SRS (anonymous thread)How could I talk to my parents about it?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Darketernal, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I have been smoking mary jane at least once a night for over a year now. I do it responsibly, in safe areas where I am comfortable, and only with people I truely trust (ironically these people are my closest friends). It has all been a secret to my family however.

My dad is a 12 year retired cop, it's been difficult hiding 28 grams of pot in my room at times. My mom works at the church they both attend, both are strong christans and against it because it's illegal.........and nothing else I think. My question is, if I do it responsibly, been able to do it for a year without their knowledge, and enjoy it as a personal hobby (better than drinking IMO),

are there ways I could talk to my parents about them being ok with me smoking it? I'm 18 in 2 months though, so I could just be leading myself into a boot in the ass, out of the door for good. But I would really like to educate them and ask for their suppot in my hobby........I just am sick of hiding it, but I like it too much to quit. It doesn't get in the way of anything in my life, at ALL, and things like reading are much more fun. How could I approach my parents?

2. GanglyGoodness

GanglyGoodness .

i think you might be setting yourself up for failure by doing this. Whether or not Cannabis is less harmful than alcohol will be completely irrelevant to them if they have a uneducated bias (as most people do).

3. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

My guess: You can't.

It sounds like you already know they are against the use of it...bringing it up to them is most likely going to get them to say "stop or get out of my house".

And since it's their house, their rules, they would be legally able to do this.

it's a stretch, but since you have been hiding it from them for a year...you already have your answer.

4. Exiled

Exiled New Member

Keep it to yourself, dont say anything.

5. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

they have an educated bias, and cannibas is not completely harmless so theres no need to compare the two. Maybe you should just not smoke pot, if you cant make yourself quit, then move out. they never need to know.

6. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Pothead at 17?

Damn, I hope you make it through college....

7. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I would suggest they are against it because they know the long term effects of what it can do to someone. It can kill motivation and destroy a promising young life. It is not something that should be toyed with lightly.

I know, I know...I'm an idiot and I just don't understand...but you know, when you've lived the life I have, you would know that I indeed understand.
    No I do not believe there is any way to make them OK with it. They do not believe it is OK and it's not just because it's illegal. Sure that's part of it but that's not the whole story. I do not believe that you can convince them that this is actually a good thing.

Well liking it too much to quit will lead you to a place that is really depressing. Just make a note of this now, continue what you're doing and in 3-5 years, look at this note. You might be surprised at how quickly 5 years just slipped away.
    Well most people that are high are incapable of seeing the ways it affect their lives. That's quite common. However, it's obvious to just about everyone else.

Again I say, I don't think you can ever make your parents OK with this. If you tell them, I do believe there will be hell to pay.

8. Redbeard

Redbeard OT Supporter

They wont understand from your description of them, ever.

9. katt_85

katt_85 OT Supporter

I see no reason to tell them. They wouldn't understand.