SRS Anonymous Post: Parents and Social Things

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Darketernal, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Oct 8, 2002
    I love my parents. I really do. Now one thing you must understand before I go explaining my problem is my mother. Her childhood was not very good, many people put her down and said she would never get anywhere. Well, now she's much farther ahead than any of those people ever were. However, she wanted to provide the best childhood that I could have. This resulted in her helping me a lot with school. That's fine until I'm in 8th grade and she's still doing it. Or Freshman year of high school. It has gotten less over the year, but now the work is catching up to her and she can't handle it. Plus, it makes her miserable and I know I should be doing this all on my own with their help for really hard things only. I talked to my dad and he said to try and just do as much as I can by myself and that we should talk about this with her. I don't really know what to tell her though... Any tips?

Second part is I want to move my computer up to my room. Right now it is near the family room and I get a lot of extra noise and people bargin in all the time. I just need to figure out how to convince them that I'm not moving it up there to start doing drugs or something. :o Disclaimer: I have never and hopefully will never touch a single illegal drug in my life.

Third thing is social situations. I am being much more social than ever before, but I still have problems. I never feel like initiating things and I have problems meeting new people. If a friend tells me to call someone, I choke up and my head keeps telling me to stop. Once I get to know people though, I'm usually very open.
  2. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson Active Member OT Supporter

Oct 11, 2002
    When I first got a computer we had it in the living room. One day I just decided that I'd move it upstairs into my room so I did it. It's probably harder if you're used to asking if you can do something. But I think if you did that it'd show that you're ready to make your own decisions and be independently responsible. It would make it easier for your mom to "let go" of you if you can prove to her that you're strong enough to do things on your own.

I know a girl who is similar. She's 28 and still has to ask her mom about everything. Trust me, you don't want to be like that.