Another dual monitor question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bilmind, May 20, 2003.

1. bilmind

bilmind Licka' Licka' High

Hey guys, I have a system running WinXP. I have two monitors that I want to hook up to it. The kicker is I have an AGP slot with a GeForce 2 GTS and an old PCI graphics card. Question is what else do I need to run these two, right now I only get a display on the AGP card...

2. Redmouse

Redmouse Just looking...

Windows XP should have detected the second video adapter. Check display properties to see if there are 2 monitors present. The second one may be greyed out. Right click on it and enable it. If the second monitor is not present, check device manager for any conflicts. You may need to load a driver for the card. If all else fails, pull the AGP card out and test the PCI card by itself. The card maybe bad.

Good luck.

3. bilmind

Well they both show up on the device manager, however the PCI card comes up with an exclamation on it.
    I removed the AGP card and used the PCI and it worked fine, so I know the cards good. Just don't believe it supports dual cards?!? Am I correct in this assumption?

4. SENTmusic

SENTmusic if you can clean an oven you can clean me!

it is very difficult to get dual monitor on 2 seperate video cards, especailly if they are different manufacturers etc. the easiest way is to buy an AGP card with VGA and DVI outputs

5. bilmind

Got it working now, Thanks. :)

6. MikeMurder

MikeMurder Guest

Why would you need two monitors?

7. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Why wouldn't you? I don't know how I survived before I got my second monitor (and orginally I had a PCI/AGP combo myself - I've since upgraded to a dula head). It's great having email open on one screen, code on another. Or analyizing numbers, playing 3d games...

8. bilmind

Exactly...

9. Redmouse

Redmouse Just looking...

I have my main photoshop image in one window and all the tools on the other. Same with Dreamweaver. It makes it easier when you can see the entire image when you're working with it.

10. MikeMurder

MikeMurder Guest

11. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:werd: I wouldn't mind running two monitors, it'd be ideal on Gnome with the multiple desktops and such. Very handy for programming and such (like having compiler errors open full-screen and code open full-screen :o).

12. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

For future reference, I have heard that most of the conflicts with dual video cards occur when the PCI card is in the slot right under the AGP slot. If you move it to one of the other ones it might work.

We upgraded a whole bunch of video cards at work and have alot of TNT2 PCI cards laying around. If I can find a decent monitor I would love to get a dual monitor setup running again. :cool: :big grin:

13. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

It also makes a diffference which slot gets priority for the BIOS - PCI not AGP gets the primary display

14. bilmind

Heh, thats exactly what was wrong with mine. :)