SRS (anonymous post) - Is suicide/euthanasia selfish?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 7960, Mar 28, 2009.

1. 7960

7960 New Member

I was asked to post this here, anonymously, for someone else:

Is suicide/euthanasia selfish? I'm terminally ill, cancer, and have around a month to live they say, but that could mean 3 days or 3 months, you never know until you're dead. the thing is though every day is pretty awful. just moving around is a chore and most of my day is spent in bed, either sleeping or half-way sleeping or just waching tv and movies or somethhing.

i take morphine for pain but its not enough really. i still have a moderate amount of pain and its not just pain that makes the living hard, its the tiredness and unable to walk anywhere without it being a struggle. cant drive anywhere and rarely go outside.

so basically its a waiting game i guess. is it selfish of me to want to just be over already? whenever suicide is discussed people say its a cop-out for pussies and just inflicts pain on others. thats my main concern, when i die i dont want others to be sad. i want people to be ahppy and just like enjoy life and be happy for me that i lived to be even this old.

i want to ask my doctor about it and if he can help me with it but im scared of death and dont want people to remember me as killing myself.

2. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

I see nothing wrong with it personally :dunno: especially when you're in a terminally ill condition such as yourself.

I think it's a better way to go because then you can sort of 'plan' for your passing, and it's somewhat peaceful I guess and it may make you feel better about passing. I work with people who are on their death beds and it's just sad that they have to continue to live in such pain and misery. I hear them say all the time how they wish they'd just go peacefully.

I wish euthanasia were available for folks in this condition, but doubt it'd ever take action; and there'd be controversy over the "natural" way of death and we all know religion would play a big role in the passing of such a law

3. Dodger Blue

Dodger Blue OT Supporter

Not in your case. Suicide may be different when your not going to die and it's unexpected totally by loved ones. But if my loved one had cancer and was living in pain. Or should I say dying in pain because you're really not living anymore :( I'd rather them leave if it meant the pain going away.

4. THoC

THoC New Member

i see nothing wrong with it in your case.

if i was in constant pain and knew i had x amount of time to live i would kill myself.

5. northw3st

northw3st New Member

no - it's the opposite.

it annoys me when people say "how could he do this when there are so many people who care about him?"

they didn't care about him enough to do anything about it.

in other words, we care about you, so don't kill yourself - but i'm not really interested in finding a solution for your problems.

6. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

This is really true , in most cases they only cry and feel sorry if its too late but those lazy bastards never wasted a single effort to stick out their hands and do something about it, although its not like that in every case its definitly true in a lot of cases.

In your case it wouldnt be a problem, its the end of the line for you so why would anyone want you to suffer needlessly any more, especially since your not going to learn anything from it ,it would also not be the loving thing to do to make you suffer needlessly anymore so no one should expect from you to go thru this pain unecessary.

7. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

In your case, I think it would be more acceptable to people, if that is what you are worried about. You get to leave on your own terms, and end the pain.

8. gkremian

gkremian New Member

Absolutely not. People around you will be sad when you pass, but how are you going to create any more pain if you choose to do it yourself, for your reasons, and because you want to, than if you passed naturally? Make yourself happy so that you have no regrets, and end your pain.

I don't understand how people can think its socially acceptable to put down a dog who is terminally ill to spare them the pain, but not acceptable to do the same thing to a human being who has the consciousness to choose their own time and place.

9. k1ko

k1ko OT Supporter

sorry that you are in that position. But I don't see a problem with it either except that maybe the people that love you will have less time with you if you end it yourself. Yes you may be in pain, but each and every day is a precious gift to us all.

10. Deadhead9150

Deadhead9150 Banned

IM me. We have chatted about this before but I figured that we should probably talk again about it. :hs:

11. wow it is really hard to say it, but i do agree with these guys... the only real issue is that i doubt a doctor would agree to that...
    u have my sympathy

12. jizzmo

jizzmo New Member

It's your life, you can choose to end it if you want.

13. Deadhead9150

Deadhead9150 Banned

Pretty sure that's what's happened.:wtc: He hasn't been on aim at all tonight and I got a PM last night saying he planned on doing it and he was just letting me know to say peace.:wtc:

14. MissKitty

MissKitty If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum' OT Supporter

The thought of losing someone I love is earth shattering and life altering. However for them to get to the point where they would want to sacrifice so much and leave this life and the people they love means they have to be in a lot of pain.
    For me to expect them to keep going for me is selfish. For them to what to end the pain is selfish.
    Why does selfish always have to be a negative?
    I support euthanasia, I just pray I never have to have it enter my life in any form

15. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

:sad2:

16. PanasonicYouth

PanasonicYouth New Member

I mean this with the utmost respect and sympathy, please don't take it the wrong way:

You're on the way out anyway, if you want to cut out a great deal of pain, then that's your decision, what difference does 'when' make?

17. MissKitty

What a horrible position for you to be in. However if they have passed they are now pain free and it is what they wanted

18. Deadhead9150

Deadhead9150 Banned

Yeah:hs: Unfortunately this is not my first experience with terminal cancer.

19. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

If someone I'm close to was in so much pain, physical or emotional, that they wanted to end their life and could not be convinced that their life is worth living, I would find it far more selfish of me to tell them to keep living this painful life just because I don't want to be sad when they die.

20. OPM Inc.

OPM Inc. OT Supporter

21. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

To the original poster, I am sorry to hear you are terminally ill. Your post makes you sound very brave, I don't get a sense of fear of death from you.

Personally, I think euthanasia for a terminally ill person is not selfish. You get to leave this world on your own terms. Surround yourself with friends/family when going through it, at least everyone will be around you when you close your eyes and pass.

I feel sad just reading the original post.

22. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

It depends - I am not terminally ill so I can't say anything about that but I am bipolar and do often think of suicide - I've never really come close to trying it but I do think a lot more about it than I think is normal.

It's weird, when I'm depressed it seems like the exact opposite of selfish - I actually get mad that I have responsibilities and people who care about me because if not for them then I could end it easily and the problem would be "solved."

At other times though I feel just the opposite, that it is selfish because no matter how my life feels there have been countless people who have gone on in worse conditions and there are countless people living right now who would love to be in my shoes.

Not sure if that helps at all (I doubt it does) but at least I got to vent a bit for my own sake and maybe it will somehow :dunno:

23. seismic

seismic New Member

I hope the TS is happier now :hs:

24. MissKitty

I thought this might be PiM's :( *sigh*

25. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

I figured it was PiM... :(