Annoying home sub problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by IDAFC21, Aug 19, 2002.

1. IDAFC21

IDAFC21 New Member

Ive got a JBL 10inch 100 watt sub for my home theater system thats probably a good 5 years old or better, but working good, EXCEPT for one little thing. I dont really know how to describe it but its like theres interference in it or static or somthing whenever its on. Its constantly got like "noise" coming from it when its on even when theres no signal going to it, it just kinda rumbles and somtimes makes a POP sound like when you first turn it on. Its not the cables cuz ive switched em and it still does it...its not the reciever cuz you can disconnect it and it still does it, so I'm thinking its in the sub somewhere. Anyone have any clue what might be causing this? My guess is the subs just finally going since ive had it for so long, but if theres any easy fix to whatever it might be i'd rather do that than get rid of it

2. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

what kind of cables are you using?

3. 04

04 Guest

I would almost say it is going out. BUT, first try using a cheater plug that eliminates the ground, you possibly have a ground loop. Since you have removed the cables and the problem is still there I would imagine a better sheilded cable wouldn't help, but it could. The fact that it just rumbles without a signal present and randomly pops seems to indicate their is a problem with the amplifier. How loud are the pops and the rumble?

4. IDAFC21

IDAFC21 New Member

I was thinkin it was probably the amp too, but who knows. The rumbles are kinda loud, not REALLY loud, but loud enough, and the pops are usually louder than the rumbles but those dont really happen very often, just every so often. I THINK when i turn down the volume on the back of the sub it goes away.....so, amplifier? Oh, and loudsystem, i had cheapy cables on there, but then put monster cables in, but like i said, it does it even when no cables are hooked up to it at all

5. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Sounds like an IC chip is going out. Mine had a similar problem. I replaced the IC chips (at a local repair shop), and the problem stopped. I would also try going the route of the cheater plug as well. Ground loop hum is evil.

6. IDAFC21

IDAFC21 New Member

Hmm....whats a cheater plug? How do i do that?

7. 04

04 Guest

A cheater plug is a plug that you plug a 3 pronged electrical outlet into, and the output is only two prong. It is not as safe obviously as using the 3 prong, but it can get rid of ground loops. I had to do this with my Behringer feedback destroyer.