Another issue with G4 iMac

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tenplanescrashing, Feb 2, 2008.

1. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I was finally able to erase and install tiger again (10.4.1) on my aunt's machine. Thinking I finally have a successful install, I left so my cousin could set everything up. The only thing I did before I left was run software update and it had 5 items to update: java update, macosx combo update (10.4.11), DVD update and the others I can't remember.

It ran that, restarted then restarted again. After it came up, my cousin said it wouldn't launch software update at all and the only two programs he could launch were system preferences and itunes. Nothing else will launch. Restarts, shutdowns, etc., aren't helping.

We suspected the machine of having a failing HD before but now im thinking it is the memory. Problem is...the DVD drive doesn't work so I can't just pop in the osx disk and try running disk utility and I can't run it from the applications folder.

does this sound memory related, HD related or something else?

2. neonwheels

neonwheels New Member

How'd you get the OS back on it?

Can you run disk utility?

Have another Mac? Start the one above in target disk mode and run disk utility on it.

If none of those work, run to Best Buy and either buy an external cd drive or an external bay and whatever CD drive would work for you and hook it up. If nothing else, return it once you're done.

3. tenplanescrashing

I had to use a friend's ibook because my MBP can't install the OS onto a PPC machine. I can't get to disk utility from the machine so I may have to target mode it again.

The reason I reinstalled the OS is because it wouldn't boot before. We have an ext. HD and all files have been moved to it. I can't boot from it because it is a USB device, not firewire... :(

4. migwuk

migwuk New Member

Get diskwarrior and techtool deluxe. boot, hold c while booting, run both programs one at a time. techtool will detect hardware failure. diskwarrior will fix filesystem errors. diskwarrior version 3.03 for tiger. don't remember techtool version though.

5. tenplanescrashing

I just found out that my rescue disk a friend burned for me has techtool on it...im going to use that and see what I come up with.