SRS Another cigarette smoker's questions

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TokenWhiteGirl, Jan 10, 2006.

1. TokenWhiteGirl

TokenWhiteGirl New Member

I've been smoking about 8 1/2 years, been through a lot of other addictions and with help (ReHab) got over all of them but cigarettes (the least dangerous of them, actually smoked cigs in ReHab). I've cut down, and sworn a few times that I wouldn't buy another pack. But, it seems like it's the only "comforting" habit I have right now. I know how good I felt when I kicked the rest of my habits, but for some reason this one is just hard for me to let go. When I do certain things I usually smoke during but don't smoke I get really irratated, it's actually hard for me to imagine not smoking now after I realized how much of a hold they had over me. I am a very strong willed person, but I just moved, just started a new job, etc. and in my weaker moments argue (with myself) that I don't need any more stress right now.
    But I HAVE to quit. I have a heart condition, it's not a major problem right now. But, it can get to be one if I continue smoking...
    I'm sure everyone has had a hard time quitting, but I guess I just need a little reassurance and maybe some tips on what I can do to shake the horrible moods/stress I get in when I don't smoke...

2. bmorrell

bmorrell SoCal > *

I'm not much help, seeing how I'm 15 and never smoked, but I've read about this alot. I can't type much right now, but I've heard part of it is the oral/hand fixation.

Basically, that means it gives your hands and mouth something to do, and when you're just sitting around not smoking, you want to occupy those (hands and mouth), so you smoke.

What you should try is getting something else to satisfy those habits. Play with a rubber band, chew gum, listen to music, whatever. Try it, whenever you have a cig craving, pop a stick of gum in your mouth, then see if it's still there in a few minutes. You've got nothing to lose.

Sorry that's all I can say right now, but best of luck to you!

3. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

I would say chew gum, buy yourself some toys to play with, exercise and attempt to stay really really busy. I'm on Day 10 or so now, and as long as I'm busy, it's really pretty easy. The weekends are terrible, and when I hang out with people I use to smoke a lot with, it really sucks.

4. RS

RS New Member

I smoked for over 30 years. Quitting is easy, I've done it many times. :rolleyes:
    Now for some serious notes:
    Every time I failed to quit, I was quitting for someone else, not for me. :noes: I quit on Nov 5, 2005. This time I realized what it was doing to my relationship with my wife. I realized that that was far more important to me than the cigarettes. It has not been easy, but I am committed to succeeding this time. I am using Zyban, which takes care of the physical addiction, but does not do anything for the mental addiction. I do believe that hard candy (sugarless if you want), straws, toothpicks, etc. are useful in getting your mind off smoking wen you feel like you really need one. This time I decided that I would walk whenever I felt the need for cigarette. I would walk around the building, inside or out. I found myself walking as much as 5 miles n a single day. Something interesting happened, I actually started liking the walks. I was feeling better and felt my muscles getting stronger. I like it so much that I am joining a health club so I can do other exercises. I think you need to find a combination of these that will work for you.

The other thing that helped was that I kept track of the days, I am now starting day 75. When you feel like you want a cigarette, remind yourself how many days you have gone without a cigarette. remind yourself that if you smoke, even just one cigarette, you have to start all over again at day 1. Remind yourself how hard it was to get to where you are at and that you really do not want to lose what you have accomplished.

And finally, you need the support of some friends, family and even other people on forums like this. It allows you to share your accomplishments and talk to others that are going through the same thing and can relate to what you are feeling.

I am tasting things like never before. I have more energy and feel much better overall. I still want to smoke from time to time, but it gets farther between cravings and it is easier to fight the temptation. If you smoke at all, even "just one", you will have a considerably more difficult time. Do not allow your self to fall back.

These are just my suggestions and opinions. I hope you decide to quit (your decision). Good luck. :x:

5. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker :werd:

I was a smoker for about 5 years, and the main things that have helped me out are working out (running really helps, it makes you feel better if you're improving your body instead of killing it), realizing how cool it is to not smell disgusting all the time with bad breath, and realizing how awesome it is to have that extra money that isnt going toward cigarettes
    best of luck, and remember, its all in your head

6. nadroj

nadroj OT Supporter

7 year smoker on day 14 :hsd: cold turkey

what helps me is that one of my good friends is also quitting, makes it a lot easier to come home after a long day and bitch to someone that knows what is going on. my friend is chewing the gum and says that it makes you not want to smoke a cigarette afterwards but i have yet to chew a piece. unless you are quiting for yourself you will not last, i also quit several times for parents, girls, new years, but that one day i woke up and could smell my clothes, car, pillows, i asked my brother if i had the "smell" all smokers have he said yeah my mind was set and my friend and i set a day (Jan 4th) to quit. i have also stopped drinking because the urge to smoke while drinking is horrific.

Do i still want to smoke......... :hs: sometimes , but these damn two weeks have been too hard for me to renig on what i have told everyene i know, friends, family, coworkers and just another thing to spend money on. :o

so it goes

7. arpz

arpz New Member

As soon as I started college I started smoking cigs. The more stress there was the more I smoked. 3 years later I found myself a daily smoker, especially menthols. Well it's been 3 weeks since since I last touched a cigarette. I got really sick, my throat was completely sore, and there wasn't a physical way I could smoke. So after the first 3 days of not smoking, after I got better, I realized I could do it. Since then I just stayed away from them. I have gained weight but at the same time I started working out and notice how healthy I feel.

I suggest start running maybe 6 miles a week. Concurrently, give up cigs for a week cold turkey. At the start of the next week you'll see how much easier it is to run those 6 miles. When they get too easy go to 10 miles a week.

8. Teh Jebus

Teh Jebus Active Member

I suggest that everytime you want a smoke, grab a can of soda and drink it. Seriously. That's how my mom quit after 18+ years.

9. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

I tried to quit smoking while IN rehab a few weeks ago against the councilors advice. They were afraid it might sabatoge my recovery from alcohol addiction. After two weeks I admitted that they were right and lit up again. I was issued transdermal patches and nicotine gum while I was in rehab and I think that was a mistake. All it did was keep nicotine in my system without inhaling it. It did nothing for the hand/mouth mental habit. Hard candy and gum helped somewhat but after two weeks I was still climbing the walls aching for just one hit.

I will try again as I become more comfortable in my sobriety. My goal is to begin no later than July 1.
    Plan B:

Quit cold turkey and intense exercise for one week to rid body of nicotine and other related toxins.
    Chew gum and keep lots of hard candy at hand.
    Try a tip my friend, who used to smoke three packs of Kools a day, taught me for the hand/mouth habit. He bought lots of cinnomon sticks and used them like a lit cigarette. You can hold them like a cig, put it in your mouth like a cig and even draw air through it and inhale it like a cig. Very mild and pleasent flavor too.

Hopefully there is some thing you will find in this thread that will help.

Good Luck to us all.

10. B_RowL

B_RowL OT Supporter

Day 1 :hs:

11. B_RowL

B_RowL OT Supporter

True....I've been thinking about quitting for a little while just for the hell of it and I usually smoke 4+ a day. I was going to gradually step down, but I switched cigarettes and they started making me sick so I just quit all together.

Day 2 BTW :hsd: ....not really missing them at all and I'm kind of exicted that I'm quitting.

12. marauder

marauder New Member

Keep it up :bigthumb:

13. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

i will be on this road next week. a friend gave me 2 wks supply of patches/pills. going to start on the 10th of april (I hope, if I'm ready). From what i understand that is the biggest part, being mentally ready for yourself

14. Ancoats

Ancoats New Member

I smoked 9-10 a day for years.

Tried to quit cold turkey, but that wouldnt work.

So I slowly cut down gradually over the months. Cut from 9/10 to 5 for about 2 months, then cut that to 3/4, with 2 on the occasional day, now I'm down to 1 every alternate day.

Doesnt work for everyone, but its the best way that works for me, as I'm a former regular smoker now down to the occasional smoke a few times a week. Hell this week I havent had more than 3 since Sunday.

15. Xicculus

Xicculus OT Supporter

Does hynosis work any?

Or all of those 'clinics' that say it only takes a day?

16. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I was a pack a day smoker for 10 years but was able to quit ~8 years ago. What got me was when a fellow alcoholic said,
    When she said that, it clicked for me. I didn't want to end up with some of the truly horrible, awful diseases that smoking can cause. I wanted to change before it was too late.

But it was very difficult and I had to use many different tricks to keep from picking up that FIRST cig. However, once I quit...I didn't go back and here are some of the things that helped me.

A) I had to battle the addiction to the chemical nicotine. I did that using the patches.

B) I had to battle the cravings. I did that using techniques I learned from AA...putting off the first cig, talking to others about their problems in life (whether it was smoking or not), praying and meditating, exercising, eating healthier, getting enough sleep, etc.

C) I had to battle the tactile issues. Smoking is a particularly unique addiction because we can play with the cigs. We roll them in our fingers, flick the ashes off them, squeeze, tap and do all sorts of things with them. IMO those are as much a part of the addiction as the addiction to nicotine. So I had to have something to do with my fingers. I used to play with unlit cigs or pens or pencils.....anything that was similar to a cig, just to give my hands something to do.

D) I had to battle the breathing issue. Most cigarette smokers only breath deeply when they are smoking. So I started to learn deep breathing exercises and I'd practice them. It's really amazing how much this helped.

E) When all else failed, I had a "fake" cigarette. Meaning, I would "smoke" an unlit cigarett or a pen or pencil. I'd act EXACTLY like I was smoking it but I just wouldn't light it. I would do it when I was working or watching TV but I'd act just as if the cig was lit. It was kinda goofy at first but it really helped.

I had to use all of those different techniques and more to stay away from that first cigarette. It took a long time till I didn't crave them anymore but I'm sooo thankful that I quit. You can't imagine how wonderful it is to be truly free from the addiction of smoking. It's hard but it's soo worth it. Good luck and my God Bless.

17. hopeleslylonely

hopeleslylonely Moo

i'm trying to quit smoking right now too, 2 days smoke free so far, for the oral fixation i'm doing something a co worked told me. I went out and bought the small snack sized slim jims. When i usually would go to smoke i still go outside, except instead of smoking i eat the slim jim then go back inside so i'm still going through the "habit" and have something for my hands/mouth to do but i'm just not smoking. :hs: hope that helps