Another "I went out for milk" thread v. FRC

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Market Garden, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Sorry for the lame pics, I'll get some more when the god damn sun isn't glaring off the car. It's a 99 FRC, so far the only mods I can find on it are the Billy Boat exhaust (which is loud enough to wake the dead) and the stupid blackout tail light covers (which are coming off in about 5 minutes.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Feel free to bring on the standard "GM is crap" and "corvettes suck" comments.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2007
  2. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

Who cares what other people say about your car that you paid for?

Good luck with it... :bigthumb:

3. I'm perfectly fine with it, I really don't care what other people think. :bigthumb:

4. Yeah. I can't wait to get the T1 suspension on it and get to the track and stomp all over the Z06s. My next track day is in about 2 weeks, so it'll still be stock (with brake mods) but soon I know a few Z06 guys that had better watch out.

5. Chris951

Chris951 New Member

FRC is pretty much a Z06 but in coupe form. There was no Z06 in 99.

6. The transmission ratios are slightly different, and the engine is different. The Z06 has a light titanium exhaust, but my aftermarket exhaust is lighter. Those are the main differences. The chassis is identical.

7. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

thats really nice (except the lights obviously)

LS1 im guessing? How powerful?

8. Yeah, LS1. Factory rated at 345HP and 350TQ.

9. BigT

BigT LSX Crew

engine and suspension were different also.

Nice car, plans? :)

10. krs1

krs1 Do you know how fast you were going?...How fast yo

my dad had that car got rid of it and got an 06 z but as much as the new z is a beast i will always love that car! good luck ull love it!

11. Correct, I plan to address the suspension (see below) and then the only significant difference will be the engine (and the small difference in transmission ratios.)
    Plans are a full T1 suspension package, and then track the hell out of it. I am going to leave the engine stock for as long as possible, so when I whip the C5Z guys they have to admit they lost to a car with 60 less HP.

12. dr.zed

dr.zed DR.ZED OT Supporter

BTW... Billy Boat is referred to B&B for those wondering WTF kind of exhaust that is.

I had a B&B TriFlo on my LT1 Camaro. One of the best exhausts out there.

13. I paid a little over 20K OTD. It's got 94K miles. I am not a huge fan of the pewter either, but the FRC is hard as hell to find, so I'll live with it.

14. As long as it's been maintained mileage is no problem. There are guys whose C5 track cars have 150,000 miles on them, with no problems. It's just routine maintainence.

15. That is true, but also lots of them just take it to the dealer every 3000 for oil changes, and just fork over the cash. Sometimes ignorance leads to great service records.

As an aside, the LS1 is pretty robust even in tough conditions. When they were being developed the engineers ran one on a dyno at WOT for 520 hours straight. The engine was fine after they stopped.

16. BigT

BigT LSX Crew

I was not a fan of pewter till i owned a pewter z28 last year and really started to like it. :)

17. Chris951

Chris951 New Member

I've hear that LS1's start to lose compression after 60k. And my dad's C5 with 79k has really bad lifter tick :hs:

18. I've never heard of the compression loss issue.

19. Chris951

Chris951 New Member

I have heard it from a couple LS1 owners. Probably doesn't affect all LS1's but I don't know.:dunno:

20. Nice buy hope you have fun with it.