Annoying hiss from my tweeters...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by suprropmp, Mar 16, 2005.

1. suprropmp

suprropmp New Member

I just installed some mb quart components and I have a really annoying hiss coming out of the tweeters (even when the music is paused). I've determined it isnt engine whine becuase it doesnt increase when i rev the engine. What can I do to fox this?

2. 04

04 Guest

Are you running your speakers off the headunit or an external amplifier?

3. suprropmp

suprropmp New Member

the whole component set is being amplified by an old 2 channel kenwood amp

edit: you really cant run components without amplification

4. calliz

calliz New Member

Hmm... do you have the proper amperage specs?

5. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

lol, 04 knows you can't run speakers without an amplifier. Your head unit has an internal amplifier though, which is why he asked. Maybe your old kenwood amp is busted. You could try temporarily hooking up one component set to your head unit's amp and seeing if the hiss goes away. Then you can either narrow it down to the Kenwood or the RCA preouts of your head unit.

6. 04

04 Guest

Sure you can run a component set off a headunit :dunno:

As for the problem you're having, have you tried turning the gain down on the amp? What is it set at right now?

7. suprropmp

suprropmp New Member

the gain is just under 70% right now... i dont think its a gain problem

I'll try hooking up another amp this weekend

8. calliz

calliz New Member

OK... I'm an audio engineer, but I don't really deal with car installations or component level issues.

So I talked to one of my old classmates who's worked with that for a while.

He says it's probably the noise floor from the circuitry of your old amp. Newer, better amps have better, quieter circuitry at louder levels and work better with the new efficient speakers you have.

9. 04

04 Guest

70 percent is pretty high. Try turning it down to 10-20 percent and see if the hiss goes away.

10. suprropmp

suprropmp New Member

ok update: i tried a different amp (a newer one) and the noise was still there...

If i turn the gain down the noise gets quiter but does not go away. However, I noticed something wierd happening. Out of the right side tweeter along with the hiss there is something that sounds like engine whine. However, I don't think its engine whine as there is no trace of this from the left side tweeter.

Also, on the gain issue, the music sounds good and there is no distrotion as far as I can tell.

This is so frustrating =/ I'd leave it like this but I dont want to damage my tweeters

11. Rocker_II

Rocker_II K-Car pride

Maximize your SNR. Drop the gain of the external amp, increase the level at the source. Also, try a different source. It seems like your deck might be the cause of all this mischief.

12. suprropmp

suprropmp New Member

Please explain what that means.

Also, I don't think its the head unit... its a pioneer deh-p7600mp thats only about a year old. I do think it has something to do with the head unit ground though, I'll have to find a better place to ground it tomorrow.