A&P another noob thread

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Formula-95, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Formula-95

Formula-95 2:32 PM 5-13-09 Never Forget, Hamburglar OT Supporter

Hey guys! So many of you know I recently got myself a Canon XTi kit and I've heard that the kit lense isn't exactly the greatest, so i was wondering in your opinions, what would be a good upgrade all-around lense? I'm looking to spend anywhere from 100-400 bucks on a good one. Any suggestions? Links?

Also, if anyone wants to take the time to teach me about lens 'names' (the number/letter combinations) i'd really appreciate it!

2. Smeghead

Smeghead New Member

I have an XSi and I asked OTAP the same question and got the answer: Tamron 17-50.

3. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

For Canon lenses, EF and EF-S refer to the type of mount. EF lenses can be mounted on both crop body and full frame cameras (basically all Canon DSLR's) and EF-S lenses can be mounted on crop body cameras only (XT, XTi, XS, XSi, 10D, 20D, 40D, 50D).

USM refers to Canon's ultra sonic motor focusing. It's more accurate and faster than non-USM focusing, and also allows for "full time manual focus," which means you can focus manually even when the camera/lens is in auto focus mode.

IS stands for image stabilization. This will compensate for camera shake and allow you to take sharper pictures at lower shutter speeds (but it will not be able to "freeze" action if the subject is moving at slower shutter speeds).

The L you see on the higher end Canon lenses designates Canon's pro level lenses. These are built like tanks, usually include weather sealing, and use the best optics.

The number you see after "f/", such as f/2.8, f/4, etc, refers to the maximum aperture the lens is capable of. The lower the number, the "faster" the lens, which just means that the lens is capable of letting in more light (i.e., a wider opening). This will allow you to shoot in lower light situations, and will also increase the amount of bokeh, or out of focus blur, that the lens is able to create.

As for a lens under $400, this forum (and others) highly recommends the Tamron 17-50. If you want to spend less or stick with a Canon lens, I can recommend the 28-135 IS lens that comes with the 40D/50D kits. This lens can be found for about $250 on craigslist, and is a decent little lens with a good focal range (maybe a little long). I bought one for my girlfriend and she loves it, especially the IS.

Good luck!

4. Formula-95

wow, Mutombo, thank you VERY much, that's exactly what I needed!

also, is there any specific wide angle and macro lenses that OTAP goes for?

5. iDrive

iDrive OTAP crew. Muradadog crew. GO GATORS!

that would be my suggestion.

btw, there is nothing wrong with getting to "know" photography with the Kit Lens. I shot with it for a long time before I purchased my next lens. :dunno:

6. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

For Macro, a lot of people here recommend the Tamron 90mm macro. Personally, I'm probably going to get the Canon 100mm macro sometime next year. I think they are about the same price.

For wide angle, I'd recommend the Tokina 11-16. I have it and love it. The Canon 10-22 also gets excellent reviews. Other people here might be able to help with other 3rd party wide angle lenses.

You could also go with the 17-40L, which isn't as wide, but is considered one of the best value L lenses around.

7. Formula-95

thank you very much everyone, iDrive, i was going to be doing the same, as far as just using the kit lens to get a hang of the camera itself and what-not, i mainly was asking for future reference. but i agree with you completely.

Mutombo, thanks for your advice, i will definitely be looking into the lenses you mentioned.

another question...right now im in a very dusty environment, and i know changing lenses is when dust can get in and on the sensor, but my question is this: can dust get into the camera if i dont take the lens off to swap?

also...what do lens hoods do? and filters?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  8. iDrive

iDrive OTAP crew. Muradadog crew. GO GATORS!

Lens hoods help block out sunlight (and other strong lights) from entering the lens which reduces glare and lens flare.

9. Formula-95

ahh...good to know. are there times when you DONT want a hood on?