SRS [ANON]My friend is trying to quit oxycodone [ANON THREAD]

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by i killed tupac, May 29, 2009.

1. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

[ANON]
    Any tips? He doesn't do to much of it mabey 2 10mg pills every night. Hes not blowing all his money, hes doing well in school, basically he just does it to relax and he hates where he lives and some of the people in his life he has a little depression. I wouldn't imagine that he doesn't need to go to a program or get on anti addiction medications or anything like that? What do you guys suggest? He doesn't want to quit for good he just wants to take a break and he asked me to do some research for him

Thanks

[/ANON]

2. i killed tupac

So, he's doing what he considers small amounts (assuming he's even telling you the truth-drug addicts aren't know for honesty) of illegal narcotics cuz he has to relax and he hates where he lives and the people he lives with, but it's okay because he is doing well in school and has money. Thats minimizing, blaming, justifying and rationalizing. He isn't going to get a program, help, etc, because he doesn't want to stop, he just wants it to be manageable. Oh, and addiction causes depression so that is an even better reason to quit, but it doesn't sound like he can.

He's on a slippery slope, nobody ever thinks they are going to get addicted to anything. We all know someone clearly addicted to alcohol-ask them if they have a drinking problem-they will tell you no. Some of us experienced the same thing. Sure, i got loaded every day, but it wasn't a problem...everybody did it...

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  3. seismic

seismic New Member

"Taking a break" to me is typical addict behavior. What that says is "I can quit for awhile and go back, because i'm not really addicted so it's cool if I just stop for a bit". He's lying to himself. He's addicted. If you think about "taking a break", you're addicted. He should stop before he gets worse.

4. i killed tupac

So true, it's like riding a bike. You cannot change your own brain chemistry, once it's burnt in like that-it's forever. Sadly, the other side of that is you can't stop. He will probably need more help than he can even imagine :hs:

5. i killed tupac

[ANON REPLY]Even with one of two pills aday?
    [/ANON]

6. i killed tupac

Assuming thats all he's actually doing. He's not going to be honest about it. Event then, if that's such a small amount-why cant he just quit? Doesn't work that way.

7. i killed tupac

[ANON] think its more of a mental addiction. I've seen him stop for weeks and hes fine. It usually gets bad when hes stressed out with his girl friend or family[/ANON]

8. i killed tupac

so he is incapable of dealing with normal life stressors without narcotics...

9. i killed tupac

[anon]He wants to get one suboxne. Is that a good idea for him?[/anon]

10. sams0n

sams0n $ OT Supporter

suboxone is better than methadone, but if he really is only taking 2 pills a day he shouldn't need to do something that drastic. he will be much better off if he can just quit opiates completely.

11. gnat

gnat New Member

Oh HELL NO... tell him to sweat it out one weekend and a couple days the next week. Suboxone is fucking horrid to come off of. One may think it's better than methadone but only in the fact that it doesn't mess you up like done does while you're on it. However the half life is longer than done, and if he were to start subs without a taper plan he could easily end up taking them everyday. Suboxone withdrawals aren't cute by any means for those who take it for very long.

I'd go do some more reading, suboxone may sound like a wonder drug but people actually have trouble coming off of 1-2mg a day. The withdrawals can haunt him for weeks and up to but not limited to a month. It's much easier on the mind, body and soul to kick 2 percocets/day within a week(for most of the physical withdrawals) rather than live with those crabby feelings he's worried about for a month or more.

There's alot more I could say about suboxone (even good things) but I just can't in good concious send someone on such a low habbit down that road.

----
    Then of course I'd have him follow up with meetings like eveyrone here will say.

12. seismic

seismic New Member

"Even just two pills a day" speaks right to when I said earlier. He probably needs support to actually go through with it. Try NA or AA.

13. gnat

gnat New Member

Worst thing is that it's really hard to tell someone on two pills a day that they have a problem. Everyone thinks 20mg oxy a day is nothing but each and every withdrawal is relative to one's self IMO.

If he's asking about suboxone that means he's already skipped a day or a dose and quickly realized that he felt like shit without it and that's a good thing for him to have taken note of. That means he's entertaining the idea that he does have a problem whether he believes it's only physical or whatever, he sees it.

It takes some people a lot longer than that to get to that realization, I would support him the best I could in making the right decision to quiting.

There are lots of over the counter meds that can help him if taken properly but I won't go into in this forum.

14. Sooka

Sooka New Member

I've been struggling with painkiller addiction for a little over a year now and there are really only two ways to quit without help. He can stop cold turkey and get through the withdrawals, which in your friends case (if he's telling the truth) will be fairly mild and will only last about three days. If that's not an option for him then he will need to taper down, which is slowly but steadily lowering his dose each night, and if he only takes them at night and doesn't need them to function during the day it will definately be a lot easier for him.

If his addiction is more than just a physical dependance but an actual mental addiction in which no matter how many times he gets through withdrawals he keeps coming back to it, he should either be put on suboxone or methadone. Suboxone is the best choice in that case because it is much easier to taper off of, has easier withdrawals, and is a lot safer and generally a more flexible drug. Those who are put on methadone will only keep getting their dose raised until they're sky high and then getting off of it will be over a month of pure living hell. Some people end up staying on methadone for the rest of their lives because it is so much harder to get off of it, harder than heroin if your dose is high enough.

You should definately help your friend get some more information about his addiction because opiate addiction is no joke and can seriously fuck up his life. You should just hope he's only taking 20mg a night and help him get more info on the drugs from websites like erowid.org or bluelight.ru]

Opiate addiction is pretty fucking brutal even if you're not shooting heroin or taking incredibly high doses, so make sure he knows what he's dealing with before he carelessly keeps popping more pills. I have a friend who started at the exact same time I did and while I've been trying to quit now doing very small doses of suboxone (less than 1mg per day), he on the other hand doesn't give a fuck and is doing OVER 400 MG OF OXYCODONE per day and will probably end up on the streets or killing himself. The difference between him and I are that he never cared to learn about the drugs or understand what his addiction is, while I only began to change my habits once I actually learned more about opiates and what life becomes like on them. So education about the substance is definately in important step for getting the confidence to quit.

If he's really your friend then do everything you can to keep him from digging himself into a deeper hole, I lost a lot of friends to opiate addiction and bottomed out on it several times myself, it stopped getting fun when I started building a tolerance and withdrawing every time I woke up. After you realize that you're only doing it to feel normal and you don't even get high off of it anymore, it becomes a complete nightmare that you wish you've never gotten yourself into; a void in you that keeps eating away at you from the inside and turns you into a fiend that blows whole paychecks on pills.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009