SRS Annoying Roommate/"friend"

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BwanaKuu, Nov 22, 2008.

1. BwanaKuu

BwanaKuu New Member

So my roommate right now is incredibly annoying. As a roommate he's ok (we had some issues but worked those out). The problem is, he is so annoying in social situations. Our dorm is divided up into 4 halls (16-20 people per hall) on each floor and our hall has really gotten along well (we hang out all the time and people from other halls specifically come to our hall all the time just to chill). The problem is, my roommate is part of this bunch. We all absolutely hate his annoying ass. He's an incredibly arrogant douchebag, he's disgusting, thinks he knows everything, lies all the time, etc. I wouldn't care if he was just my roommate and didn't try to be friends as well. But he follows us around when we go to parties on the weekend and other places and it's just annoying as fuck. I would just ignore him/flat out tell him to gtfo, but he's my roommate... And we can't change roommates unless there's a big issue.

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in On-Topic, but does anyone have some advice for dealing with this?

2. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

You and your friends should act like adults. Sit down as a group and discuss your differences.

3. BwanaKuu

BwanaKuu New Member

We have told him multiple times about his problems. He just doesn't seem to get the message that we don't like him. I even told him I didn't like him because he's extremely condescending towards everyone he meets and he was just like "well, that's who I am." Ok, fine you can be that way, but we don't like it. I've told him this before and he just doesn't seem to get it. I guess I'll just have to deal with it for the rest of the year (no way he's living with any of us next year).

4. DayMan

DayMan Serenity NOW!

Say if you are going out to a party and you dont want him to tag along just say "hey man, i was making my plans for me and my other friends, im sorry dude but sometimes you gotta find shit to do on your own."

5. BwanaKuu

BwanaKuu New Member

Hmmm, I could try this, but he'll just tag along with someone else in this group of friends. Some kids have tried to ditch him before but he still follows them even though they've pretty much made it clear they don't want him to follow them. I would be fine if he just followed us to the places, but it's the fact that he clings to me like glue once we get inside. Really screws things up because I'll be having a perfectly fine conversation or dancing and he'll just say something so annoying or just stand there in the middle of the dance floor looking at me.

6. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Deal with it :dunno: That's honestly the best and only advice.

7. BwanaKuu

BwanaKuu New Member

I think this is the only solution for now. I would get very harsh with him if he wasn't my roommate... I kind of have to get along with him. He has also displayed that he has a MASSIVE temper problem and I feel he would freak out if I got too harsh. Oh well, next year it won't be a problem because most people from my dorm get singles or a suite with their friends. :x: I feel a bit bad because he seems like he has very low self-esteem (I sort of do too but I keep working on it) but still, he is incredibly annoying and seems to think he's the shit and everybody else is nothing, probably to cover up his insecurities. One of my friends actually has been trying to help him (for some reason he can put up with his shit) but he just doesn't seem to want to change at all.

8. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

You will only be his roommate for how much longer? Think about that. I had the world's worst roommates at the beginning of college but I just dealt with it and happily moved on when the time came. You other best option is if you do have somewhere to go just go. If he asks where you are going very calmly say you've just got plans with some friends :dunno:

9. BwanaKuu

BwanaKuu New Member

Until the end of freshman year. I know it's not the end of the world, but is still frustrates me. Hah, that's what we do anyway. I'll go over and ask people what they're doing that night but the thing is he'll end up finding out about the plans somehow and want to go with us even though we don't want him to. I basically try to ignore him now and so does much of the group I am friends with and it worked a little bit. I just hope he realizes you do not need to become best friends with your roommate, you just need to get along in the room and that's it. If you click well, then great, but I don't think I'd want to live in one room with my friends, it would just be too much of them all the time.

10. weezyfbaby

weezyfbaby New Member

Sounds like my old roomie who had ADD, he was so annoying and would constantly try to latch along with me and my friends even though we made it clear we didn't like him just tagging along.

It would be fine with me if he tried to socialize or hang out or even talk to other people but he seriously would just be attached at the hip to me and my buddies and make it awkward with anything we tried to do.

VERY annoying but just deal with it, it'll make you a better person I'm sure

11. BwanaKuu

BwanaKuu New Member

He's "friends" with another kid on our hall (who has him completely whipped and makes him do everything for him). Everyone else thinks he's an annoying prick. I think he knows that people think this of him and yet, he doesn't care and continues to be the same way. I even confronted him a few weeks ago about his attitude problems and he still was just like "that's who I am and that's how all my friends are." I don't think he realizes that not everyone is going to be like his home friends and he's going to need to make adjustments if he really wants to get along with people. We've made this pretty clear and yet, there he is every fucking weekend wanting to go out with us. I think it's mostly because of the living arrangements and the close connection the people on my hall have. Maybe when he isn't living so close to us next year (and trust me, none of us are letting him room/live near us and we're trying to get rooms near each other again :x:) it won't be nearly as bad.

Doesn't help that he's also incredibly disgusting and a total slob.

I feel a little sorry for him because he probably won't have any friends after this year, but that's also his fault for being such an asshole.

12. weezyfbaby

weezyfbaby New Member

seriously, sounds exactly like one of my old roommates, thank god I don't even have to think about seeing/talking to him anymore

13. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

Deal with it for now and next semester live alone nothing better than living alone no one else's shit to deal with

14. BwanaKuu

BwanaKuu New Member

Yup, hopefully gonna live in a single in a suite with some friends or atleast close to them. I don't really like having a roommate in general, can't really "get away" from it all if you want to because there's still someone in the room. Even if they were my best friend, I would still want some alone time occasionally. I love living in the dorms and being around so many people, but a roommate where I sleep isn't the best.

Anyway, this is turning into a fucking blog, I feel a little better now that I've complained about this. :mamoru: