs:

I've read through all the noob threads in the archives, but I still have a few questions.

1) First off, I know I need to eat as much as I can. I'm shooting for 4500 calories a day. Is this a good amount at my weight?

2) Being a college student, it's not going to be possible to eat a meal every 3 hours. So will shakes be an acceptable replacement to eating all day? I've seen some shakes with over 1500 calories in them, so I don't see how it could be hard to acheive 4500 a day.

3) Speaking of shakes, does anyone have any links for recipes? I bought some whey today, and plan on buying some type of oil too. Should I buy fish oil?

4) I also bought some creatine powder. I've read that creatine alone will make you gain weight because of water retention in the muscles, but will this be a noticeable difference? Also, I won't start lifting until next week. If I'm not lifting, does it do any good to start taking creatine now?

5) Alright, last question. I have access to a great gym, but it's all machines :wtc: Is it absolutely necessary to use freeweights? If it is, I'll get a set somehow.

Sorry for being such a noob, hopefully you guys are helpful. Looking forward to joining the crowd here.

2. hip hippo

hip hippo Eric Berry, son.

Find free weights. :squint:

3. Socrates

Socrates New Member

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] The only way to gain muscle mass quickly is to use free weights. Most machines are a waste of time and they give you a false sense of strength. Pro bodybuilders and Olympic athletes do not use machines — they use free weights almost exclusively. - AE
    [/font]

4. nathanbx

nathanbx New Member

1. That's fine, if you don't start to gain weight just add 500+ more calories per day per week until you day.

2. Shakes are fine, and you don't have to eat all day, you can just eat 3-4 big meals if you want, just make sure each of them have alot of calories.

3. I'm sure you could google some recipes, I'm personally too lazy to open up another browser window, and yeah, get some fish oil.

4. Different people react differently to creatine, try it and find out, and about taking it before you actually start lifting, some people believe in loading the first 7 days, so I guess you could just start that immediately, I have no opinion on creatine or loading either way.

5. If the gym only has machines then it's not a great gym, and yeah freeweights are probably a must, I'd look into finding a new gym.

5. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

1) sounds reasonable... monitor progress, and go higher/lower based on your needs

2) debatable... high calorie shakes won't teach you good eating habits, but they will get you to your desired calorie level easily. Food will (usually) give you better health benefits, etc, but getting your daily calories from food isn't always possible.

3) You won't see much musculature benefits from fish oil alone, but there are a plethora of health and physiological benefits to be gained from taking it.
    (note that I said "see" benefits - it is there, but physical changes from it are generally tiny)

4) good question.. never thought about it

5) machines will work for you. They aren't ideal by any means, but it is way better than nothing. In reality, I would say stick to machines for a few months before buying a weight set. 90% of people will quit within a few months, so I feel it is better to make sure you are going to stick with it before making a big investment.

6. Boomer

Boomer lulz OT Supporter

It's the campus gym, so it's free to me. That's the main reason it's great. But I guess I'll find some freeweights. I have zero experience with freeweights. I could really use some advice on a regimen. I plan on working out 3 times a week.

I forgot another question I was going to ask. Since I'm so scrawny, does it matter what I eat? I mean I already eat a lot of protein anyway (chicken, milk, eggs), but is it alright to eat fast food, or junk food too? I figured that any food is fine if you're trying to gain weight, but I could be wrong.

7. n00bs are so confusing but you gotta start somewhere i guess :sad2:

8. forum95

forum95 Come see bout us OT Supporter

at 5'10 130, just hit the weights hard and eat everything you see

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.