MIL Another Considering Joining the Army Thread v. 18x

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by rb26dett, Dec 30, 2009.

1. rb26dett

rb26dett New Member

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but...

I was doing some research about 18x and it seems like it would be impossible to go to school part time until I actually finish the q course. If I were to make it through, would my lifestyle in special forces give me a chance to take classes on the side?

I couldn't find too much information about life after SFQC, but I imagine it would be non-stop training in between deployments.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  2. rb26dett

rb26dett New Member

I'm not saying that I will or I won't. I know the odds are not in my favor (understatement of the past decade). But I feel determined to do it. If, or, as you would say, when, I don't make it, I'll be disappointed for a bit and move on. I was just wondering if anyone had any information in regards to my question.

3. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

don't go 18X. if you don't make it you get needs of the Army'd and stuck in whatever MOS they need the most.

4. ggr12

ggr12 . OT Supporter

you would just be an 11b since the first portion is Infantry training.

5. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

LOL...no. Do some research dude. Read a book.

6. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

if you want to study while in the military you need to get a desk job that has a relatively schedule.

Combat arms does not

7. Cyan Connect

Cyan Connect Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra. OT Supporter

I agree wholeheartedly.

8. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

18X is obviously not for you.

9. CappyStyles

CappyStyles New Member

You're so fucked. Your head is not even close to in the game. Do you even know the current SFAS selection rate? This is basic open source stuff.

Listen to this. By your total lack of knowledge it appears you have taken almost zero initiative to learn about a career that relies heavily on your personal motivation.

Mmmm.

10. rb26dett

rb26dett New Member

First post. I looked it up, just clarifying with a bunch of people who might have first or second-hand experience.

Didn't mean to get everyone upset.

11. eu4ia

eu4ia Active Member

Not trying to be a Captain Save a Ho here, but I think yall are being overly negative with this guy. At least he isn't coming in here telling us he does drugs and wants to be in the military and sees nothing wrong with it like multiple other people lately.

12. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

a little too harsh if you ask me

yeah sure he won't go anywhere near sf but he may have a good chance of a shot at jump school or something like that :dunno:

13. rb26dett

rb26dett New Member

It's ok. I've been around message boards long enough to know what not to take personally. I've lurked this forum for awhile so I knew what I was getting into by asking.

Thanks, I didn't even know that this was the case with 11b. Looks like I'm going to have to look into more jobs.

See, I AM researching... here on OT.

14. The Method

The Method Lurker In Progress

Combat arms and finishing your degree while on active duty aren't too compatible of lifestyles.

If you want to go 18 series they will almost always let you go to selection later on if you're worth half a shit as a soldier. Infantry or otherwise.

I would suggest joining into an MOS that suits both your interests and needs. While on your first enlistment you can feel out the Army, get some classes taken at some point, and really decide if going 18 series is a choice you want to make and one that is realistic for you.

What people are saying about being reclassified to the needs of the Army is true, so I think my above suggestion might be a safer bet for you overall. At the very worst, you wouldn't be selected and you'd return to your previous or follow on assignment in your assigned MOS.

And don't listen to the haters, if you really want to go 18 series, it's a very realistic possibly for many people. It's not like the regular army, so your experiences on a first tour won't necessarily reflect that lifestyle, but would definitely aid you in your decision.

15. rb26dett

rb26dett New Member

By the way, you guys are making me want to do 18x even more so now. I'll rub it in your e-faces when I make it. Don't tempt me into making a rash decision :squint: :o

16. rb26dett

rb26dett New Member

Thanks for the advice. I'm completely torn now though. I don't want to be stuck behind a desk. But I'd really love to finish school, too.

I'm meeting with a recruiter next week, but I'm worried he'd just tell me what I want to hear.

17. Gaunt

Gaunt blood for the blood god OT Supporter

why not finish school and come in as an officer instead. the army has loan repayment option with adso

18. The Method

The Method Lurker In Progress

You don't have to be stuck behind a desk so to speak, but if I can offer you another piece of advice:

Grow up. If you know that finishing school is a goal you want to complete, complete it. Not everyone grows up to be a GI-Joe-Rambo-mech warrior-one man army killing machine.

The military can be a great way to accomplish a degree for people who don't have loved ones to support them doing so. There are lots of great MOS's out there you can have a great military experience performing and are marketable if and when you decide to leave.

You can do some course work while on active duty if you get an MOS that has a lot of strategic assignments (IT, satellite techs, intel, hell even admin...) and have the financial backing to finish and/or do graduate work after you get out.

Plus the military can be a great leadership tool, resume builder, networking tool, etc etc. If you really want to look into it, look into it for more than 18 series. You can ALWAYS go to a tier 1 selection later on in your military career...

19. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

I smell a bet. It might be a fart, but I think it is a bet.

20. wax

wax New Member

Don't let these guys fool you. You can go to school and be SF. I know guys personally that go to school. Granted, you are going to be worn thin, but it can be done.

21. willijdub

willijdub New Member

after the q and after sut,language, robin sage, etc etc... and youre in a unit, a genuine longtabber, youll have soem time. you could do a few online courses if you wanted... one at a time is my recommendation. i just finished one up at the beginning of december. but until youre completely done with the pipeline, you dont have a fucking moment of time. and then, when you get to a unit, youll deploy asap. so, after you get back is the likely case of earliest you could take a few online courses.

22. wax

wax New Member

Your joking, right?

23. mangid

mangid OT Supporter

who said that shit :rofl:

24. willijdub

willijdub New Member

:rofl::bowdown::rofl::bowdown::rofl::bowdown:..........:hsugh: i cant figure out who the troll is.!!!111