Another noob guidance thread...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by giz, Sep 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. giz

giz Active Member

Ok I hate to do this, but I want to start things off right so I have a couple of questions for OT FN.

I'm 5'10" 132lbs and want to start bulking. Actually, I started a week ago and can actually see some differences already. I'm doing my best to eat 5-6 meals a day (lots of pb+j) and have 1 GNC Mass XXX shake per day (right after I work out, or right before I go to bed depending on the day). I most likely will start supplementing that with a strictly whey protein shake a day as well, but not entirely sure yet.

I see everybody doing splits, but I'm just doing a full body routine on T-Thurs-Sat. Does that seem ok? I haven't seriously worked out in several years and would like to see full body improvements.

My routine looks like this:

Squats - 3x5x165 lbs
    Bench - 3x5x110
    Flies - 2x8x50
    Wide Grip Pull-Ups - 2x8 (assisted 30lbs)
    Dips - 2x8
    Seated Cable Row - 3x6x90
    Shoulder Press - 2x6x80
    Weighted Hyperextension - 2x10x25
    High Pull - 3x6x50 (was doing close-grip but caused a lot of rotator cuff pain?)
    Single Arm Pulley Curls (both bicep and tricep) - 3x6x30/40
    DB Curls - 3x6x25
    Calf Raises - 2x10x130 (had to stop, injured tendons in top of foot)
    Crunches - 2x10x70
    BB Wrist Curl - 2x10x50

All of these are on machines, minus the DB curls. I don't really follow a set order, other than Squats are always first. From there I kinda just go by what feels rested, though I tend to leave arm work at the end. But by then, I tend to be tired.

So I guess I'm asking if that routine looks alright for building mass? Am I blatantly over/underworking anything? Shoulder, lats, traps, arms, and chest are all very important to me, but I also am looking for proportionality in my legs. Also, is there a recommended order in which I should work the body parts, and am I ok not using a split routine?

One last thing, with the single arm pulley curls, my left arm is noticable weaker than my right. What is the recommend course of action? For example, I can bicep curl 40lbs with my right for the entire set, but can only do 30lbs on my left.

Thanks for any help, if I have left something out please ask me to clarify. I have pics for reference, but I doubt anybody is interested :)

2. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

I stopped reading there. Get a proven routine.

3. AaronOC

AaronOC Guest

start a bill starr routine, get 20Xbodyweight in cals, 1-1.5Xgrams of protein per lb of bodyweight and you're set

4. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Guest

Machines? Oh come on man. NO machines.

5. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

i hate machines.

well, except cable flys. ok, and pull-downs. and maybe the occasional cable row. :wtc:

so i hate all machines except cable machines.

6. giz

giz Active Member

Without a spotter there to help me, it's hard to keep away from them. I mean, I do weigh fricken 130, I'm not the strongest man and don't necessarily trust myself to keep my form correct while still trying to challenge myself. :hs:

I will admit, during a bench PR test in high school, I tried for a second rep and dropped the bar onto my face. It jammed my teeth into my bottom lip, not exactly something I want to happen again.

7. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Well yea dont try to do a 1rm on the first rep

8. Marijuanair

Marijuanair Remember to have your pet spayed or neutered! OT Supporter

as unpopular as machines will aways be to the "hardcore" oldbies of lifting, you can get a plenty good workout from them. I'm not saying I do them or recommend machines over free weights, but if you're just starting out, dont feel the slightest bit bad about cutting your teeth on machines. The important thing is that you're getting exercise, I've yet to see a motorized machine in any gym so far.:o

9. LancerV

Yea but then when you go to do free weights all your numbers are going to suck

10. Abomb

Abomb New Member

my recommendation is instead of doing a buncha machines like a silly vag, just start off at really low weight free weights

11. John Blaze

John Blaze New Member

12. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

I was wondering have any of you tried the 10x3 method, Im 17 and just signed up for the YMCA and weight training at school So im going to start lifting, I need to los about 30 pounds in 1 year and improve my pushups, situps and running numbers, but I dont want to get skinny so I started lifting.

13. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

If you're new at lifting you should stick to higher reps (8-12, sometimes 6-8) because your CNS needs to adjust (greater motor unit firing coordination, etc) and also to work on form.

14. LancerV

You can loose 30lbs in 15weeks

15. hootpie

hootpie New Member

I'd recommend the modified Bill Starr routine as well. Also, I'm curious as to what your form looks like when you squat 165 ie are you making it to parallel or below?

16. giz

giz Active Member

When squatting, I'm facing a mirror and making sure I hit parallel. My legs have always been my strong point, kinda why I'm focusing more on my upper body right now.

I will have to look into the Bill Starr routine, and it looks like everybody is hating the machines. I'm not a huge lifting noob like I may have come off as, it's just that I've never written down a routine and stuck with it for longer than a month.

17. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

yes I realiz this but can you buildup muscle in those 15 weeks as well, I know i can lose much more than 30lbs in one year but I want my weight at about 185,with muscle and everything, although Im not exactly sur how to go about it. My WT Instrutor is teaching me proper form and I took out some books on the subject and saw some workouts on here, I like the 10x3 method.

Oh and sorry about the thread hijack man.

18. LancerV

You cant build muscle and diet at the same time, strength yes, muscle no

19. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

I didnt say I was dieting. Its just that as I understand it as i build lean muscle, even though Ill gain weight from heavier muscle mass, then I will also burn more fat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.