Another external HD question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by offthahook, Dec 10, 2007.

1. offthahook

offthahook New Member

I'm thinking of getting about a 500GB external myself. What are decent brands/prices and is newegg a good source? Also, is there a way to hook it up to my PC without having to plug the external drive into an outlet? I thought I heard there was a notebook style that uses a USB for transfer, but got its power through the desktop/laptop somehow. Western Digital seems to be popular. Any red flags? :)

2. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

The ones that use the USB to power themselves can only be laptop drives so that limits your size significantly. As for brands, try hard to get a Seagate, most reliable one of the best warranties. Western Digital and I had a bad streak of luck a few years back but their warranty has gone up to 5 years now so I'm more inclined to trust them again and as such have 6 400's from them in my system now. If you want a 500, try looking at some of the prebuilt ones, but in all honesty, building one yourself might be cheaper, and then you get to pick a case you like better. I'm fond of the Metal Gear Box cases after I cut the LED light out of them.

3. Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Dr. Mantis Toboggan New Member

Seagate is excellent. 5 year warranties right out of the box. And don't go with the USB powered ones if you don't need the portability - the drive seek time is much slower at 5400RPM and plus you have to pay a LOT more per GB. If you're going to buy one at Best Buy, make sure it's on sale though. Sale prices are the same as employee price.

4. offthahook

offthahook New Member

Looks like the popular choice would be Seagate FreeAgent Pro USB/eSATA/FireWire external hard drive (500GB), but the reviews from consumers weren't that great. The experts seemed to like it just fine, but actual user reviews were really low. Anyone have experience with these units? AND do you have to use Seagate's software or can you just drag and drop with XP pro? TIA.