GUN another CCW holster thread v.tall and skiny

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by DrewDown, Aug 24, 2007.

1. DrewDown

DrewDown OT Supporter

To make this short as possible, I have had my CCW for a few months now. The only holster I have is this Desantis

[​IMG]

I am about 6'5" and thin. It seems most comfortable to carry around 3-4 o'clock. I carry an H&K P2000. The main problem is I print like a mofo. Its pretty bad. And because I am so tall even extra large shirts barely pass my beltline. So that if I do move around the shirt climbs up and catches on the handle of my firearm. Although I have started buying shirts that fit me better I haven't completly changed my wardrobe.

I wanna buy a new, nicer holster today. Maybe something in leather. Any suggestions on what to look for? Tips on avoiding printing? Besides eating more!

Thanks in advance.

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Are you wearing a good belt? Thats step one.

You're 2" taller than me, are you buying extra long (tall) extra large shirts or just extra large? You need at least extra long, if not 2x long. Welcome to not being able to buy shirts anywhere normal or easy, its a great club.

I always like alessi's gear and recommend you email or call him and get a hideout or pch.

3. DrewDown

DrewDown OT Supporter

I wear a thick leather belt but it is not specifically made for CCW. Most of my woredrobe is simply xl shirts you would find at the average mall store. I have started buying a lot of "LRG" brand xl shirts. They are kind of a urban but not ghetto company in my opinion and they fit really good. Where do you find extra long shirts?

I finally found a company called buckle that sells nice jeans in extra long sizes. They are generally around 50 bucks and up but it's worth it to actually be able to find something that fits.

Thanks for the advice I will def. look into alessi.

Here is a pic of my goofy ass for referance. Those dickies shorts are 15" inseam, a full 2" longer than what they sell at most stores. I'll try to snap a pic in a little bit to show the printing.

[​IMG]

4. DrewDown

DrewDown OT Supporter

and I meant to say "Skinny" in the thread title.

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Buy a real gun belt, they're not just thick belts and it will make a difference.

Yeah you need to start buying tall shirts if not 2x tall, at least to wear for concealing things. I usually buy eddie bauer plain tshirts or polos, but there's alot of big and tall shops on the web that should be able to hook you up with long tshirts for the days you want to carry.

6. DrewDown

DrewDown OT Supporter

Thanks, I really appreciate the advice. Were you recommending Alessi for both a holster and belt? I found the number online and will give them a call to see about H&K products.

7. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I can vouch for the alessi holster, but I'd go with an Aker belt. They're much cheaper and still very nice. Get one with the insert.

8. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I've heard nothing but great things about alessi's belts but if you're on a budget you probably should look at options like aker or thebeltman.net

9. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

+1 to thebeltman.net

10. Gimik

Gimik New Member

Don't alessi's belts take forever too? I love the man's work, but it's hard to wait all those weeks for everything :hs:

11. DrewDown

DrewDown OT Supporter

So a gun belt really helps that much? Can anybody explain to me what makes a gun belt different?

12. Gimik

Gimik New Member

it makes a huge difference. It spreads the weight of the weapon evenly so your weapons doesn't sit at an odd angle or cause your pants to sag.

13. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

it's thicker, stiffer, wider, stronger, etc. it helps balance the weight of the gun around your whole waist instead of just pulling down one side, also won't stretch so it will hold the gun/holster tighter to your body.

14. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

As far as I know its all the same line :big grin:

A gun belt is 2 pieces of leather stitched together with the grain running in opposing directions on each piece. This means the edges of the belt won't roll in (pinch your belt between your fingers top to bottom and try to bring them together, it should be like trying to fold a rock). As gimik said this solid belt spreads the load and keeps the holster in the proper position for concealment.

If you want to go even cheaper to try a belt out, try a 5 stitch wilderness instructors belt. I've never tried one but I hear they're quite good for what I think is a dorky looking boyscout belt ;)

15. DrewDown

DrewDown OT Supporter

Alright thanks. I guess I will buy that first.

16. professional 100

17. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

milt sparks vm2 > *

my sig p226 is significantly larger and heavier than my glock 27 (daily carry) but it is more comfortable to carry because this holster is fucking amazing - another friend with a p226 borrowed it for a week and he's buying one now (even though he already has a concealed holster)

btw, i daily carry the glock with a comp-tac ctac holster - i've tried a number of other leather holsters that just don't match the vm2 (but of course you're paying for it)

18. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Beltman gunbelt + Tucker Answer FTW. I'm pretty skinny too and I only print if I bend over.

So to speak. :o

19. Thumper

Thumper OT Supporter

Another plus for Beltman. Love my belt from him.

Same for a VM2. I carry a Sig 226 and forget sometimes it is even there. Great holster.

20. Keesh

Keesh New Member