GUN another fucked up thing about CA

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Paul Revere, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i just heard this recently but have not seen any proof about this.

apparently in CA, the state can restrict your right to buy a gun if:

1. you have any unpaid tickets for your car (parking, traffic, etc)
    2. have an expired drivers license
    3. have not paid owed child support

the first two are fucking ridiculous: the state has taken something that is a privilege (driving) and hinged a constitutionally protected right upon it. now, having a drivers license is not mandatory and regardless about whether its expired or not its still a valid form of ID - its just the ability to drive is restricted. somehow the state of CA thinks that means its OK to not let you buy a gun :ugh2: nice.

the last one is interesting because you cant exercise your constitutional rights if you owe money to a third party. :ugh2:

i'm still trying to find more information on these, but if anyone has anything to post go right ahead.

2. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

3. Bacardi 151

Bacardi 151 New Member

I've heard of them too. I am almost 100% the child support one is true.

AFAIK the expired thing applies to passports too, which is funny as fuck considering for I-9 (federal) employment verification, an expired passport is valid.

Their reasoning is if the license is expired, you could have stolen it, which makes shit little sense since a valid license could be stolen too. :rolleyes:

Our state sucks and hates us having guns. :hs:

4. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

it doesnt matter if either drivers license or passport are expired, the only thing that effects is driving and traveling respectively. they're still VALID forms of identification.

5. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

oh, i remember some more. its not that you're restricted from buying a gun but that you're put into some type of limbo where you're delayed from picking up the gun.

i'm trying to track down more information on it now

6. Bacardi 151

Bacardi 151 New Member

You can't buy alcohol with an expired license either. At least in California.

and for I-9 documentation, only an expired passport is still usable.

Firearms, I don't know but I am almost sure it said on the form that an expired license wasn't valid for firearm purchase. :dunno:

I agree it is bullshit for sure. :hsd:

7. Bacardi 151

Bacardi 151 New Member

What is the process for purchasing a firearm in California?

All firearms purchases and transfers, including private party transactions and sales at gun shows, must be made through a licensed dealer under the Dealer Record of Sale (DROS) process. California imposes a 10-day waiting period before a firearm can be released to a buyer or transferee. A person must be at least 18 years of age to purchase a rifle or shotgun. To buy a handgun, a person must be at least 21 years of age, and either 1) possess an HSC plus successfully complete a safety demonstration with the handgun being purchased or 2) qualify for an HSC exemption.

As part of the DROS process, the buyer must present "clear evidence of identity and age" which is defined as a valid, non-expired California Driver's License or Identification Card issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles. A military identification accompanied by permanent duty station orders indicating a posting in California is also acceptable.

If the buyer is not a U.S. Citizen, then he or she is required to demonstrate that he or she is legally within the United States by providing to the firearms dealer with documentation that contains his/her Alien Registration Number or I-94 Number.

Purchasers of handguns are also required to provide proof of California residency, such as a utility bill, residential lease, property deed, or government-issued identification (other than a drivers license or other DMV-issued identification).

(PC Section 12071)

---------------------

From here: http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.php

See we suck :(

8. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i messed up on the parking tickets, the three for sure are owed child support, suspended license and expired license.

9. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

why the fuck is glassuser in my thread :ugh2: dude NEVER posted in wmd before the last 1-2 weeks.

good thing hes on my IL list :coolugh:

10. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

yeah, thats total bullshit. just one more way the state wants to get money for letting citizens exercise their constitutional rights :ugh2:

11. Bacardi 151

Bacardi 151 New Member

Yeah I never heard of the ticket one before. I've heard it could fuck up other shit though. :dunno:

12. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

i hope you guys are talking to your reps to get the shall issue bill passed.

13. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

In the eyes of the law, a state-issued ID (dispensed by the same agency that handles drivers' licenses) is the same thing for identification purposes. Driver's licenses are damn-near universal so the disclaimer "or state-issued ID" is often omitted from ID requirements.

If your ID has expired, I don't find it terribly surprising that the state might not want you to be obtaining firearms. The lack of other means to prove your identity is a shortcoming in the process and troubling (ex: passports are more difficult to obtain than drivers' licenses last I checked).

14. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

yes, i understand that an expired license makes some sense in terms of delaying your purchase.

however, what about a suspended license and/or owing back child support? neither of those things should have any impact on how fast i can purchase a firearm.

15. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Also if you don't have insurance on your car they can have the FFL hold the gun :o

16. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

GG California. one more way to fuck the people and collect more money.

17. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

lol how'd you find that one out? or should it be obvious you broke motherfucker :o

18. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

reading CGN before it became a bunch of fascist anti-1A posters :dunno:

19. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

HOW DARE YOU FUCKING TALK DOWN ABOUT THAT SITE.

:mamoru:

yeah, fuck them.

20. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Expired drivers license is invalid by law in many states, afaik

21. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

That's what I was thinking. Pretty sure Texas law requires a valid driver's license for the transfer.

edit: although I can't find anything in the Texas Penal Code (chap. 46) or the Govt Code (chap. 411) about this law. I see it quoted several places ( http://www.texasgunstore.com/education.html#FAQ3 ) but I can't find anything official.

I know it's used in practice because the last gun I bought (from a dealer) they wouldn't let me fill out the 4473 because my license had expired. My wife filled it out, so I guess technically it's her gun :rolleyes::rofl:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009