A&P Another critque please :x:

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by dmora, Mar 26, 2005.

1. dmora

dmora Guest

I hate everyone of these.
    Too much ceiling.
    Really REALLY bad lighting in the bar particularly.
    Plus it was super over cast today so :dunno:
    Flash was NOT working with me at all.
    Tried bouncing it off poster board, and it just looked like a spotlight. Among the times i could actually get it in a spot to where you couldnt see the hardware or the burst and other times where it wouldnt even fire because it was so bright the slave couldnt diferentiate between the sunlight and the flash.
    only these look usable out of the 50 or so i took. Im going back again for night shots. i think those will come out better. Also need to do some food shots.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mojito

mojito New Member

Pretty good, I like the third a lot. The big problem that I see is the inside exposure is much less than the outside. A little over or a little under is generally good, so show time of day, but yours are nuked. Since it'd be hard to light a whole room with a matching exterior exposure, you might look into a Neutral Density filter set, it will lower the difference between shadows and highlights to create a more ever (although longer) exposure. They come in all densities, as little as 1/3 stop up to 12 stops :eek:

.1 = 1/3 stop,
    .3 = 1 stop,
    .9 = 3 stops etc

3. Dogz

Dogz interior crocodile moderator

i like the first one

4. sony

sony Active Member

5. sony

sony Active Member

Viper's suggestions about the windows are good too. Maybe even do double exposure and do some photoshop work for those windows. :wiggle:

6. mojito

mojito New Member

if the flash is to specular, try a soft box or diffusion flat. I have an omni bounce on my flash and a P-22 for more important shots

7. sony

sony Active Member

I just tried PTlens out for the first time. It is amazing. :noes:

8. chlywly

chlywly Active Member

I love them, but the lighting could have been better; however seems you could fix these up in photoshop; they are too yellow.

9. dmora

dmora Guest

dumb it down a bit with links to buy? :hs:

And make it under 100$ since the bill on this one is only $250 :wtc: i went cut throat prices cause i wanted the business for my portfolio.

10. dmora

dmora Guest

11. dmora

dmora Guest

Yea, i have some shots where the room is pitch dark, but you can see the outside.
    :sad2:
    The rooms just look too yellow or flat for me. The colors dont pop. That blue wall is a brilliant bright blue :sad2:

Any tips on getting the WB right?
    I tried auto, shade, sunlight, tungsten, and tried to grab a preset, but nothing worked.
    I figure i should re-sample the preset for each different view?

12. dmora

dmora Guest

I was using a Sigma 12-24 "pop-eye" filters will be an issue :hsugh: I suspect the best thing would be to PS 2 images, one with blown background and one with visible background.

13. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Daniel, the biggest problem I see is that the room gets so much darker towards the rear where there isn't any light. You really need to add some light in the background to make these shots work. You can do that in two ways.
    1. Actually place a slave or two to light up the background.
    2. Try the technique of "painting" with light. Shoot the same shot at night on a really long exposure and walk around firing your strobe at the walls. As long as you keep moving you won't show up in a time exposure. This is a tricky technique to pull off but it can produce outstanding shots with using only one strobe. When I come back to Austin in a few weeks I can show you how it's done.

14. dmora

dmora Guest

yea i've seen it done its pretty cool :p I'll see about doing that this Sunday when they close early. Should i stop it down to something like f/20 and like a 20 sec exposure or something?

Any suggestions for shots during the day?

15. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

For daytime shots you're simply going to have to add some light to the deep background. For the night shots, you have to set your f/stop for the correct exposure for your flash and keep the lens covered until you're ready to start firing the strobe. Have a buddy hold a black card in front of the lens (the shutter should be locked open) and remove the card when you're ready to fire, then cover the lens, move the strobe to the next location and repeat.

16. dmora

dmora Guest

Ahh... Gotcha. :cool:

17. angel_fiire

angel_fiire ******

I think it would look so much better if you would have taken them at night, the spots on the celling would have accentuated the interior so much more.... and turn on the candles on each table, it gives it a nice touch.

18. dmora

dmora Guest

i'm doing it tonight.

19. dmora

dmora Guest

Corrected one of the shots... front windows corrected, side windows left alone for comparison

[​IMG]

20. sony

sony Active Member

that looks WAY better :noes:

21. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

holy night and day difference batman!!1

Very nice. Is that with the other shot and photoshop?

22. dmora

dmora Guest

yea.

23. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

dan, are you still using custom curves these days? shooting jpeg or raw?

just curious :wavey: (I'm going to try a mild custom curve I found to see if it's more forgiving with highlights)

24. Can you tell me all the settings you used?

I have to shoot my first restaurant this weekend!!! :noes:

It sucks for me because all of my Indoor pics turn out like shit!! :wtc: But my girl is close with the owners of the restaurant and told them that I'm really good and I can take the pictures for them. So now I'm screwed! :noes:

I'm all worried and I think it'll all work out fine. Got any tips for me? Oh and If you could tell me ALL of your settings that would be AWESOME! :bigthumb:

Oh and I'm not sure if the restaurant will be full of people eating or not..... :dunno: