GUN Another good sniper gone...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by twistid, Sep 15, 2009.

1. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

Sniper leader dies in Afghanistan

Sgt. Juden, 23, believed in his duty
    By SYDNEY BLAND
    Managing Editor
    Published:
    Monday, September 14, 2009 2:28 PM CDT
    At 11:30 Saturday night, Bob and Reatha Juden had visitors they hoped they would never meet.

Within two hours of any military-related casualty, officials from the U.S. Department of Defense are sent as a courtesy to the home of the next of kin so they learn of the death of their family member officially, rather than through the media, said Bob Juden, a science teacher at Arkansas City Middle School.

The Judens were told that night their son, Tyler, had just died in Afghanistan. He died during active duty while serving with Troop C, 4th Squadron, 73rd Cavalry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division.

Tyler was born on Jan. 18, 1986. He was 23 years old.

Juden was a sniper in the Army for approximately three years and was serving as squad leader with the squadron's sniper section when he died. He was based out of Fort Bragg, in North Carolina.

He also is survived by his sister, Jacey Juden, a 2007 graduate of Arkansas City High School.

He wanted to be a teacher when he completed his tour with the Army, Bob Juden said.

"Tyler was a great, dedicated young man. He was an all-American kid," Juden said this morning. "He was passionate; he was passionate with his friends, his family and the things he loved. He loved the things he loved and hated the things he hated. There wasn't much middle ground."

According to Army personnel, he was a great sniper. He advanced much faster than he should have and more quickly than most sniper trainees because of his natural ability.

"He was a championship shooter with his BB gun when he was 5," Juden said. "He was also active in football, track and baseball, but shooting was his thing."

COWLEY COUNTY, Kansas – Two Kansas soldiers made the ultimate sacrifice over the weekend after both were killed fighting in Afghanistan.
    Both have strong ties to Cowley County. Soldier Daniel Cox was born in Winfield and Sgt. Tyler Juden went to school in Arkansas City.

Both families spoke with KSN Monday.

Sgt. Tyler Juden was among the very best the Army had to offer. He served as a sniper for the elite Army unit that he handpicked and trained himself.

He was killed by Taliban soldiers in Afghanistan over the weekend.

“I’ve always been proud of him,” said Bob Juden, Tyler’s father. “Even when he was a kid he was so unique.”

Daniel Cox was killed by an I-E-D and gunfire. Lydene West helped raise her grandson for years and says Cox was growing weary of the seemingly constant gunfire in Afghanistan.

"I have said prayers every night for him," explains Lydene, "that he would come home safely and that he wouldn't get hurt over there."

Lydene got the call this weekend from Daniel's parents, who now live in Parsons.

"She asked if I was sitting down," says Lydene, "And I knew right away he was gone."

Cox was already skilled working with wood before he left for the service. The soldier wanted to open a woodworking shop with his father when he came home next June.

Juden's tour in Afghanistan also would have been over in 2010.

Tyler’s skill as a sharpshooter was enhanced over his lifetime. He started shooting at just five years old when his dad would take him turkey hunting. He won several awards for his marksmanship. His sister remembers fondly spending afternoons with her big brother. She says no black bird in Cowley County was safe.

“He didn’t miss, you know,” said Jacey Juden, Tyler’s sister. “”It got to the point where it was no big deal. If he did miss, it was like, ‘holy cow what’s wrong with you?’ he was good.”

He wound up a sniper by accident. During an assignment driving around cadets at West Point, a sergeant gave him a shot at sniping. He was perfect, hitting 40 of 40 targets twice when none of the cadets could do it once.

Tyler rose up the ranks quickly, getting a chance to handpick his elite squad during his second tour in Afghanistan.

“He trained all of those snipers,” Bob said. “They all went to sniper school and they all passed sniper school - he was such a great teacher.”

“He was my hero,” said Jacey. “I don’t know if he ever knew that, but he was.”

Tyler Juden had plans to become a state trooper after he was done in the Army, but recently told his dad he changed his mind and wanted to follow his parents’ footsteps and become a teacher. He said he didn’t want to be in a position where he might have to shoot someone again.

At the V-F-W Post #10 in Winfield, a picture of Cox now sits at the front entrance... a reminder of service to his country.

"We're proud of him for serving his country," says Lydene, "And we're gonna miss him.

video:
    http:[email protected].net&navCatId=17

2. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

RIP. Thanks for your service.

:(

3. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

Another good soul gone. I hope he rests in peace.

4. BLH

BLH Member

I probably shot with that man growing up in competitions and never knew it.

RIP. :(

5. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

Damn, sounds like he finally learned something, too. :(

6. Bacardi 151

Bacardi 151 New Member

Fuck RIP :wtc:

7. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan - An 82nd Airborne Division paratrooper died from injuries sustained during an ambush on a convoy of both Afghan National Army and International Security Assistance Forces providing security for the World Food Organization in Farah, Afghanistan.

The convoy, including 14 contracted trucks carrying 500 metric tons, was targeted by roadside bombs and mortar fire on Saturday.

Sgt. Tyler A. Juden, of Arkansas City, was an infantryman with 4th Squadron, 73rd Cavalry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division.

Enemy forces attacked his unit with rocket-propelled grenades and small-arms fire near Turan, Afghanistan, according to the U.S. Department of Defense.