another Help Sharing B/N XP Computers

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dissonance, Mar 20, 2008.

1. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

So, I have my main PC with Windows XP Pro with all current updates on it. I have never had a problem connecting from this computer to any other. I have not every been able to connect to it from another computer though. This is my problem. To get it out of the way, I have attempted with all firewall/virus/spyware protection turned off on both ends.

My main PC is hardwired into the router (ZyXEL X-550 with WPA/MAC Filtering/SSID cloking) and the HTPC is wirelessly connected. I don't see this being an issue as I have the same problem with hardwired computers. All user accounts are administrators and none have any passwords.

When trying to connect to it from my HTPC I receive this message (sorry for the large font):
    [​IMG]

Here is the Sharing settings for my main PC:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and here are the authentication network settings on my main PC:
    [​IMG]

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

file and printer sharing enabled in the firewalls of both machines? simple file sharing turned off on both machines?

3. dissonance

Firewalls turned off on both machines. As for simple file sharing, it is on my main PC (trying to connect to) but my HTPC, I have XP Home so have no option.

The only computer I have that I have sharing problems with is my main one running XP Pro. My HTPC computer has been able to access other computers no problem, just not my main one.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you can ping them okay?

5. dissonance

ping from HTPC to main PC:
    [​IMG]

Ping from main PC to HTPC:
    [​IMG]

6. dissonance

And I am able to see my main PC from the HTPC when I go to "My Network Places" but get that error message posted above when I try to connect.

I have had it setup for a month or two and am not too worried about it now. It would just be nice not to have to hop onto my main PC when I want to watch/transfer videos/music.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you can see it in network neighborhood, but can't access it then it's a permissions issue.

8. dissonance

Yea, thats what the initial screenshot I posted implied. I'm just stumped on what to try. I have the permission for each folder to give "Everyone" "Read" access.

9. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

In one of the screenshots, I see SIDs in the permissions list. Are you connected to an Active Directory? If so, its possible that the default domain policy disallows file shares.

10. dissonance

So when I create a User Profile with the name HTPC and a password of HTPC and then do the same on my htpc, it allows me to connect. So pretty much, I have to user a username/password on my HTPC and have the same account on my main pc. Is there anything I'm missing that would make it so I don't need a user account on my main PC in order to connect to it?

11. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

Without some type of directory service, yes. Or, when you map the drive, you can specify the credentials you want to use to map the share, in the form mainpc\username. The reason it works when both pcs have the same account name with the same password is because its passing your current credentials to the other computer, and that computer is assuming that the credentials it receives are referencing a local account.