GUN Another day at the range *PICS* :yawn:

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by xpinchx, Apr 19, 2008.

1. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Shooting pretty decent groups with the 10/22. I'd say just about half of my 3 shot goups are under 1/2" at 50 yards using a 3-9x tasco. Put about 100 rounds thru it today, I scanned up some of the better targets. I put about 60 through my WASR-2 as well, but I think I'm just going to stop shooting it until I can get a scope or at least a red dot on it. The sight is canted and even though it's adjusted as far as it will go, it still shoots about 4-5" to the right at 50 yards. :hs: Anyway, here's my targets. It's been pretty slow in here lately, so if you're bored post up some targets or pics from the range.

I'm getting bored of shooting paper. I spent about 50 of those rounds shooting moths that were flying around the posts, and I've also found that spent shotgun shells make nice plinking targets. For some reason there's a ton of shells strewn along the 50 yard range so that was fun watching them jump around.

black centers are 1/2"
    [​IMG]

2. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

All targets have either rotted away or disintegrated. Paper punching gets too boring.

3. xpinchx

Yeah but there's not much else to shoot at out here.

4. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

back woods shooting ranges ftw

theres one about 25 miles away. went out there one time and someone had a washing machine in the middle of the range. last time i went i spent the day listening to the sound of rounds hitting a 6 foot steel circuit breaker door

5. xpinchx

How do you come across places like that? :hs: I live in farm-land so there's bound to be something like that around here, but the only range I know of within a half hour is a state park range, so lots of strict rules.

6. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

I can't wait to get a rifle and start shooting stuff. I've got a stack of about 50 dead hard drives that are going to get well ventilated :mamoru:

7. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

b/c theres only 2 outdoor shooting ranges here. both are the same distance from me, just in opposite directions.

one is a well ran, organized shooting range with lanes and coverings. its on top of one of the mountains in a protected part of the woods. the other one is, well, the side of a 50 foot dirt dig out. its a "range" b/c it used to be used by that city's police department for practice. once they got a new range they abandoned it. seeing as its in the middle of a town that isnt big enough to even be on a map so Georgia decided to remove it, the kinfolk down there can basically do what they want with the place. they get to take whatever they want to the range b/c there arent enough cops for that city to drive out to the range to see whats going on in addition to patrolling the more populated parts.

8. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

Farmland is perfect. I have over three different dairies to shoot at, all within less than ten to twenty minutes. One has pigeons, others have squirrels, rabbit, coyote, and mudhens.

Im sure you have somewhere around where people will let you shoot on their land.

9. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

I'm building my own range in less than a year on 17 acres. :)

10. xpinchx

How do I go about finding a place like that? I don't know anyone that has a farm or any land. Do I just go up to farmer's houses and ask if I can shoot on their land? You'd think it would be hard to do because if anything happened to me (say, I catch a ricochet in the face) wouldn't they run the risk of being liable?

11. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

I find them by people I know or who my brother knows. We have never had a problem yet as we never shoot towards buildings and always knowing what is beyond the target.

Do you know anyone who knows anyone? I would never shoot on private land without permission. Luckily we have permission to go on their land whenever we want without even letting them know, although it is still best to let them know. A few of the places even like if you shoot there because you keep their rabbit population down. Even the neighbors of one of our friends' dairies likes it that we shoot and even tell us to go over to their land and shoot the coyotes so they will stop attacking their sheep.

Just ask around and if you find a place that seems real open maybe ask if you can go shooting with them on their land? Maybe finding connections from other people at the range or local forums too.

Are they any open public lands around you?

12. xpinchx

There is some state land? Can I just go out in the woods and start shooting?

In other news I ran into an old friend last saturday at a bon fire and I guess he acquired 30 acres of land and his neighbors don't mind if he shoots on mondays. :h5: He lives like an hour away though.